Mal

Book Tao and Longevity

Cheers m8t might end up doing that.

Were you able to source it in Aus? Fishpond has not got it and the dollar is a bit depressing for amazon. Do you like it? I would like to own a copy for my collection as long as it's a decent read.

I should add that this book has some experiences that I went through that I have never heard any other writer talk about AND the reason for them!

Cheers m8t might end up doing that.

Were you able to source it in Aus? Fishpond has not got it and the dollar is a bit depressing for amazon. Do you like it? I would like to own a copy for my collection as long as it's a decent read.

I have bought it few years ago in Amazon... I like it.. small book with lots of useful theory.. not much practice..

I would recommend it for collection anyway.. as far as i remember Bill Bodri consider it as first step in reading.

No 'practice' stuff, which in my opinion you should get from a teacher first hand and not through a book anyway. It just provides a descriptive theory of what will happen to you on the cultivation path primarily from a physiological perspective. It is the best written source on this i have read (most don't seem to want to go there), i think it is worth reading and re-reading. The translation is easier to read than much of what Bodri peddles himself.

Try www.bookdepository.co.uk

Thanks for the suggestion Asprin, just ordered Tao and Longevity. As well as Glenn Morris's Path Notes and Shadow Strategies. Bookdepository worked out a dollar cheaper than Amazon's single shipment international shipping :P

Fishpond could only offer Path Notes and Bookdepository was cheaper anyhow.

Cheers

Book Tao and Longevity, Worthwhile purchase?

IMHO Yes.

Excellent book.

I've often heard of ppl suggesting ppl should study with a teacher, not a book but how many Taoist (cultivating not religion) are around in the US. I don't know of any other than Sher K. Lew.

Can anyone offer a true taoist with which to train in the US?

Thanks,

I liked path notes a lot.

... and I was really impressed by White Ninja by Eric Lustbader, has anyone here read that one?

Read it and loved it. I also liked its predecessors, Ninja, Miko and Kaisho...

Read it and loved it. I also liked its predecessors, Ninja, Miko and Kaisho...

I read those too, but White Ninja was my first. I hadn't heard of him and just bought it on a whim at the bookstore. I think White Ninja was his masterpiece and was lucky to read it first. Right now I'm reading one by him called The Testament.

Enjoying Path Notes and Shadow Strategies too. Big books. Have not made much of a dint in them yet and they seem deeper each time I read them.

I read the whole book Path Notes, it's all good, but couldn't get into the Shadow one as it seemed to have to much of the free association he did a little of in the first one. I think maybe he was trying to be a little too poetic there. I found it interesting to learn that the Ninjas descended from chi kung masters that migrated to Japan long ago. It figures.

Just out of interest why is the cover of path notes laid out that way? Unusual picture and cuts out some of the writing too.

If it's the same cover as the one I have, with his back to the camera, it's to show off his jacket patches, and they are pretty cool jacket patches.

Lustbader is great!! Wish he would have kept writing down that line, but he got the Bourne books.

He wrote a couple of long winded and very imaginative and colorful Science Fiction books: Ring of Five Dragons I think is the name.

Edited by Starjumper7

Any other good martial arts fiction people care to share?

I liked Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa - a bit long and slowly paced but very good.

I loved Angry White Pyjamas by Robert Twigger - it's not ficiton but it's a great read. It recounts Twigger's year training at the Yoshinkan with the senshusei (instructor training) program.