Sign in to follow this  
DanC

The Tao of Meditation: Way to Enlightenment

Hi all,

Im new to this site and came here via the HT forum, Ive been into Chi Kung and Meditation for about 2 years now and have tried a variety of Chi Kung forms/styles, Im currently playing around with Michael Winns Chi Kung Fundementals 1 & 2 but I am not entirely sure about this guys practices. In his audio tapes he is very metaphysical and Philosophical while being very short on theory regarding the actual techniques.

I have came across this book titled "The Tao of Meditation: Way to Enlightenment" by Tsung Hwa Jou" and this book looks like it breaks down Taoist meditation into a very easy and understandable format.

Has anyone read it, if so is it a good starting point for a beginner??

Daniel

Hi Dan,

I haven't read the book. My shelves are full of good Tao books and many tapes, CDs and DVDs of qi gong and nei gong. And, the real learning has come not from them, but from taking courses from someone.

Search until you find a teacher whose style (at the levels of jing, chi and shen) with whom you connect. Your body learns so much from being in the presence of a teacher who is more realized than you. I know that my body learns so much from taking courses from Winn; while his tapes and the books of others help me digest his teachings.

So, books are good, teachers are better. And, the teacher could be of anything relevant: tai chi, kung fu, aikido, meditation etc.

Best of luck!

Chris

I have heard extremely good things about that author. I suggest you read it and report back to us with a comparison. I would recommend a book by Michael Frost if you are getting started in the tao, but that one seems very good too.

Hi all,

Im new to this site and came here via the HT forum, Ive been into Chi Kung and Meditation for about 2 years now and have tried a variety of Chi Kung forms/styles, Im currently playing around with Michael Winns Chi Kung Fundementals 1 & 2 but I am not entirely sure about this guys practices. In his audio tapes he is very metaphysical and Philosophical while being very short on theory regarding the actual techniques.

I have came across this book titled "The Tao of Meditation: Way to Enlightenment" by Tsung Hwa Jou" and this book looks like it breaks down Taoist meditation into a very easy and understandable format.

Has anyone read it, if so is it a good starting point for a beginner??

Daniel

5734[/snapback]

Daniel,

Welcome!

I read this book a few years back and recall that it is a Northern school approach (meaning in general not utilizing sexual practices but using celibacy). Nothing the matter with it at all if it resonates with you. The authors was a very recognized Tai Chi Master and sought out inner alchemy from his own personal study of ancient texts. He was killed in an automobile accident. While he did not claim entry into the next dimension, there are people who have and do everyday. Only you can find your own path and I wish you the best in your endeavors!

Matt

Thanks for the replys, truthfully celibacy is not my cup of tea, but I suppose I can still utilise all of the techniques from the book. Matthew are the meditations similar in anyway to what Michael teaches or is it a different path alltogether.

Daniel

Thanks for the replys, truthfully celibacy is not my cup of tea, but I suppose I can still utilise all of the techniques from the book. Matthew are the meditations similar in anyway to what Michael teaches or is it a different path alltogether.

Daniel

5754[/snapback]

Daniel,

If I recall correctly, some of the channel work in the beginning is similar but then the instruction gets less descriptive and harder to follow / understand and is different. I really do not feel comfortable enough with it to recommend it to anyone other than as an interesting read or for comparitive purposes.

If you are looking for something that is a practical guide, you might try David Twicken's Spiritual Qigong or his updated version included in Treasures of Tao. These are essentially what is known of the One Cloud HT formulas.

Matt

Hey Matthew,

Thanks for the recommendation, I have just placed an order for "Spiritual Qigong" at Amazon, that book is exactly what I was looking for.

Daniel

Sign in to follow this