Sign in to follow this  
rookie

Death, Life, and Meaning

I just came back from my brother's funeral services. This experience brings these questions right to the front. In my physical/energy practice I am building a container for spiritual awakening, for wholeness, for healing, for realizing the one. The extra energy, stillness, flexibility and strength are all side benefits. So I am not after special powers. I didn't have this stated goal when I began. I was just drawn to it, my practice being qigong, taiji, and providing an enviornment for the unfolding of conciousness.

I am not necessarily thinking extremely clearly right now, but I wanted to share with this group my feelings right now about how precious life is. Even though I don't have the answers about ultimate meaning, one can easily see and sense that life here on this planet is a precious gift. The one sure thing is that if you are here, you will leave some day. We come into this world innocent and pure. We meet pain, learn to build a false self identity, and create a lot of suffering for ourselves, and others. It seems we have lost our way. Then the meaning (for myself anyway) becomes finding your way back in conciousness to the source, not that you can really be separated from it (so they say), so maybe better stated as droping the illusion or waking from the dream.

Anyway, the feel of it is wholeness, becoming whole again, and healing the essential wound.

I am keenly aware of this purpose right now, more than at normal times.

I wanted to share this and open a discussion of how you find meaning, purpose and direction in your life and how your practice plays a role in it.

Peace to all.

I just came back from my brother's funeral services. This experience brings these questions right to the front. In my physical/energy practice I am building a container for spiritual awakening, for wholeness, for healing, for realizing the one. The extra energy, stillness, flexibility and strength are all side benefits. So I am not after special powers. I didn't have this stated goal when I began. I was just drawn to it, my practice being qigong, taiji, and providing an enviornment for the unfolding of conciousness.

I am not necessarily thinking extremely clearly right now, but I wanted to share with this group my feelings right now about how precious life is. Even though I don't have the answers about ultimate meaning, one can easily see and sense that life here on this planet is a precious gift. The one sure thing is that if you are here, you will leave some day. We come into this world innocent and pure. We meet pain, learn to build a false self identity, and create a lot of suffering for ourselves, and others. It seems we have lost our way. Then the meaning (for myself anyway) becomes finding your way back in conciousness to the source, not that you can really be separated from it (so they say), so maybe better stated as droping the illusion or waking from the dream.

Anyway, the feel of it is wholeness, becoming whole again, and healing the essential wound.

I wanted to share this and open a discussion of how you find meaning, purpose and direction in your life and how your practice plays a role in it.

Peace to all.

My thoughts are with you.-

As I write here often - we are in a real sense all one thing - as part of the Tao- we are always in a state of flux and "doomed/blessed" to be changed into something else at the time of our deaths...

It is with a deep sadness for us, that knowing these losses on this physical plane are pretty much the one thing we can count on. accepting this reality is difficult but need not over- whelm us we go on as part of the whole... energy is just changed - the question of our consciousness is many facited and I willl not presume to state that I know -

but I have had out of body experiences that lead me to believe that life -as consciousnous- does go on-

hang in there - Pat

Pesonally I think there is only one justification for being alive ... to live it, fully, completely ... grasping every moment and savouring every delicate flavour and texture ... giving yourself fully to every moment and applying every ounce of your personal power and knowledge.

Your post made me think of this:

"Our whole existence is nothing but a long apprenticeship to enable us to survive the disasters that come either from without or within us, until the quiet hours of the evening, the sunset, and the good death, for which, during this whole long life, we have been secretly prepared through the return within the advancing of time."

Sorry for your loss.

Peace to all.

Sometimes life gets very confusing, cloudy and downright hurtfull. Other times life is happiness, laughter and joy. Finding meaning in something that can change drastically from one minute the next can be difficult but the main thing is to hang in there. For some, life is about themselves, for others it's about everyone else but themselves. Finding peace in all of this, is the meaning for me. Giving as much of yourself as you can and not being greedy or spiteful and being kind to others and compassionate and loving all life is meaning for me. Although, I'm an asshole but I still love ya brother!! :) ..and Sister!!!!

My thoughts are with you.-

As I write here often - we are in a real sense all one thing - as part of the Tao- we are always in a state of flux and "doomed/blessed" to be changed into something else at the time of our deaths...

Thank you Pat,

I also have had experiences that show me there is more to us than this bodily life. I am not fearful of my own death (not now anyway) but somewhat sad for the state of my brothers life at the end. I have been drained by the grief of the last few days, and the suffering of my other family members. Somehow it seems that resisting the reality is really draining, and that letting it go and just letting the feelings flow is healthier, and what can you do anyway?

I like what you have written, that being part of the dao we are always in a state of flux. That's a good reminder.

In my early adult years I struggled a lot and eventually succeded by outward measures. But I find that struggling and effort is not productive when it comes to following the dao. It is an inward letting go that is sometimes hard to do.

It is interesting that when I was a young boy my father, a crusty old ex marine, would tell me that the only constant in life is change. He was right. There were times when I found this advice useful when I was in a situation I didn't like but couldn't do much about. If you just ride it for a while it will eventually change. A wise man would wait for the right time to act.

