Sign in to follow this  
phore

Chanting names of goddess

Ok so i have been reading a wicca book. They speak of a ritual where they spin in a circle and chant names of goddesses.

What effect would chanting goddess names as a mantra/chant have

Should i use multiple goddesses or just one.

has anyone heard some good goddess chanting music

i am interested in the following an the following

a circle is cast

any experience with this

thanks

I'm going to be rude here... wicca is bogus

chanting, mantra's, wicca, witchcraft, crystals, sigil's, signets, spells, potions, rituals all that jazz... bogus...

don't waste your time with it.

Stick to a good system of qigong or neigong like spring forest, or the system laid out in that book "the tao of meditation", robert bruce's new system also gets results.

Edited by mwight

chanting, mantra's, wicca, witchcraft, crystals, sigil's, signets, spells, potions, rituals all that jazz... bogus...

Stick to a good system of qigong or neigong like spring forest, or the system laid out in that book "the tao of meditation", robert bruce's new system also gets results.

I agree that most modern wicca is superficial however, with the right viewpoint and some experience with Truth, Tao, God, Life Force, etc. these techniques can be more than superficial. There are many paths that can lead to the goal - many more than just the few that you've mentioned. "Good" is subjective, some paths may be faster or more effective but there are as many types of people as there are paths - just need to find a right fit! Actually, this is why there are so many different Gods/Goddesses in some traditions such as Hinduism.

Phore, to answer your question, that is a combination of two techniques. Chanting the name/mantra will quiet your other thoughts (as does any chanting). The twirling will help you locate your 'center'. As you twirl, you will find that you are in the center, everything else is spinning except for the very core of your being.

I'm not sure of the origin of chanting but the twirling technique is found heavily in Sufism.

All the best!

-Nate

Edited by Unconditioned

Ok so i have been reading a wicca book. They speak of a ritual where they spin in a circle and chant names of goddesses.

a circle is cast

any experience with this

thanks

I haven't got much of an idea about Wicca. But Mantra chanting is not "Bogus" like the other commenter has suggested. Mantras that are in Sanskrit contain energy that is activated when resonated (there are four levels of Mantra chanting...in fact of speech -- Vaikhari, Madhayama, Pashyanti and Para) via practice. They also act as an excellent tool towards silencing the mind. Sanskrit because the 50 basic sounds/alphabets of Sanskrit are primordial sounds that tap into various energetic configurations of the Universe.

Mantras are composed in various meters (rythms) and these meters have specific effect on the practitioner/listener.

Please look up Devi Sahasranama (or Lalita Sahasranama) Lalita Sahasranama -- The Thousand Names of the Divine Mother.

Lalita Sahasranama on Youtube

As the saying goes -- the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I haven't got much of an idea about Wicca. But Mantra chanting is not "Bogus" like the other commenter has suggested. Mantras that are in Sanskrit contain energy that is activated when resonated (there are four levels of Mantra chanting...in fact of speech -- Vaikhari, Madhayama, Pashyanti and Para) via practice. They also act as an excellent tool towards silencing the mind. Sanskrit because the 50 basic sounds/alphabets of Sanskrit are primordial sounds that tap into various energetic configurations of the Universe.

Mantras are composed in various meters (rythms) and these meters have specific effect on the practitioner/listener.

Please look up Devi Sahasranama (or Lalita Sahasranama) Lalita Sahasranama -- The Thousand Names of the Divine Mother.

This is daily practice in my lineage. Just feel the names, even better if you can know their meanings and you can simply feel HER next to you, in you, around you.... and then there is only HER...

Here's another very powerful composition --

Mahishasura Mardini

i practice neigong

also im currently using the ara kara mantra

a=primordial sound

ra= fire

Ka=principle of matter

ra=fire

ara kara is used to remove impossibility from the mind.

ara strengthins the internal image

kara creates it externally

From what i understand of wicca its shamanism

shamanism=trance

^_^

Edited by phore

How do you know that mantras are primordial sounds, no one truely knows its all hear say, what we are told!! :(

The scriptures, from where the practices originate, say so! And because the benefits obtained by reciting these mantras are for anyone to experience, there is no harm in believing them. How do you know Tai Chi works? Because you practice sincerely and you get results. Try, get initiated by a competent master, practice and then decide! Thousands of years of legacy in India and Tibet with lifetimes spent in practicing Mantra Yoga is not a joke! And Indians don't do anything that does not pay back well :lol:

Edited by SiliconValley

a circle is cast

any experience with this

thanks

Hey Phore, contrary to certain opinions, Wicca at its roots is an authentic path of spirituality. Unfortunately the combined effect of Judaic oppression and modern faddish distortions has enmeshed Wicca with many layers of unneccessary debris. As such finding a good source can be difficult.

Much of the ritualistic work, chants etc serve merely as a means to hone and tune the mind/intent so that the practitioner can become a self-determining being, shaping one's own destiny. At the deeper levels you encounter the Hebrew Kabbalistic Tree of Life and the Hermetic sciences. At this level you embark on the Great Work of Hermes/Thoth.

