Sign in to follow this  
wudangquan

What would you study?

If you could go to study anywhere, and study any (existing) major that you wanted without any troubles, what would you do?

I took the entrance exam for the Therevada Buddhist Missionary University in Yangon Myanmar when I lived in Korea and got accepted but never went.

There's also a Buddhist college in Hat Yai, south Thailand that seemed pretty good.

These days I feel like I would like to do academic research on entheogens, study chinese medicine, check out a few of the martial arts degree programs, etc.

If there were no bar, what would you study and where would you study at?

Strictly for personal fulfillment - not for finding a job or whatever.

I didn't expect alot of stuff about physics. That's a pretty good idea.

I read a book called "In Search Of Shroedingers Cat" when I was a young kid and thought it was very interesting.

However, I see any math beyond simple algebra . . .

^{0+0}^ =/= ^{PX9}^ . . . Something like that

And all I see is catface is not equal to pigface . . . I could probably study hard and learn to do math at higher levels, but I really feel like it would be pretty difficult.

About the place at Wudang . . . I haven't ever trained or studied at Master Yuans school but it seems like he's thought pretty highly of. I believe his secretary (if he's a member excuse me!) has a blog and what not, and alot of stuff on youtube as well.

There are a couple of other very good teachers I think, and a bunch of not very good ones, but . . . Save your pennies for that one. It's not so cheap.

How about, just for the sake of talking - we talk about degree or diploma granting institutions, though.

I would go to the Taoist College at Wudangshan to continue my formal training and be an official priest. Plan on doing that once our temple is built in the US anyway but I'd like to go through the formal training there. Can go through some of it right now but not all yet.

Wudangspirit (Zhong Xu)

If you could go to study anywhere, and study any (existing) major that you wanted without any troubles, what would you do?

I took the entrance exam for the Therevada Buddhist Missionary University in Yangon Myanmar when I lived in Korea and got accepted but never went.

There's also a Buddhist college in Hat Yai, south Thailand that seemed pretty good.

These days I feel like I would like to do academic research on entheogens, study chinese medicine, check out a few of the martial arts degree programs, etc.

If there were no bar, what would you study and where would you study at?

Strictly for personal fulfillment - not for finding a job or whatever.

Wow what a big question. Here's my list:

~ College of Tao

~ Tom Brown Jr Tracker School

~ Chu King-Hung or Johnny Ding to honour my Tai Chi lineage

~ Dr Yang Jwing Ming's Academy

~ Systema

~ John and Caitlin Matthews to honour my Celtic Heritage

~ Findhorn's Community Development Program

I think that should keep me well occupied over the next 20 years or so :D

Basket weaving, university of Hawaii

Really, meditative and relaxing. I'd want to learn to create oversize baskets for composting. Use basket weaving to design awesome hanging gardens for fruits and veggies. Explore weave designs to trap morning dew.

Basket weaving.. Hawaii, yeah.

B)

There is an old chinese saying... Read 10,000 books, travel 10,000 miles, to find the way.

Good Luck.

I'd like to learn from a deity. Whatever is offered.

I'm kind of fishing for something more academic, or for places that grant credentials, degrees, or diplomas.

The reason I'm even thinking about this stuff is at some point, I need to get more formal education, as I have none.

To give some background, I was involved in one of the earliest cases of juvenile white collar/computer crime in America . . . And I hit the streets at around 15 in flight from punishment.

In retrospect, I should have just taken my lumps, but when you're pulling up your bugle boys and you see the fbi, secret service and local police run up to your house with guns drawn before school . . . It does something to you. :)

So that is really the origin of my wayfaring that I mentioned. By the time I was 18 and it didn't matter anymore, I was already conditioned to living outside of normal society, so I never really fully re-integrated.

Now I'm in my 30s, and I am kind of interested in education for its own sake (although I think I have a somewhat profound education that I've found and made myself), and . . . Although I don't plan to go back to the West, if the economy really collapses or something like that, I've been thinking that I should go back to take care of my father when he's old if he needs it.

But . . . I really don't think I'm cut out to be a car salesman, or a computer programmer, or a gym teacher.

What I'm interested in, almost exclusively is philosophy of existence, cultivation, martial arts, etc. - at the expense of almost anything else.

In a way, I feel like maybe I should have gone to the Buddhist university in Myanmar when I got accepted, but the word on that was that there was almost zero meditation teaching, and that it would be academically unsatisfying for most intelligent people.

So while I'm lurking around China for the next few years, I should probably figure something out.

At this point, Chinese medicine colleges are seeming like the most likely bet. I would be up for any spiritual studies at a university or college level, or seminary assuming that it was oriented towards cultivation and not just cold academic research.

I'm also not trying to be constrained by a specific tradition, although my primary interest in Taoism.

I guess I'm looking to be a voyeur into your thoughts about what you would do, to help me make a better decision about what I am going to do.

The only real constraint is finances. Otherwise there's not much that I can't do, if it seems like a good thing to do.

For example it's no problem for me to go live in Myanmar for the next 10 years to get a PhD. in Dhamma, but there's no way I could afford to get even an associates degree at Naropa.

I would do Chinese Medicine if I were you. It may help you take care of your father if you decide to come back to the states, in addition to helping you with your own cultivation practice. :)

The Chi Nei Tsang school in Berkley interests me, as does the entire field of body work. Maybe this whole topsy turvey mess with our development driven economy is happening for a reason (things are really slow at work).

Sign in to follow this