Right now it seems is a time to ride with the flow.

Pesonally I think there is only one justification for being alive ... to live it, fully, completely ... grasping every moment and savouring every delicate flavour and texture ... giving yourself fully to every moment and applying every ounce of your personal power and knowledge.

Thank you. I tend to be more on the introspective side, so this suggests an actual practice that I would not have thought of, that of truly embracing the loss, fighting with it, chewing it, cursing it, and crying out loudly with grief for the loss of my brother.

This may not be what you meant but it sounds like a good idea to me so I am going to try it, but up in the mountains this weekend where my outbursts will be heard by elk and cyotes, not neighbors ;>)

Thank you. I tend to be more on the introspective side, so this suggests an actual practice that I would not have thought of, that of truly embracing the loss, fighting with it, chewing it, cursing it, and crying out loudly with grief for the loss of my brother.

This may not be what you meant but it sounds like a good idea to me so I am going to try it, but up in the mountains this weekend where my outbursts will be heard by elk and cyotes, not neighbors ;>)

;)

Good for you ... just be mindful that there is a fine line between living something to the fullest and unnecessary indulgence. One will be an emotional cleansing the other will create emotional bondage.

Blessings to you and your brother.

Thanks Rookie for sharing that and everyone

for your insightful thoughts and comments.

I lost my dad 2 weeks ago and the sting of his passing is still with me.................For 3 years, he had a multitude of health problems and I know it's a cliche saying his passing " was a blessing" but it truly was.

It was easier to see him moments after he passed, than it was the last 3 months confined to a hospital bed totally paralysed with a feeding tube in his stomach with the light gone from his once sparkling eyes.

I know from my studies and personal experience that the life force, soul, spirit etc does continue it's journey and he's now in a better place.

Peace

Thanks Rookie for sharing that and everyone

for your insightful thoughts and comments.

I lost my dad 2 weeks ago and the sting of his passing is still with me.................For 3 years, he had a multitude of health problems and I know it's a cliche saying his passing " was a blessing" but it truly was.

It was easier to see him moments after he passed, than it was the last 3 months confined to a hospital bed totally paralysed with a feeding tube in his stomach with the light gone from his once sparkling eyes.

I know from my studies and personal experience that the life force, soul, spirit etc does continue it's journey and he's now in a better place.

Peace

Blessings to your father, may his speeding be safe and sure.

I like the idea of "being mindful"... it takes on so many levels - from enjoying each moment to the fullest to maintaining the notion that it all will end - and within that - the people and places and cirumstances we cherish may be taken from us or even just drift away...loss is as constant as change in that sense, but the gain is in the next moment of precious life we each dance thru -

you will feel better in time - after you let grief run its course... it will not be the same.

you will not be the same

but with contemplation and the mindful approach you seem to grasp- it will be glorious as ever!

Blessings rookie... sorry for your losses.

I look at life like it's a combination of a playground and a classroom.

It's like a playground in that we all choose to play with different energies - both positive and negative.

I see life like a classroom since it teaches you about yourself - both the self and Self. This place is a huge opportunity to evolve our consciousness. If you do well in class and progress, you feel good as evidenced by the satisfaction of maturing spiritually and abiding more and more in your Self. If you do poorly in class, you suffer (ignorance of the Self, which gives rise to all pain)

Direction for me would be to do whatever I feel like (the playground thing) as well as learning about the Self, which is the most noble act anyone can do IMO.

My practice, Kunlun, tweaks my nervous system... I think. Healthier nervous system = stronger sense of the one. This is like taking the fast-track course for enlightenment in my experience so far. I look back a week and can't believe how fast I'm changing. Kunlun also increases my capacity to let go, which is all you really need to do to play. :)

Edited by ddilulo_06

I am deeply sorry for your and you're families loss. It is your loss to suffer, and suffer you will. Take comfort in knowing that your brother will visit you in your dreams for many years to come. I have lost my sister, as well as both my parents. To this day I have vivid dreams that I must purposefully wake myself because I know they are dead, and it can't be real.

Taoism tells us that if babies are to be born, then others must die. Your brother had a purpose in this life, and his death is a part of it. It is all within the grand scheme we call the Tao.

No storm lasts forever. Soon the sun will shine upon you.

it strikes me that I have had two dreams in the past week that had deep - (one was a dream within a dream) connections with departed loved ones-

in the first, I "awoke" from a long conversation with my departed mom to tell a bunch of folks the good news she offered -(it'll be alright! -I've been financialy troubled of late)- And I awoke again -this time into this plane- feeling safe from dire poverty somehow!!

the 2nd was a good friend who was murdered by the KKK and he too said -don't worry enjoy life -but stay safe!!!

right after the visit with him I was attacked- (still in my sleep) by an entity that I somehow "knew"- I said in my dream "I know you!!" - Then I just kicked him twice quickly in the throat and woke up from my having kicked the wall as I slept...

each an uplifting gift from the other side

So I can now relax & enjoy what inner peace I have found... but stay aware of dangers!

Edited by Wayfarer64

Sign in to follow this