As indicated much of Wicca finds its roots in Egyptian Mysticism, I believe our forum Egyptologist is apepch7 who has beautifully shared his insights in these threads:

My understanding of the Egyptian Ka and the Akh

Questions about Egyptian Mysticism

As already indicated by others we also see influences from the Indo/Hindu tradtions.

A common circle chant is:

"Isis, Astarte, Diana, Hecate, Demeter, Kali, Inanna."

This appears prominently and poignantly in:

The Burning Times by Charlie Murphy

In the cool of the evening, they used to gather,

'neath the stars in the meadow circling an old oak tree.

At the times appointed by the seasons of the earth and

the phases of the moon.

In the centre often stood a woman, equal with the others

respected for her worth.

One of the many they call the witches, the healers and

the teachers of the wisdom of the Earth.

And the people grew in the knowledge she gave them,

herbs to heal their bodies, spells to make their spirits whole.

Hear them chanting healing incantations, calling for the wise ones

celebrating in dance and song.

Isis, Astarte, Diana, Hecate, Demeter, Kali, Inanna.

There were those who came to power, through domination.

They were bonded in their worship of a dead man on a cross.

They sought control of the common people by demanding allegiance

to the church of Rome.

And the Pope he commenced the inquisition, as war against the women

whose powers they feared.

In this holocaust, in this age of evil, nine million European

women they died.

And a tale is told of those who by the hundreds, holding hands together

chose their deaths in the sea.

While chanting the praises of the Mother Goddess, their refusal of betrayal

women were dying to be free.

Now the Earth is a witch, and we still burn her. Stripping her down

with mining and the poison from our wars.

Still to us the Earth is a healer, a teacher and a mother.

The weaver of a web of life that keeps us all alive.

She gives us the vision to see through the chaos,

she gives us the courage, it is our will to survive!

Isis, Astarte, Diana, Hecate, Demeter, Kali, Inanna

Edited by Stigweard

Phore, interesting do you have any good websites for that mantra and information on that?

Ape

Sri siva website

sri siva or siva baba is wayne dyers teacher. He comes from the hindu tradition. he teaches ara kara, ah, and many others

he posts many videos on youtube too.

Wayne dyer also has some mantra cds.

this was the line in the book that inspired me to create this thread

thanks

Edited by phore

How do you know that mantras are primordial sounds, no one truely knows its all hear say, what we are told!! :(

These were revealed to the Vedic Seers when they were immersed deep in meditation. Also, the effects of these sounds are there for anyone to experientially verify. Mantras are not by themselves primordial sounds, but combinations of the 50 basic sounds that form the foundation for Sanskrit as a language.

But I guess there will always be skeptics...so there is nothing more to say about it. The proof of the pudding is in it's eating...

I agree with the pudding proof statement. I think alot of people are not so convinced that mantra is effective. It seems counter intuitive as a way of stilling the mind by filling it with a broken record. But it does work well, I feel the energy flows rise, and it is a shortcut to a heightened qi level, or deeper meditational state. Theres little effectiveness in doing stillness if your mind is nattering along, and I find its best to switch to mantra.

NLP: At some point the mantra is going to act as an anchor to the meditational state, so doing a few mantras will fire off that anchor of mental focus/physiological relaxation and boom you are there. Another thing is anchoring the inner dakini, which to me is some combination of love, sensuality, feminine qualities.

As far as primordial sounds and special contact or help from the deity, its quite hard to independently judge the validity of that. But given the long history of mantra, you'd have to be some kind of clown not to believe it.

wicca is absolute bs.

I challenge anyone who says otherwise to give one example of a true "wiccan" master at or above john chang's level.

wicca is absolute bs.

I challenge anyone who says otherwise to give one example of a true "wiccan" master at or above john chang's level.

Firstly I am not Wiccan even though I have both researched and experienced the Wiccan tradition, so I can claim no authority on the subject. And whilst indeed Wicca as such is a relatively recent creation its roots are well established in the shamanic traditions of Europe and the near east including, as mentioned, Egyptian mysticism.

And I don't know John Chang, his level, nor the authenticity of his abilities and teachings so such a comparison is not even relevant.

To me the bottom line is that if the individual has sufficient personal power and insight then any path, tradition, book, or teacher can lead to a fulfilled life.

I practice the Gayatri mantra and you do not need an empowerment to practice this mantra. This is according to Thomas Ashley-Farrand who is considered an expert on mantras and has authored many books on the subject.

This has different views. Probably the mantra gives a lot of benefit even without initiation but certainly better to get initiated. Gayatri has her mudras, nyasa [ritualistic identification of the letters of the mantra in the body], specific forms of meditation based on the purpose and all these enhance the practice. Again, the scriptures which reveal the Gayatri mantra insist on initiation from a Guru who has himself had Siddhi of the mantra. Every Hindu practices this mantra for it is the universal mantra in the Vedas and the rite of initiation, almost mandatorily performed, is called upanayan. Also there are four different intonations of the mantra and who uses what depends on the lineage, the family, the branch of Veda one studies and so on..

Also there are four different intonations of the mantra and who uses what depends on the lineage, the family, the branch of Veda one studies and so on..

Do you mean 4 different vaikhari intonations? Does intonation = melody?

Sign in to follow this