Sign in to follow this  
Unconditioned

East Meets West

I don't know why this touched me so much, and I'm probably adding to what actually happened but an interesting encounter / conversation happened to me this weekend.

I was leaving a converence in D.C. for work and there was a cab going to the train station with someone in it already so the hotel staff asked me to take that cab since we're both going to the same place. Another businessman was in the car and he was from India.

I have been studying Vedic / Vedantic teachings for a few years and have taken up those traditions as my path and want to visit Arunachala at some point in my life (this is where Sri Ramana Maharishi attained enlightenment in the first half of the 1900s).

Anyhow, I mustered up the courage and began telling Ramesh, the other man in the cab, that I wanted to visit there. He didn't know the location so i told him a few nearby places and he was facinated that a westerner was interested in his spiritual traditions.

Long story short, we got into a good conversation about what temples to go to, times of year, etc. When we left the cab it was as if we were both inspired by one another. I was impressed with how open he was to discuss details of his traditions with a total stranger. Likewise, he seemed almost shocked that a westerner (and one as white as me!) had such a keen interest.

So why am I sharing this? I think the lesson is that there are more people 'out there' with similar goals in mind and are willing to talk about it if we bring it up. I don't think I will forget the sincere handshake and smile that inspired me to be more open as a westerner to others I see day to day that are from the east.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

Six degrees of freedom, six handshakes from anyone on the planet. I wonder how many people that visit this site are within an easy drive of each other.

Six degrees of freedom, six handshakes from anyone on the planet. I wonder how many people that visit this site are within an easy drive of each other.

Easy way to find out :PTaoBums Map

Sign in to follow this