Sign in to follow this  
Pranaman

qigong and emotions

i've been practicing Yiquan's Zhan Zhuang, and not-so-random strength conditioning exercises, some of which I speculate comes from my teacher's Praying Mantis or Luk Hop Ba Fa background, but I have no idea. Anyway, when I do my practices dilligently, I do notice a better presence within me, I frequency that won't lower itself for egoic emotions and thoughts. Out of curiousity, are there any meditations or qigong forms that are directly for emotions and thoughts that are to inevitably be transcended? by the way, I practice presence through out the day as written by Eckhart Tolle.

Microcosmic Orbit meditations should clear up emotional blockages. Personally, I do Arhatic Kundalini Yoga Meditation. It's different from usual qi gong and other yoga meditations that circulate energy in the microcosmic orbit because the sequence is modified to produce a more powerful meditation.

I guess the most widely disseminated form of microcosmic orbit meditation is Mantak Chia's version. Try reading his Awakening Healing Energy.

But I will personally recommend the one I'm using- Arhatic Kundalini Yoga Meditation. If you're interested, visit www.arhaticyoga.org.

Microcosmic Orbit meditations should clear up emotional blockages.

Tread Lightly.

Emo A Nay Tion.

Practice Firedrills.

Stand & Breath.

Intent Mind Body.

1 2 3 A B C M E U

I've been kind of wanting to start Chunyi Lin's Spring Forest Qigong again, but I don't want to have to listen to his cd to do the small universe meditation. I think his form is really great, and effective. My ego doesn't like that it's so well known. Out of spite for my ego and love of growth, maybe I should surrender to the practice.

As our energy flow becomes clear and full, our emotions become balanced and our thoughts become calmer. So any good practice will create this for you. Which is nice! :)

So erratic emotions are a sign of unbalanced energy, within the organs.

A system which works very directly with this is Mantak Chia's "transforming Stress into Vitality" - a very simple system which allows you to get in tune with each organ and vent toxic energy from it. It can be a handy 'first aid tool', as it allows you to get to know your organ and its emotional correlation very initimately, so that any surge of emotion that you feel is uncontrollable of innapropriate, can be traced back to it's organ of origin and vented via the sounds and breaths taught in this system.

So that is one system which works explicitly with the emotions.

Out of curiousity, are there any meditations or qigong forms that are directly for emotions and thoughts that are to inevitably be transcended? by the way, I practice presence through out the day as written by Eckhart Tolle.

Every form will and every form won't from my experience. It really depends on your state of mind through practicing. Going for a walk and breathing, stretching and breathing, people watching and breathing, anything and breathing will clear emotions. Why? Emotional baggage is stagnant Qi. A repressed emotion or habitual emotion is a little pocket of Qi that doesn't flow properly. This is one of the few real root causes of disease. Breath moves the Qi. As the breath deepens, becomes smoother and more regular, so to does the Qi flow. Notice how your mental state affects your breath and how your breath affect your mental state.

意到气到血到

Qi follows awareness, blood follows Qi.

Higher quality breath means more Qi follows your awareness. When an emotion comes up be aware of it but don't feed it. In this case awareness means watching the mind not becoming it. IE, in meditation you remember you forgot to do your homework, so you start thinking about how to do it, how long it will take, etc. That's becoming the mind and feeding the anxiety that produced that thought. Awareness, means the thought comes up - forgot to do homework - you just let it mutter on like background noise. If you were paying close attention to the body and breath when this thought came up, you might have noticed a change. A feeling in the body, a stuffiness to the breath, just pay attention - where the awareness goes, Qi follows - just watching, just observing, nourishing Qi follows, you are healing. Try to do it and the Qi will get stuck where you're trying from. Be patient, just watch, and old emotions will open up and flow away.

If you really want a fast study in this attend a Vipassana retreat. No talking. No distractions. 10 hours a day of meditation. You'll learn volumes.

Every form will and every form won't from my experience. It really depends on your state of mind through practicing. Going for a walk and breathing, stretching and breathing, people watching and breathing, anything and breathing will clear emotions. Why? Emotional baggage is stagnant Qi. A repressed emotion or habitual emotion is a little pocket of Qi that doesn't flow properly. This is one of the few real root causes of disease. Breath moves the Qi. As the breath deepens, becomes smoother and more regular, so to does the Qi flow. Notice how your mental state affects your breath and how your breath affect your mental state.

意到气到血到

Qi follows awareness, blood follows Qi.

Higher quality breath means more Qi follows your awareness. When an emotion comes up be aware of it but don't feed it. In this case awareness means watching the mind not becoming it. IE, in meditation you remember you forgot to do your homework, so you start thinking about how to do it, how long it will take, etc. That's becoming the mind and feeding the anxiety that produced that thought. Awareness, means the thought comes up - forgot to do homework - you just let it mutter on like background noise. If you were paying close attention to the body and breath when this thought came up, you might have noticed a change. A feeling in the body, a stuffiness to the breath, just pay attention - where the awareness goes, Qi follows - just watching, just observing, nourishing Qi follows, you are healing. Try to do it and the Qi will get stuck where you're trying from. Be patient, just watch, and old emotions will open up and flow away.

If you really want a fast study in this attend a Vipassana retreat. No talking. No distractions. 10 hours a day of meditation. You'll learn volumes.

Thank you so much for this. Different medical qigong exercises are designed to enhance chiflow through partiular meridians and pull energy to particular parts of our body. We learn to work on the whole body through the 12 ordinary, then the 8 extraordinary meridians. Certain organs correspond to particular emotions.Emotions can be stuck in any part imho.

Personally I am fond of a particular exercises to stimulate the lungs.. :) (grief) because Im tending to a certain part of my body with a fracture that keeps blocking the flow (collarbone)...to keep it open so the qi and emotions can flow. Unfortunately i have only norwegian names for these exerises. If you hav certain parts you recognize having a tendency to hold on to energy, tell me and I will try to find and explain a suiting exerc.

Edited by rain

Macrocosmic Orbit is achieved from practicing standing meditation, while Microcosmic Orbit comes from sitting meditation. They are essentially the same thing, with one including the legs, the other while sitting down.

According to Chinese medical theory, each emotion corresponds with a meridian or energetic state, we cycle through the meridians during the course of a day about every two hours.

For men, the usual problem is the storing of anger/fear in the area of the tan tien, and releasing it causes a lot of emotional upheaval. This is when most guys stop practicing yiquan, you pussies.

Bruce Frantzis's water method meditation is an easy, gentle way to help dissolve energetic blockages.

Also, Thich Nhat Han's writings are good for inspiration during meditation.

Sign in to follow this