Pranaman

energy anatomy and postural effect

tgal-i.jpg

This is Yu Yong Nian in Yiquan's "Dragon Stance".

I like it alot.

How do I learn the effects of specific postures, the ins and outs of the chi body's anatomy and how zhan zhuang, and every taiji posture affects it?

tgal-i.jpg

I like it alot.

How do I learn the effects of specific postures, the ins and outs of the chi body's anatomy and how zhan zhuang, and every taiji posture affects it?

Pranaman,

Suggest you don't get caught upin channels or meridians etc.

To drive a car you do not need to know how the ignition happens, or how what the brake fluids do etc.

Is good to know but doesn't affect the ability to drive.

Some may disagree but just my thoughts.

Enjoy your practice.

mouse

it's definitely not important, just interesting, and I feel it's worth studying, you never know, if you know how the body works, you might just be the next Wang Xiangzhai creating your own system(although Yichuan is not based on TCM).

tgal-i.jpg

I like it alot.

The 'best' way is self-awarenes brought about through lots, and lots, and lots, of practice.

Blessings,

The 'best' way is self-awarenes brought about through lots, and lots, and lots, of practice.

Agreed.

However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start studying some basic energy anatomy. I would start with the acupuncture meridians and organ systems. It's best for you to feel these through practice but having the knowledge won't hurt. Knowledge and experience are a double-helix, a yin and yang - you need both. Knowledge gives form, experience imparts substance.

Go slow into the deeper stuff, if you discover an unknown thing through practice, you'll know it's real, but if you study too much and have great desire, you might hallucinate your progress. Best not fall into that trap. Let your practice out-pace your book studies and you will really have something in the end.

There will be an Energetic Anatomy Encyclopedia someday. Keep up your practice and maybe you'll be one of the writers.

• Like 1

You've got some great advice here, Pranaman !

As a real book lover, it's so hard ... but I have to agree with what's been said already!

You can take any move and break it down. Further and further and even further.

and "hold" it, feel(learn) the alignments, the places and spaces your joints are opened and closed,

If you only chose to hold postures you will experiences things that could never be written!

... things there are No words to describe(though we still try to,LOL!)!

Wether you study anatomy and physiology, acupuncture, energetic anatomy, or trees!

Makes no difference. This is stuff I think, you Want to Experience for yourself :)

A Trick.

Always ask questions.

then more questions

and even more questions!

Don't believe anything on blind faith ... even from yourself,lol!

Not to be disrespectful of a teacher or anyone, but listen and investigate.

Remain curious always!!!

Working with others is KEY.

Once you think you have a posture down, have someone who will test it on you.

An easy way is to have a person push gently on you as you hold a pose.

If it collapses, figure out why. Try again.

Don't use "brute" force. If the structure is correct it should hold.

If it collapses try opening other joints or putting the tai chi principals into action.

Or try not to put them into action and see what happens!

If you can find someone to practice with outside of class, I'd highly recommend it!

Then if you think you are pretty close and ask a teacher to test it even better!

and above all else have fun with it. U learn more and are happier to continue on

if it's something you enjoy.

Good luck, Stay well!

Shon

Did you find a staff?

:D

I haven't found a staff, unfortunately I don't drive and the nearest martial arts supply store is some odd 30 miles away, plus a lack of money. I will certainly get one, and for now my bodyweight is enough of a challenge. I'm the guy reigning in at a massive 3 pull-ups! Anyway, i'm practicing everyday, only an hour to an hour and a half, strength will come. Also, my training time has gradually increased, synchronistic with my standing time....

Agreed.

_/\_

I'm in the process of basically forgetting most stuff I've read (even though the information still lingers in there somewhere) and letting myself re-discover it through practice. all that 'extra' knowledge is good but it is not without its caveats. everything springs forth from the basics, so even if you study something basic, practice it for a while, then go back to it...you might find that the same basic information strikes you differently, even much more profoundly...after you connect to it through experiential means.

• Like 2

You've got some great advice here, Pranaman !

As a real book lover, it's so hard ... but I have to agree with what's been said already!

You can take any move and break it down. Further and further and even further.

and "hold" it, feel(learn) the alignments, the places and spaces your joints are opened and closed,

If you only chose to hold postures you will experiences things that could never be written!

... things there are No words to describe(though we still try to,LOL!)!

Wether you study anatomy and physiology, acupuncture, energetic anatomy, or trees!

Makes no difference. This is stuff I think, you Want to Experience for yourself :)

A Trick.

Always ask questions.

then more questions

and even more questions!

Don't believe anything on blind faith ... even from yourself,lol!

Not to be disrespectful of a teacher or anyone, but listen and investigate.

Remain curious always!!!

Working with others is KEY.

Once you think you have a posture down, have someone who will test it on you.

An easy way is to have a person push gently on you as you hold a pose.

If it collapses, figure out why. Try again.

Don't use "brute" force. If the structure is correct it should hold.

If it collapses try opening other joints or putting the tai chi principals into action.

Or try not to put them into action and see what happens!

If you can find someone to practice with outside of class, I'd highly recommend it!

Then if you think you are pretty close and ask a teacher to test it even better!

and above all else have fun with it. U learn more and are happier to continue on

if it's something you enjoy.

Good luck, Stay well!

Shon

Did you find a staff?

:D

This is by far the most interesting. Spontaneous qigong is for me, holding a pose until it starts to go on its own then it shows the energyloops externally, while keeping the stance ignoring the impulse of external movement (then the energy circulation goes internally) I've been filming my moves in external spontaneous qigong,..cause..I noticed pace is slowing drastically down., revealing transition areas where alignment into nongravital balance is achieved. And watching the vid I see someone like moving through water, riding gravity.. it looks like I move in slowmotion film. I watched those undulating dragon gate dancers some years ago and it seems I dechiffered some of their form. in a highly nonprofessional way.

Sense? Wow,.. words..trying to share is difficult.

Zhan shuang is priceless as starting point.

Edited by rain

Seek to ask questions with the body, they will be answered faster than you expect.

holding a pose until it starts to go on its own then it shows the energyloops
Edited by Spectrum

I was at a weekend workshop with Sifu Lam Kam Chuen and just searched for an image of dragon stance, this was the first hit at google, haha. Awesome workshop, awe-inspiring man! We did a little bit of push hands exercise and while we were circling our hands in front of us to warm up, and was was talking about this and that, he mentioned to always circle 80% inward and only 20% outward. I asked, 'why?', and he just laughed and said 'western questions'...But after a couple minutes, he looked at me and coyly said quietly, 'Because you want to win. That's why Taiji always loses'.

tgal-i.jpg This is Yu Yong Nian in Yiquan's "Dragon Stance".I like it alot.How do I learn the effects of specific postures, the ins and outs of the chi body's anatomy and how zhan zhuang, and every taiji posture affects it?

Have a scroll through the Chinese Health QiGong Association resources via that link in my sig.

There's some good stuff over there.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

The eight Tai Ji postures for exertion of maximum energy(勁,jin)

Edited by ChiDragon