sunshine

mixing Standing med with other Qi Gong?

I today received the Zhanh Zhuang standing meditation/Qi Gong book...

question to all but especially those who practice that system.

how do you view the mixing of systems?

I have heard different teachers say that mixing systems is no good option, as each develops the body energy system in different ways and practicing different ones at the same time might make trouble...

now. While doing standing meditation should I stop things like ocean breathing a la Winn or other stuff?

In case not. Can I practice them after each other in one session or better separate them leaving each for different sessions?

lets hear

Harry

I today received the Zhanh Zhuang  standing meditation/Qi Gong book...

Just out of interest, which book have you gone for?

I think that you may have to be careful of what you mix at the same time (though I don't think you will have a problem with Ocean Beathing and ZZ at the same time). Anything that involves too much body movement will defeat some of the basic purposes of ZZ. Most of the books I have on the subject say that you just still the mind as much as possible during ZZ, but in my experience its OK to do other things with the mind, and also with the breath provided that there is no forcing involved.

I would certainly say that doing another system after ZZ is fine (and is what I do). Just make sure that you finish your ZZ session with at least a couple of minutes in the Wu Chi position before starting your next system

Just out of interest, which book have you gone for?

5681[/snapback]

I am holding The Way of Energy in my hands... any other's to go for?

and thankx for your thoughts

Harry

I am holding The Way of Energy in my hands... any other's to go for?

Good book, probably the best of those that I have. He has also written Way of Power and 15 Minute Chi Gong, both of which also cover ZZ, but Way of Energy is the most complete. There is also Warriors of Stillness by Jan somebody or other, which is good, but much more complex. I'd just stick with the one you have.

and thankx for your thoughts
No problem

mix and match is the way to go! Lam Kam Chuen doesn't recommend it, as it does change the effect, but so what? To be a great practitioner you have to find practices that you absolutely love.

Try eyes open and eyes closed, healing sounds, inner smile, ocean breathing, whatever.

My favorite drill at the moment is eyes closed standing and feeling the bottom of my feet.

Sometimes starting out with an active practice or visualization will help the mind slow down so then you can let go of the practice after awhile and just be.

-Yoda

Sunshine,

I agree with everything BobD has said above and reccomend rereading those posts.

The way of energy is all you need to read. The way forward is to practice, not do more research.

ZZ involves standing with a quiet mind. If you're not doing that, you're not really doing ZZ. That doesn't mean you can't do inner smile, MCO or other meditations while standing. I do them all the time. But it's just a different practice.

It's like saying "I learned to sit in lotus position to do zen mediation. Can I sit in lostus and do the MCO?" Well, yes, of course you can. And it's beneficial. But it's not zen.

My suggestion is start with any sort of chi kung warm ups you like, including ocean breathing, healing sounds, whatever. And THEN practice zz the way it's described in the book. Do that for a few months and then add or subtract whatever you like.

Thankx guys for your suggestions & thoughts on the subject. Today I was allowed to learn that soon a student of Lam Kam Chuen will do a weekend workshop in my hometown... should I get the funds together I will be taking part...

thankx again guys

Harry

Its important to exersize eyes.

Move with breathing.

My friend went to a nerulolgist chirpracter who just did mad eye tests as diagnosis...

I was thinking the other day that its mad good for the brain.

Also I was thinking that meditation is all about connecting to the 1. Now literaly, in the center of the brain is the crystal palace, like thats where the mental 1 connecits in the shen...the eyes use 70 percent of our energy so you better fix them!