eighty4proof

Doing favors

I was wondering if anyone could tell me, what does the Tao say, if anything, about doing favors for someone and getting spit on and insulted in return? I'm not saying that one is looking for recognition or thanks, but neither expecting to be insulted in return for helping someone without compensation or obligation. Just looking for a bit of guidance.

Thanks!

Are you giving advice that's not asked for? Are you being an ass kisser? Something seems off.

Either way, unconditional love does not mean being a doormat.

If you take out someone's trash, and they whack you with a bamboo stick, when you don't take out the trash for them again, it doesn't mean you don't feel compassion for them. You need to love yourself FIRST, while understanding they have issues that aren't about you. (assuming you have high self esteem)

Edited by ddilulo_06

Taodejing Ch2

As soon as the world regards something as beautiful,

ugliness simultaneously becomes apparent.

As soon as the world regards something as good,

evil simultaneously becomes apparent.

In exactly the same manner,

existence and nonexistance give birth to each other.

Difficult and easy define each other.

Long and short form each other.

High and low make each other distinguishable.

Silence and sound make each other conspicuous.

Front and back connect each other.

Realizing this, one does not seperate one's being

from the subtle essence of the universe.

One holds no preconceptions, and does things

without insisting on personal conditions.

One guides people by living in accord

with the essence of life.

One brings good things about,

but has no intention of possessing them.

One performs work,

but has no intention to acquire personal power.

When one's task is accomplished,

one lets go of it and seeks no rewared or recognition.

Because one does not claim credit for oneself,

one does not do any damage to oneself.

----------------------

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

There's a modernized very condensed version of the Taodejing. I believe Ch 2. is;

Shit happens, walk around it.

Hope that helps

B)

There's a modernized very condensed version of the Taodejing. I believe Ch 2. is;

Hope that helps

B)

Or the equally enigmatic:

"In some circles sh~t happens daily, flush and step forward"

Or the equally enigmatic:

"In some circles sh~t happens daily, flush and step forward"

Faced with the inherent unfairness we think is all around us,

what other advice can there really be?

M.

Faced with the inherent unfairness we think is all around us,

what other advice can there really be?

M.

Indeed. It reminds me of a story:

-------------------

The master was accompanied by his students when they came to a river crossing. A beautiful lady was standing anxiously at the river's edge. When the master asked the lady what the matter was she said she was anxious to get to the other side but, even though the river was not too deep, she didn't know how to swim and was afraid to cross. The master volunteered his help and carried the lady across the stream.

Once across and the lady thanked the master very much and then they went their seperate ways. After they continued walking for awhile the master noticed that his students were very silent with incredulous looks on their faces. When he asked what the matter was one of his students replied, "How could you discredit yourself so by holding and carrying such a beautiful lady. Surely this is inappropriate behaviour."

The master responded: "My response mirrored the need with absolute prudence. I put the lady down way back at the river. Why are you still carrying her?"

-------------------

Oh yes and of course there is this one:

-------------------

Once there was a very old man who used to meditate early every morning under a large tree on the bank of the Ganges River in India. One morning, having finished his meditation, the old man opened his eyes and saw a scorpion floating helplessly in the strong current of the river. As the scorpion was pulled close to the tree, it got caught in the long tree roots that branched out far into the river. The scorpion struggled frantically to free itself but got more and more entangled in the complex network of the tree roots.

When the old man saw this, he immediately stretched himself onto the extended roots and reached out to rescue the drowning scorpion. But as soon as he touched it, the animal jerked and stung him wildly. Instinctively, the man withdrew his hand, but then, after having regained his balance, he once again stretched himself out along the roots to save the agonized scorpion. But every time the old man came within reach, the scorpion stung him so badly with its poisonous tail that his hands became swollen and bloody and his face distorted by pain.

At that moment, a passerby saw the old man stretched out on the roots struggling with the scoprion and shouted: "Hey, stupid old man. What's wrong with you? Only a fool risks his life for the sake of a ugly, useless creature. Don't you know that you may kill yourself to save that ungrateful animal?"

Slowly the old man turned his head, and looking calmly in the stranger's eyes, he said: "Friend, because it is the nature of the scorpion to sting, why should I give up my own nature to save?"

-------------------

Edited by Stigweard

Hope that helps

B)

As in the words of the famous Cheech and Chong:

"What's dat?

I don't know.

Looks like dog chit to me.

Yeah.

Smell it.

What?

Smell.

Smell like dog chit?

Yuck! Smells like dog chit.

Hm, pick it up (touch, forgot)

What?

Pick it up!

Feel like dog chit?

Yeah, feels like dog chit.

Hm, Taste!

WHAAAT?!

TASTE!

Taste like dog chit?

Yeah, ugh, taste like dog chit.

Ya, good thing we don't step in it!"

:lol:

Edited by 林愛偉

Indeed. It reminds me of a story:

Once there was a very old man who used to meditate early every morning under a large tree on the bank of the Ganges River in India. One morning, having finished his meditation, the old man opened his eyes and saw a scorpion floating helplessly in the strong current of the river. As the scorpion was pulled close to the tree, it got caught in the long tree roots that branched out far into the river. The scorpion struggled frantically to free itself but got more and more entangled in the complex network of the tree roots.

When the old man saw this, he immediately stretched himself onto the extended roots and reached out to rescue the drowning scorpion. But as soon as he touched it, the animal jerked and stung him wildly. Instinctively, the man withdrew his hand, but then, after having regained his balance, he once again stretched himself out along the roots to save the agonized scorpion. But every time the old man came within reach, the scorpion stung him so badly with its poisonous tail that his hands became swollen and bloody and his face distorted by pain.

At that moment, a passerby saw the old man stretched out on the roots struggling with the scoprion and shouted: "Hey, stupid old man. What's wrong with you? Only a fool risks his life for the sake of a ugly, useless creature. Don't you know that you may kill yourself to save that ungrateful animal?"

Slowly the old man turned his head, and looking calmly in the stranger's eyes, he said: "Friend, because it is the nature of the scorpion to sting, why should I give up my own nature to save?"

-------------------

WOW!!!

Just as i was begining my self-imposed ban for a few weeks. Then i read this story, so i felt obliged to say thank you.

Wonderful, wonderful story Stig. That really touched me.

WOW!!!

Just as i was begining my self-imposed ban for a few weeks. Then i read this story, so i felt obliged to say thank you.

Wonderful, wonderful story Stig. That really touched me.

Graci _/\_ ;)

Like standing up in a completely filled bus for an old and gray lady and being yelled at: Hey i have 2 legs retard, i can stand on my own.

Im like: euh ok, was yust trying to be polite madam.

Edited by minkus

-------------------

Thank you for this! You have taught me a lot.

Oh yes, and thank you to all who replied!

Like standing up in a completely filled bus for an old and gray lady and being yelled at: Hey i have 2 legs retard, i can stand on my own.

Im like: euh ok, was yust trying to be polite madam.

HAHAHA I had that happen once.

I turned to the person and told them in response: "You may be capable to stand, but you obviously not

capable to accept good deeds. Next time, don't be too proud of yourself."

:)

Peace,

Lin

Tao Teh Ching 19:

Embrace simplicity.

Put others first.

Desire little.

Regarding compassion:

1. A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.

2. A compassionate person develops an eye for spotting the qualities that make each person special. Even when others are at their lowest ebb, it is possible to help them restore their self-belief by keeping a firm, clear vision of their goodness and specialties. Taking a gently encouraging approach, I must never give up on anyone.

Remember, Dharma is a 24/7 thing. :)

n62gye.gif