fiveelementtao

Kunlun Portland 2008

"The Method of Holding the Three Ones"

Is the Three Ones mentioned, is the same as the practice of the Gold Flower?

By the Way YMWong, I have read Robinet too.Several times. Much as I enjoyed it, having read it doesnt make me an authority on anything. I've read Eva Wong too. And Ken Cohen. and Saso.and Blofeld. And .. well.. As I say, reading these texts is great. But it doesnt make me an authority. Nor does it make me want to pretend to be one. Being power holding over 'rightness' just aint the way of it, dude.

forgive me for interrupting this, but the man said that KL may be a good practice, different things work for different people. it's not the practice that he has something against with, it's the pretense of being something that it is not. and that i'm afraid, is not based on a hunch.

if it'd raised some question marks, the better... we all need to look beyound what we see, don't we, Pumba?

L1

Is the Three Ones mentioned, is the same as the practice of the Gold Flower?

No, it is a different meditation. However, there are numerous exercises which contain the phrase or concept of "Three Ones". So, if someone were to ask me "do you know the method of the three ones?", I would say "Which one? They are all about the three ones."

The three ones book I mentioned is great reading. But the techniques laid out are in coded form. The scriptures that are being analyzed by these intellectual scholars have fail-safes embedded in them. It is written in coded language, so that the uninitiated would not be able to decipher them without help. There is absolutely no way that anyone can get anything other than an intellectual understanding of the practices by reading the scriptures without a qualified teacher to explain the hidden coded meaning.

Edited by fiveelementtao

I said: "The reason why I am supportive of the view that Sifu Lum is legit, is because the practices I know from Max are amazingly effective."

YM answered: "This is the logic that escapes me.

And, by the way, *effective* means a lot of different things to different people.

For instance, by reading the Kunlun reports I wouldn't judge those results as "effective" from (my) a Daoist viewpoint.

I would see them more as 'deviant'.

But, needless to say, that's my point of view which can be agreed to or not."

Effective: quickly attaining enlightenment effortlessly. :lol:

Seriously.

Hello my friend. Craig here. The guy wearing the colorful headband :-), in case your memory is already failing you.

Hi Craig, I recognize you from your picture...

What is your knowledge of maoshan which does not derive from books?

Craig,

I think it was to this exact questions OF YOURS that I replied:

Your assumption I know about Maoshan from literature and pop culture is totally off-base.

My first trip to Maoshan is dated, I think, 1984. My encounter with Maoshan Daoism much earlier in Taiwan.

But you can choose to believe whatever fits your needs better, of course, since here you are asking again.

I quote from books because, apart from in these cases being written by academic authorities in the field, they are public material which you can check for yourself and maybe find confirmation to what I say.

If I'd quote from the words of "mysterious teachers I met in a daoist cave" I am afraid my time would be wasted ... unless you'd find confirmation to your preconceived notions of *Maoshan*, in which case you'd accept the same as heavenly truth.

As I said, do your math

YM

Edited by YMWong

There is absolutely no way that anyone can get anything other than an intellectual understanding of the practices by reading the scriptures without a qualified teacher to explain the hidden coded meaning.

not true.

Effective: quickly attaining enlightenment effortlessly.

Hi Scotty,

ever heard the saying "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" ?

:P

Seriously.

Sure.

And who got enlightenment in that lineage, by the way ?

YM

Sure.

Took it to PM because I don't think I should be representing kunlun, since I don't know everything. Also, I don't want to be misleading people who are practicing it by giving my view, since everyone has their own way of opening.

YM

YM,

You don't know what you are talking about here. You don't know Lum Dai Yong and Andrew Lum, Jenny Lamb and her (unnamed) teacher, and Max Christensen.

Now, the problem is, those who DO know the truth about these people are probably not interested in talking to a stranger like you about them.

You don't have and can't get the info you need to properly argue your case.

Probably best to let it go.

FWIW, I think that all of this stuff (Taoism) actually originated in Shamanism and we know where shaman get their insights: psychotropic substances, their higher self and non-physical beings.

So, how deep do you need to drill into history before you are happy with what you determine to be a legitimate "source"?

The personal experience of practice itself is all that matters.

When and where is the Portland Kunlun Afterglow meet going to be?

Spectrum

Did you miss the seminar? Or did I miss you?

Strangely enough there were only 4 people in attendance who live in the Portland area. Everyone else travelled from Northern California, other places in the NW or further afield. I won't be back in PDX til 27th. I have some local peoples contact info and maybe we will arrange a get together at some point, but nothing planned as yet.

Craig

YM,

You don't know what you are talking about here. [...]

As always I am glad to hear your opinion, Chris

YM

Has anybody on this thread had any connection with Andrew Lum's school in Honolulu? If you are i the Portland, OR area, I'd like to hear from you.

When were you there, who were your classmates, and do you still practice? This includes Pat Moon's group too.

Thanks.