Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Jiu Jitsu vs. Karate

Take a wild guess who wins.

http://neurology.med.upenn.edu/%7Ejason/fi...vs.Shotokan.wmv

5840[/snapback]

Cam,

Pretty interesting but the guy was finished once he went in close. He should have known better. If he would have kept his distance and used his techniques he would have stood a better chance, ya know?

I am not a martial artist but I think I know that J is about in close work and KArate isn't. I take it you are into Jiujitsu?

Matt

Hi Matt,

I began with aikido and did that for awhile. karate is fine but it doesn't really work if the other guy knows Jui Jitsu or grappling. This is not an opnion it is something that has been tested and proven over and over again in mixed martial arts competition. Most grapplers or jui jitsu players just have more options than a karateka.

NOW, that being said, a really strong high kick or strike will take anyone out but if your fighting a really good grappler you need to be like a surgeon with your speed and precision in kicking. However, it is defielty possible I was at an mma fight years ago in Atlanta that was over within seconds when the fighter..who incendently was named "cam" knocked out his opponent with 1 strong, prefectly placed kick to the head .The guy was OUT for like 20 minutes and could not get up.

A really good Jui Jitsu player will know what to do with any karateka. However, you also have world class kickboxers or strikers like Mirko Crocop who can end a fight with anyone instantly with a kick, most kickers don't have that kind of talent.

But anyone can spend a couple years and learn Brazillian Jui Jitsu and do what the guy did in that video did instantly. That guy was nothing special for a jui jitsu fighter and doubt he would have been able to take me down .I would have instantly "sprawled"( A wrestling manever to regain balance and defend a takedown) then probably wrestled him down with a 1 leg takedown or underhooks .Then quickly go for an americana(ki lock) or Oma Plata.

But if a BJJ beginner like me were to try that on a world class kicker like Mirco I would get KTFO!

Rainbows!~(kidding)

I thought it was a really good example of what happens when you get taken to the ground. Most karate schools will say "don't get on the ground." Not a very strategic defense.

On the other hand, you want to factor if you are dealing with multiple people or armed before going on the ground... J

ust read on another forum a story about an MMA guy who was sparring a guy who does I believe arnis. MMA guy took the arnis guy to the ground, mounted him and attempted a submission hold. The arnis guy took his training blade and stabbed him repeatedly...

I thought it was a really good example of what happens when you get taken to the ground. Most karate schools will say "don't get on the ground." Not a very strategic defense.

On the other hand, you want to factor if you are dealing with multiple people or armed before going on the ground... J

ust read on another forum a story about an MMA guy who was sparring a guy who does I believe arnis. MMA guy took the arnis guy to the ground, mounted him and attempted a submission hold. The arnis guy took his training blade and stabbed him repeatedly...

5996[/snapback]

IF YA GRAPLE ME TO DA FLOOR I'LL PULL MINE SALAMI OUT, THEN LETS SEE WHO S DA HAPIER!!!

AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh heh, I keep telling you about my sharp knives, but ya just don't LISTEN!

IF YA GRAPLE ME TO DA FLOOR I'LL PULL MINE SALAMI OUT, THEN LETS SEE WHO S DA HAPIER!!!

AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6032[/snapback]

Hi Matt,

I began with aikido and did that for awhile. karate is fine but it doesn't really work if the other guy knows Jui Jitsu or grappling. This is not an opnion it is something that has been tested and proven over and over again in mixed martial arts competition. Most grapplers or jui jitsu players just have more options than a karateka.

NOW, that being said, a really strong high kick or strike will take anyone out but if your fighting a really good grappler you need to be like a surgeon with your speed and precision in kicking. However, it is defielty possible I was at an mma fight years ago in Atlanta that was over within seconds when the fighter..who incendently was named "cam" knocked out his opponent with 1 strong, prefectly placed kick to the head .The guy was OUT for like 20 minutes and could not get up.

A really good Jui Jitsu player will know what to do with any karateka. However, you also have world class kickboxers or strikers like Mirko Crocop who can end a fight with anyone instantly with a kick, most kickers don't have that kind of talent.

But anyone can spend a couple years and learn Brazillian Jui Jitsu and do what the guy did in that video did instantly. That guy was nothing special for a jui jitsu fighter and doubt he would have been able to take me down .I would have instantly "sprawled"( A wrestling manever to regain balance and defend a takedown) then probably wrestled him down with a 1 leg takedown or underhooks .Then quickly go for an americana(ki lock) or Oma Plata.

But if a BJJ beginner like me were to try that on a world class kicker like Mirco I would get KTFO!

Rainbows!~(kidding)

5994[/snapback]

nowadays, for self-defense, it probably pays to get training in all areas and ranges--kicking, punching, grappling, edged weapons, sticks, firearms, etc. the world is a dangerous place and has many modern tools with which to kill.

Projectiles are my favorite.

nowadays, for self-defense, it probably pays to get training in all areas and ranges--kicking, punching, grappling, edged weapons, sticks, firearms, etc.  the world is a dangerous place and has many modern tools with which to kill.

6234[/snapback]

Sign in to follow this