Squatting Monkey

The Teaching Of The Buddha

The essence of what the Buddha taught can be summed up in ten words.

'All that is subject to arising, is subject to ceasing.'

I'm not talking about Buddhism. The Buddha didn't teach Buddhism. That came hundreds of years later along with different sects, sub sects, sutras, mantras, rituals and dogma.

The Buddha taught liberation through insight (vipassana). Seeing things as they are.

Reflect on these words. Contemplate their meaning. Meditate upon them. Over and over. Day after day.

You don't need anything else. This is a pure undiluted simple teaching but it's depth is unfathomable. Eventually you will understand and your whole world will change.

SM

Works for me :)

The essence is always simple.

I don't know about becoming enlightned or a Buddha, but I think the trick of life is to become awakened. See things fresh, realize things come and go, enjoy the now.

Michael

I'm not talking about Buddhism. The Buddha didn't teach Buddhism. That came hundreds of years later along with different sects, sub sects, sutras, mantras, rituals and dogma.

The Buddha taught liberation through insight (vipassana). Seeing things as they are.

Reflect on these words. Contemplate their meaning. Meditate upon them. Over and over. Day after day.

You don't need anything else. This is a pure undiluted simple teaching but it's depth is unfathomable. Eventually you will understand and your whole world will change.

SM

The mantras were way before Shakyamuni Buddha taught them to living beings in his time. They were, and are still, used in many different realms. He taught mantras, one being specifically the Shurangama Mantra. Another one, the recitation of Amitabha Buddha, Earth Store Bodhisattva, Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva...though those beings introduced that method of reciting their names, he certified it to be of good merit and much benefit to one's cultivation.

:D

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Good way to sum it up, I think. Of course it helps to have some more commentary, sometimes. :lol:

The reverse must then also be true: all that is subject to ceasing is subject to arising.

All in all, it's not a bad contemplative tool, but by no means the best. The best is to contemplate your own intention at its deepest level. This is far superior to contemplating a formula about cessation.

Any observant person will get enough renunciation just naturally, over time. However renunciation is not all there is to life.

As another wise sage said:

"Drink the nectar of renunciation to your fill,

And then renounce renunciation itself" :)

In reality the proper "place" cannot be described. You find yourself there over time if you are a contemplative sort.

SM

While I agree that the doctrine of impermanence is at the very core of Buddhism, it is dangerous to become too attached even to this doctrine, or any other for that matter. After all, this doctrine itself has arisen and therefore must cease.

:)

While I agree that the doctrine of impermanence is at the very core of Buddhism, it is dangerous to become too attached even to this doctrine, or any other for that matter. After all, this doctrine itself has arisen and therefore must cease.

:)

Like if change is the only constant than change to must change ... but to what?

Edited by Stigweard

Like if change is the only constant than change to must change ... but to what?

Change is the constant of relativity. It is not a truth, but a falsity. As it reaches its highest point, it proceeds

to its lowest one, and then it does it all again.

Stop thinking, then there is no change to be made.

Peace,

Lin

I disagree with that last sentence. True concepts only cease when we stop being aware of them...that doesn't mean they cease to be true.

All that is subject to arising, is subject to ceasing

Let me disagree, please.

The Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

This is the essence of Buddhism.

SUFFERING is what started the whole thing.

Namo Aryavalokitesvaraya Bodhisattva Mahasattva Mahakarunakaya.

Impermanence is a good object. There's also emptiness.

As Daniel Imgram says: "It doesn't last, ain't real and doesn't satisfy."

Though I must admit I've never heard a doctrine of unsatisfactoriness.

I disagree with that last sentence. True concepts only cease when we stop being aware of them...that doesn't mean they cease to be true.

I understand your point, however, if there is no presence of rational human thought to judge true vs not-true, is truth meaningful? Is truth meaningful without mind to judge it relative to non-truth?

Let me disagree, please.

The Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

This is the essence of Buddhism.

SUFFERING is what started the whole thing.

Namo Aryavalokitesvaraya Bodhisattva Mahasattva Mahakarunakaya.

So the stimulus for the development of Buddhism is suffering and it's resolution comes about through the recognition of impermanence. I think we're all on the same page.

The major difference I find between these perspectives is whether we choose to focus on the suffering or it's resolution - is the incense burner half full or half empty?

I understand your point, however, if there is no presence of rational human thought to judge true vs not-true, is truth meaningful? Is truth meaningful without mind to judge it relative to non-truth?

So the stimulus for the development of Buddhism is suffering and it's resolution comes about through the recognition of impermanence. I think we're all on the same page.

The major difference I find between these perspectives is whether we choose to focus on the suffering or it's resolution - is the incense burner half full or half empty?

Be careful with getting into abstract thinking because Buddhism is a very practical method. Ending suffering is the main goal not trying to understand why reality works in a certain way or if there is an ultimate creator.

Impermanence (anicca) is part of the so-called Dharma seals, being the other two: anatta (selflessness) and dukkha (suffering). So what's your point?

This is what caused Siddharta to take up ascetism:

348oms8.jpg

+

72dt3k.jpg

+

30kua34.jpg

+

aeu1k1.jpg

+

oqxht0.jpg

+

11rznk3.jpg

246jf3c.png

+

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=GBv2jMcAf70&...feature=related

+

2uhs2yt.gif

Going to the trenches as he did and not getting involved in petty discussions like we do sitting on our comfy seats in front of a Mac. :D

n62gye.gif

Let's not oversimplify things. Is the True Mind impermanent? Is Nirvana impermanent?

Outside samsara there is nirvana, a mind-state where one is free of karma and rebirth. Only a Buddha can experience nirvana.

What is the purpose of asking these strange questions?

:blink:

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Truth is the way things are regardless of whether there's rational thought or mind to judge it, or not. A truth is: "everything that arises, ceases". It's true and will never be untrue, regardless of anything.

Outside samsara there is nirvana, a mind-state where one is free of karma and rebirth. Only a Buddha can experience nirvana.

What is the purpose of asking these strange questions?

:blink:

They were rhetorical questions I was using to point out that the True Mind is not impermanent. Without this, Buddhism would have no meaning or simply be a form of nihilism.

Going to the trenches as he did and not getting involved in petty discussions like we do sitting on our comfy seats in front of a Mac. :D

I wonder if Gautama would have participated in a forum if he were alive today?

:D

How did you know I just got a new Mac? It's my first Mac and I'm diggin' it!

B)