Sign in to follow this  
Unconditioned

What does 'cultivation' mean?

I've heard the term 'cultivation' used many times on the board and am not familiar with that term in relation to Taoism or Buddhism.

I'm assuming it's what results from practice?

Can anyone enlighten me? :lol:

It's just a general analogous term. There is no real special meaning to it and we use it in west such as saying someone needs to cultivate good behaviour. Taoists and Buddhists have taken it in the west though and often use "cultivation" to specifically mean "spiritual practice". Thats my take anyway....

It's just a general analogous term. There is no real special meaning to it and we use it in west such as saying someone needs to cultivate good behaviour. Taoists and Buddhists have taken it in the west though and often use "cultivation" to specifically mean "spiritual practice". Thats my take anyway....

I'd generally agree. "Internal cultivation" is also something I've heard, which is a little clearer.

One thing I also associate "cultivation" with is gardening/farming. "Cultivate the land", has the connotation of work that takes some time, in the measure of at least a season. "100 days" is often considered one "gong" in qi gong cultivation. B)

I'd generally agree. "Internal cultivation" is also something I've heard, which is a little clearer.

One thing I also associate "cultivation" with is gardening/farming. "Cultivate the land", has the connotation of work that takes some time, in the measure of at least a season. "100 days" is often considered one "gong" in qi gong cultivation. B)

"Gong" is probably close to "cultivation."

"Gong" is probably close to "cultivation."

Taomeow,

Actually it would be xiu1 not gong1.

Sign in to follow this