Sign in to follow this  
Apech

Therapy for stroke

Hello everyone,

My friends wife has had a stroke - a serious one and is paralysed on the right side of her body. It happened Wednesday night. They have said she is 50/50 but I am trying to put our positive energy that she will get through this initial stage. This has happened after open heart surgery- they are using aspirin to disperse the clot.

I know that what happens after she comes out of intensive care is critical and I wondered if anyone has experience or knowledge of the best alternative therapy for this - to help her try to get back mobility and so on.

Thnx.

Hello everyone,

My friends wife has had a stroke - a serious one and is paralysed on the right side of her body. It happened Wednesday night. They have said she is 50/50 but I am trying to put our positive energy that she will get through this initial stage. This has happened after open heart surgery- they are using aspirin to disperse the clot.

I know that what happens after she comes out of intensive care is critical and I wondered if anyone has experience or knowledge of the best alternative therapy for this - to help her try to get back mobility and so on.

Thnx.

Hi, really sorry to hear that.

I'm no expert on this subject but I would imagine massaging the body would be a good place to begin. Rei Ki would be an option too I presume but other than that I'm not sure. Sorry for stating the obvious if that is what I've done?

Best wishes.

A stroke, usually, is the body shutting down one whole side to prevent the blockage there being fatal.

I would recommend a movement I know as butterfly shake. This is a movement of the legs, done sitting down. If only one leg can be moved that's enough to start with. If the patient cannot move themselves, their leg(s) can be moved manually by someone else until they are able to.

The movement is simple. Sit with knees and hips at the same-ish height. Feet close together. Allow the knees to fall apart sideways, pause for an instant, then with as little effort as possible bring them back together. Pause for another instant, let them fall again. That's all. Hands can be away on chair arms or palms down on thighs. In latter case hands, and arms are just passengers and do nothing towards the movement.

Ever so gentle, flushes the leg meridians, do as much as possible. No visualisation, no directing energy, no particular breathing. Just feel the physical sensation as much as possible.

Hope it helps, best wishes,

Ian

Apepch7,

Sorry to hear that. :(

Just from a tonglen perspective, to the extent that you can find some peace and cheery love will be helpful to her. If it's possible to do that in her presence all the better. If the situation permits, maybe meditate in her room or have a group meditation session with like minded friends. Otherwise meditate with her husband or just alone.

Your pal,

Yoda

Hello everyone,

Thnx.

Get her to go to an acupuncturist as soon as she gets out of the hospital. If you get to it quickly the results are amazing. At our clinic we have treated a number of stroke patients. The ones who came right away seemed like completely different people after just a few treatments, those who came in months (or worse, years) afterwards have made much slower progress (though still some progress).

How old is she and how alert is she at this point?

I am a physical therapist so will talk more about the conventional side. As soon as medically stable they need to start helping her sit up and move, early mobility even if have to hold her up at the edge of the bed helps stimulate the neural pathways. Have the family always double check that staff is careful of her hand and arm on the paralyzed side if her muscle tone is low it can get into funny positions or stuck in bed rail when she's moved around so always double check, hand open a little elevated on a pillow, no IVs in that hand if it can be avoided (don't want it to swell), staff should never pull on her arm to move her or help her get up, don't leave it hanging when she does get in a chair. Have the therapist show the family how to do passive range of motion to the paralyzed side, ideally this should be done several times a day. To bring her attention to the right side visitors and things to look at in the room should be on that side, unless it's something really important they need her best attention for then left. Pm me if you want too, wishing her all the best.

Thanks for all helpful replies.

I am doing tonglen at a distance cos she is too far for me to travel.

I am thinking physio etc. should kick at least in after 72 hours ... too soon now.

Cheers.

The only thing I know about strokes is that the psychology of the person who has one i extreemly important in determining if there will be another. In Healing Emotions by Daniel Goleman some research about this is mentioned and the possible role of meditation in prevention of a second stroke is discussed (huge I think).

Acupuncture sounds like a great idea.

You could read up on how Christopher Reeve got as far as he did. I think visualization is important becasue when you visualize movement the parts of the brain that controle those movements are activated.

Reiki and healing sounds great.

At AYP they have a weekly session of coordinated healing meditations for one person at a time. You could sign her up for that.

Sign in to follow this