Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

Monks robes and wish me a safe trip.

I bought a cheongsam robe from them a few months ago. Shipping was fast considering it was china>east coast US. They were very nice and respectful, prompt communication.

As far as offense, I think there are certain styles of robes that are technically only for monks, I came across one on ebay where they wanted to know who your master was to confirm you were indeed a monk! Anything else should be fine, unless someone's got a chip on their shoulder about robes.

have a safe trip man! B)

Edited by joeblast

Why do you need a robe to attend a retreat in that sangha? Wearing robes doesn't make someone more spiritual. And honestly I wouldn't pay $70 do someone in China who buys those robs for $10 bucks or less. :angry:

Anyway, have a nice and safe trip and hope you have a meaningful experience in your chosen location.

All the best.

Hey, cool clothes! :)

Why do you need a robe to attend a retreat in that sangha? Wearing robes doesn't make someone more spiritual. And honestly I wouldn't pay $70 do someone in China who buys those robs for $10 bucks or less. :angry:

Anyway, have a nice and safe trip and hope you have a meaningful experience in your chosen location.

All the best.

I think you have a point over the cost.

But regardless of the cost there can be tons of reasons why a person might want to change their outer appearence. After all don't buddhist monks shave their head to represent that they renounce to desires? Would this action be patented by them, or are we allowed too to have an external act that represents an internal change?

The robe in the picture is now just a kind of 'uniform'.

Would you buy and wear a police uniform if you had an interest in Police stuff ?

Maybe ...

Would you by a fireman uniform if you were crazy about their red trucks ?

Maybe ....

I personally would not, really, but I guess eveyone has his own views and taste on this kind of things

No offence taken I would say.

If a Daoist sees a layman wearing a robe the worst he can do is to smile

YM

Yes, its offensive if you are wearing a robe to act as though you are a Taoist Priest.

I believe the people whom wear Catholic priest uniforms on Halloween are offensive as well, just go and wear a cop uniform in public and see what happens, it is just the same. Have respect for those whom dedicate their lives to something and respect the uniforms that makes them much like wall paper within their beliefs.

Playing dress up is one thing, but thought of grandeur often make people mistake themselves for something that they are not, therefore creating an illusion of superiority and setting back cultivation.

People love this image of being a Daoist when in fact you get your robe when you become ordained through a ceramony. I dont wear mine around and ive been a Daoist since 1992! I think you all have the wrong idea about Daoism if its based on wearing a Robe!

hahaha seriously :rolleyes:

People love this image of being a Daoist when in fact you get your robe when you become ordained through a ceramony. I dont wear mine around and ive been a Daoist since 1992! I think you all have the wrong idea about Daoism if its based on wearing a Robe!

So you've been a Daoist since 1992! and you are still bragging about yourself, being initiated and not wearing the damn robe ... makes me wonder what is your "right idea" about Daoism maybe you could clarify it for "us all " a little bit.

NO NO im not bragging i also said i dont wear my robes! But this is the 1st time ive mentioned i was ordained as a Daoist and i no long go to my temple since my teacher passed away. My path isnt straight my friend that is for sure!!!

There is no such thing as a Daoist by the way IMHO, although i was ordained really these days i see Daoist and Daoism alittle over stated. There is no word to describe but being FREE i guess and if that is what Daoist is then Freeist would be the word. But i am not free in mind or society therefore i am not a Daoist or anything!

Edited by Spirit Ape

When you arrive at the temple, it is best to bring the clothes with you and show them to the monks there, then

ask them if its okay for you to wear them.

Unless you have taken refuge with Daoism, and taken the precepts as a left home person, then you can wear the

proper clothes for the Daoist Left Home person.

The Cheongsam(changpao), is not religious clothing, but Manchurian clothing, and was worn during the Qing Dynasty. People in China usually discriminate on those who wear Cheongsam outside. They assume the one wearing it is a left home person. That's why I stopped wearing my Cheongsam and most of my Chinese Clothing in China.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

So you've been a Daoist since 1992! and you are still bragging about yourself, being initiated and not wearing the damn robe ... makes me wonder what is your "right idea" about Daoism maybe you could clarify it for "us all " a little bit.

Wearing robes is not the real issue, purifying your karma is.

If you are happy wearing a robe so be it, but something different is making a big issue out of it (the attachment thing comes into play to my mind).

