Sign in to follow this  
lienshan

Guodian Laozi

Hi from Denmark :)

I'm interested in the Guodian Laozi ... the oldest known version of Dao De Jing dating 315 BCE

I've translated book A into danish language and published the text on a blog

My source is pics of the bamboo slips at the bottom of this site:

http://www.daoisopen.com/GuodianLaozi.html

There I too found a link to this forum

lienshan :rolleyes:

Hi from Denmark :)

I'm interested in the Guodian Laozi ... the oldest known version of Dao De Jing dating 315 BCE

I've translated book A into danish language and published the text on a blog

So. What is it about?

So. What is it about?

The Guodian Laozi consists of Dao De Jing chapters and part-chapters written on bamboo slips, and contains about 40% of the the received Dao De Jing text. When I started to translate the text I thought, like anyboby else, that the Guodian Laozi was a collection of special quotations, choosen of some reason from an already existing Dao De Jing. Now I've changed my mind. The Guodian Laozi is one of the philosophical manuscripts from which the Dao De Jing was compiled probably at the Jinxia Academy in Qi about 300-275 BCE. The Guodian Laozi is this way an very early example of pre-daoist thoughts written before scholars (shi) from various schools agreed on the philosophical daoist platform, that we today know as the Mawangdui Dao De Jing.

lienshan

The Guodian Laozi is one of the philosophical manuscripts from which the Dao De Jing was compiled probably at the Jinxia Academy in Qi about 300-275 BCE. The Guodian Laozi is this way an very early example of pre-daoist thoughts written before scholars (shi) from various schools agreed on the philosophical daoist platform, that we today know as the Mawangdui Dao De Jing.

lienshan

Thanks. That is all well and good, but what does it actually say? If you were to summarize its meaning ina a couple of sentences, what would it be?

If you were to summarize its meaning ina a couple of sentences, what would it be?

The interval between heaven and earth is like a double-action piston bellows

How?

Emptied but not crunched up

When the position is changed all the more emit

Arriving at the zenith of emptiness

Defending in the middle sure-footed

All living things on the side come into being to live just waiting to return

Heaven and Dao rotate around and each one return to their origin

The above Guodian text corresponds to two Dao De Jing quotations from the chapters 5 and 16. The double-action piston bellows was invented about 350 BCE. The principle of the apparatus is in short, that the space in the double-action piston bellows consist of two spaces separated in the middle, so that emptying one space is filling the other space at the same time. The separating middle inside a double-action piston bellows is connected with the handle, like a sage is connected with heaven and Dao.

hi DarinHamel :)

Sign in to follow this