qijack

Tai Chi 18, Shibashi free video download

Here is a fantastic qi gong form that i would recommend to anyone Beginner or Advanced

Its called Shibashi or Tai Chi 18 qi gong

When practicing the emphasis is on integrating the movements with your breath and mind which brings you to a very blissful state of wholeness.

Anyway in case anyone is interested there is a free video download of this form here http://www.taichi18.com/

The master of this webpage has also written a few great articles about Shaolin Nei Jing Gong practices (one of the gems to have come out of the shaolin tradition) for those that might want to know more about that .. I know rain would :)

Cheers

Edited by qijack
  • Like 1

Absolutely. I used to practice this qigong in the past and it is very good. I've mentioned it in a few other posts.

There is a free online tutorial at this website:

http://www.everyday-taichi.com/taiji-qigong.html

Sometimes people look for the mysterious when easy to find methods offer significant benefits. These are very good exercises for health and well being.

Best,

Mike

Hey gijack.

I found this a few days ago:

(goddammitt, I never remember how to post a youtube-clip...)

Is this the Shaoilin Nei Jing Gong you do with the finger-bending stuff?

The key to shaolin nei jing gung are in the standing postures to build internal energy.When this energy is substantial, then you use the finger bending methods to circulate that energy and refine it through certain channels.The finger bending changes the quality of this energy to a very high level and opens up the channels and point in the hands so you can better absorb and transmit energy with nature.Then there are methods to learn how to project this energyfor healing and so on

Im not really familiar with the stuff in the video's but it seems to be the more popular Nei Jing Gong branch known in the west and doesnt seem to show any of the standing postures

Edited by qijack

Could someone please compare/contrast the benefits of this Tai Chi 18 practice with Zhang Zhuang? A fellow on Youtube, Tai Chi Matt (from the UK) I believe posted a video of this form. I've learned the first six movements and enjoy doing them. I also have been standing hugging the tree for some time now. I like the movement of the Tai Chi 18, but don't feel the core development of the pole standing. Zhang Zhuang opens things up nicely and I can feel the core work, but the lack of variety gets to me sometime (hey,I'm a Yank!). Because the Tai Chi 18 is done standing, do you get the core benefits of ZZ? Thank you.

My Sihing runs a Tai Chi class and teaches the Shibashi exercises. As a funny story he use to turn up late to his teachers class so he didn't have to do the Shibashi as a warm up, now he teaches them :) Everyone in class finds them enjoyable, I particularly like Painting the Rainbow and Bouncing a Ball but I don't practice them myself. Prefer to do the Tai Chi form.

Zhang Zhuang opens things up nicely and I can feel the core work, but the lack of variety gets to me sometime (hey,I'm a Yank!).

hehehe :) I think that is the point. I doubt a moving exercise like Shibashi is going to give you what Zhang Zhuang will.

why not just practice both? they are very compatible.My teacher emphasises the importance of doing stillness after movement

Zhang Zhuang has unique effects completely different from moving forms

Tai Chi 18 is great if you want health and balance

Zhang Zhuang is more about building internal energy and sensitivity

Edited by qijack

How fun you should mention Shibshi chigong, I practised it for 6 months before I started with the neigong and luohan gong with my recent master. I enjoyed the forms, both fun and rewarding and they have a nice forum too. Generous.

Eric, I see from my papers that Shibashi do have the horse stance in several forms, They even show how to drop into zanshuang in the commencing form. "Rowing a boat" is very steep, "Playing with Clouds", "Punching"just add the zhan zhuang. MAybe you have been led to think that zhan zhuang must be very deep stance? You can of ourse eepen when yu have gained strenght.

Else I would do a deep separate zhanzhuang before I start the shibashi routine if you feel like to building up more internal energy first.

Edited by rain

Thank you all for the input. What I have been doing is 8 pieces of brochade prior to zhang zhuang as a warm up. Perhaps its time to consider using shibashi as a warm up. Some of the movements seem very similar.