NO NO im not bragging i also said i dont wear my robes! But this is the 1st time ive mentioned i was ordained as a Daoist and i no long go to my temple since my teacher passed away. My path isnt straight my friend that is for sure!!!

There is no such thing as a Daoist by the way IMHO, although i was ordained really these days i see Daoist and Daoism alittle over stated. There is no word to describe but being FREE i guess and if that is what Daoist is then Freeist would be the word. But i am not free in mind or society therefore i am not a Daoist or anything!

good answer and attitude sir.

Thank you

Yes, its offensive if you are wearing a robe to act as though you are a Taoist Priest.

I believe the people whom wear Catholic priest uniforms on Halloween are offensive as well, just go and wear a cop uniform in public and see what happens, it is just the same. Have respect for those whom dedicate their lives to something and respect the uniforms that makes them much like wall paper within their beliefs.

Playing dress up is one thing, but thought of grandeur often make people mistake themselves for something that they are not, therefore creating an illusion of superiority and setting back cultivation.

hahaha - Oh, I like that discussion so much....

The time I seriously practiced Zen, I got a Chinese Ch'an buddhist robe as a gift from the abbot of Xingshansi in Xi'an. I actually only had it on twice along with a non-blessed tourist Mala at Carneval since everybody knew I am the China guy... Out of respect for those who "left their home" I have never been wearing it during buddhist retreats or so.

But I also got a daoist common blue jacket from my daoist monk brother at Xi'an's Baxiangong. He said as a "sujia dizi" (disciple who is staying home/does not leave the family) I should wear it for practice.

And that's how I use it to remind myself of discipline, lineage, masters - also identifying myself and my practice to gain more seriousness.

What do you think? I don't like disrespect to those who leave their homes, I don't like those who pretend... but I would not see an offense by wearing robes in private to identify with serious practice and link oneself to the tradition and lineage

But I also got a daoist common blue jacket from my daoist monk brother at Xi'an's Baxiangong. He said as a "sujia dizi" (disciple who is staying home/does not leave the family) I should wear it for practice.

And that's how I use it to remind myself of discipline, lineage, masters - also identifying myself and my practice to gain more seriousness.

What do you think? I don't like disrespect to those who leave their homes, I don't like those who pretend... but I would not see an offense by wearing robes in private to identify with serious practice and link oneself to the tradition and lineage

I can't answer your question, but I'd like to add another. Are there not some prescriptions to cover the body in certain ways in both Daoist and Buddhist practices, for reasons of energetic health and etiquette, even when one is unordained and practicing alone?

I can't answer your question, but I'd like to add another. Are there not some prescriptions to cover the body in certain ways in both Daoist and Buddhist practices, for reasons of energetic health and etiquette, even when one is unordained and practicing alone?

I know of prescriptions for the ordained - and even in daoist monasteries it's quite detailed for reasons of spiritual hygiene and moment-to-moment awareness in any type of activity.

And this is also valuable for practicing alone, e.g. wearing clean clothes, neutral colors like black or dark blue or grey, having a tidy and clean meditation environment with elements you pay respect to etc.

but for energetic health you could as well cover and keep warm yourself with a blue blanket.... I think that's not really the reason.

Another thing to say: A Daoist robe or jacket is nothing else than common Chinese cloth of old times. The daoist of older times was identified by his hairstyle, hat, stockings and some other equipment. There is not much difference to the cloth of common people....

I hope your journey is safe and woderful!

Still, I consider the journey inward to be the quest tho, huh?

no matter what you wear or where you wear it

A briss-day suit - or an urbane turban

we are more what we seek- ( or are about to become)... than what we wear or where we are

So...I don't judge folks by their circumstances or their attire - but I do make spur(ious?) of the moment conclusions, nonetheless... who doesn't?-

peace to all-Pat

Even Wang Li Ping wears normal civilian clothes around and teaches seminars with normal clothes!

Its not essential to wear the robes unless they make you get your mind set for your practice which means really you havent learnt much about attachments IMHO. If wearing robe floats your boat there is nothing wrong with it, its only clothes at the end of the day right?!

Be well!

Spirit Ape

Its funny, but Chinese clothes and Qi Gong and Martial Arts have only one thing in common,

that Chinese clothing was worn by the Chinese because that was their way of clothing. There were

great people in China and bad people, and they all wore Chinese clothing.

Now, because of the western influence, people throw away their cultures. Regardless of what standard societal fashion is, I say where what you like, but make sure it doesn't wear you!

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Sign in to follow this