Gerard

Taijiquan taught today

He is an excellent martial artist.

You can see how he brings his Ba Gua sensibility into his Tai Ji form.

I hope his travels bring him close to me so I could attend a seminar.

Hopefully he will come to Black Taoist's school in NY.

I rarely go to seminars (I barely have enough time to train what my own teacher gives me) but I'd very much like to meet Master Xu.

Yes, most of Taiji teachers today teach something that hardly resembles what it was taught in the past.

Enjoy!

Perhaps it all depends on your goal: does somebody want to focus on martial arts or moving meditation.

Mantak Chia focuses on meditation side of it whereas others want the MA side.

I personally like the meditation one and am indifferent to the MA.

I have to agree that Taiji has been watered down to an extent where most people claiming to teach genuine Taiji are only peforming bad kung fu.

Applications are forced into the Taiji shapes and done without an understanding of true yielding, neutralising and issuing.

Wushu and Taiji are two different paths in terms of internal mechanics and structure. Yet many do not have the eye or discernment to differentiate the two. But as the teacher in the clip mentioned, he believes wushu supplements the external aspects of muscle conditioning, speed and hand-eye coordination which is not wrong.

Personally, I find that Taiji when trained right is comprehensive in these aspects.

Enjoy your practice,

mouse

Yes, most of Taiji teachers today teach something that hardly resembles what it was taught in the past.

Watch this video and you will understand:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Ep4lZ2rfI

Xu Shi Xi knows his stuff well, ;)

Enjoy!

Master Xu is my Bagua Teacher's, Black Taoist, Teacher of Yin Fu Bagua Zhang!

He indeed knows his Bagua and Internal!

Edited by 林愛偉

Do you know anything about his upcoming tour?

Wow. As one hopefully Beijing-bound in 2009 and hoping to learn Bagua, I'm very happy to have seen that video. If the grandmaster is coming through NYC any time before late February I hope to see yall there. Otherwise, all goes well, then in a couple months it's off to the park...

And I guess this is it's application - http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=LtlCwk4z-TI&feature=user

I would hope not. But Steve, the guy with the dreads, is well rounded. The system would conform, as should most martial arts, to the most common mannerisms of the practitioner. There is a better way of applying than in the vid, and though it was his first match, I'm sure he was a bit nervous.

Some of my brothers in Bagua utilize a more boxing style to execute Bagua hand techniques. THere are better videos from BT.

Peace,

Lin

Do you know anything about his upcoming tour?

No I don't, but check his website. I'm sure something may be on there.

????

There is no Bagua Application or Tai chi Application in this....

Sorry but this is BAD kick Boxing. I know its his 1st fight. Not bad for "brawling" but no way near IMA application.

I didn't see Bagua either. Maybe he was just dong other things..lol

Lin, I didn't know you studied with BlackTaoist. How often do you see him? I was hoping to find out what the music is he uses in the clip of Lu Zijian on youtube. Someone said it was Oliver Shanti, but I have a lot (like 5 or 6 CDs!) of Oliver Shanti cd's on MP3 and I don't have that track.

Mr5vQm_i09I

Lin, I didn't know you studied with BlackTaoist. How often do you see him? I was hoping to find out what the music is he uses in the clip of Lu Zijian on youtube. Someone said it was Oliver Shanti, but I have a lot (like 5 or 6 CDs!) of Oliver Shanti cd's on MP3 and I don't have that track.

Mr5vQm_i09I

I see him about 2-3 times a week on Sundays. Probably would be less hen my wife gets here.

I'll ask him about the music:-)

Peace,

Lin

????

There is no Bagua Application or Tai chi Application in this....

Sorry but this is BAD kick Boxing. I know its his 1st fight. Not bad for "brawling" but no way near IMA application.

Here is a quote from the explanation associated with that video:

"Steve the BaGua hit man lost his first Lei Tai match, but he did well for someone who only been training in BaGuazhang for a few months to enter a full-contact Lei Tai Match. "

I give the guy credit for fighting full contact after a few months of training.

I have seen skillful people with 20 years of traditional martial arts training resort to a slugfest in a full contact fight. It's a rare practitioner that makes a full contact fight look like quality martial technique.

In addition, anyone who fights competitively knows that the rules dictates the techniques. You win on the Lei Tai by doing what works on the Lei Tai. You win in the octagon by doing what works there. I agree that this fellow isn't showing a lot of skill yet but at least he's out there living it.

PS I don't think I would call this Lei Tai - in my book it ain't Lei Tai if it ain't a few feet in the air. It makes a huge difference to be thinking about falling or getting thrown off the platform.

it IS Oliver Shanti. this video is what first introduced me to Oliver Shanti.

the song is Mother Earth's Tartaruga Song from Buddha Bar. it might be titled Dream as well. hard to tell being that i found the song through a fileshare program. it's titled this way:

Chill Out- Mother Earth's Tartaruga Song- Buddha Bar- Dream- Oliver Shanti

make of that what you will.

:rolleyes: