Nikola

Trataka

Well, I hope this isn't the wrong place for the thread. I'm still very new to taoism and the whole philosophy.

Here's a link (not the best one, but it explains what it is, trataka isn't complicated)

http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/news/Med...ion/trataka.asp

So anyway, the thing is, this is the meditation I feel best suits me. I have tried a few and trataka is the one that has the deepest effect in me. I have been doing it before I was even aware it had a name (or any other meditation techniques), it came sort of instinctively. I'm not currently doing it regularly, but will start in a week or two (I'm in a bit of a chaotic situation right now, but it will pass soon). My question is, would you say it's beneficial or destructive, from a taoist point of view? Do you see it as a waste of energy?

I'm not trying to put any sort of responsibility on anyone here, the decision is mine (and I think I have already made it), but I'm interested in seeing the opinion of the tao bums here :). What do you think of trataka?

Well, I hope this isn't the wrong place for the thread. I'm still very new to taoism and the whole philosophy.

Here's a link (not the best one, but it explains what it is, trataka isn't complicated)

http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/news/Med...ion/trataka.asp

So anyway, the thing is, this is the meditation I feel best suits me. I have tried a few and trataka is the one that has the deepest effect in me. I have been doing it before I was even aware it had a name (or any other meditation techniques), it came sort of instinctively. I'm not currently doing it regularly, but will start in a week or two (I'm in a bit of a chaotic situation right now, but it will pass soon). My question is, would you say it's beneficial or destructive, from a taoist point of view? Do you see it as a waste of energy?

I'm not trying to put any sort of responsibility on anyone here, the decision is mine (and I think I have already made it), but I'm interested in seeing the opinion of the tao bums here :). What do you think of trataka?

I would say that it seems to be an effective introductory practice to help still the mind and focus awareness.

I think it is a very good practice but I know that some people get problems with becoming to intesely aware in their eyes and head and a bit disconected from the body, but usualy it works fine. Over the long term I think other meditations should probably be added but for now I`d say go for it. You could probably get a lot of usefull info about Tratak at yoga forums

I think it is a very good practice but I know that some people get problems with becoming to intesely aware in their eyes and head and a bit disconected from the body, but usualy it works fine. Over the long term I think other meditations should probably be added but for now I`d say go for it. You could probably get a lot of usefull info about Tratak at yoga forums

those problems usually come from not having any complimentary 'closedown' practice that serves to extricate the extra energy from the head.

the kunlun closedown would probably work with it...and I have also been doing some light head massage after I do kunlun or red phoenix.

I also had good benefits with this kind of meditation including better resolve, better eye sight, calmer mind, disconnect from external influences. it helps me undo the damage from constantly staring at the flickering screen.

however I don't use a candle because the burning smell bothers me much, I prefer an incense stick in a very dark room to maximize the effect. I cover up any sources of light for this to work because after relaxing and focusing on the incense light other slight lights will detract from my focus. the candle produces too much light compared to the incense stick, I put a black wool or heavy cotton shirt/fabric behind the incense stick in order to enhance darkness and reduce reflections. also there has to be some ventilation for the smoke.

I read in the book 72 secret arts of the shaolin temple that the distance should be 6.6 meters and using a sesame oil lamp covered by light green paper. the practice also says to keep eyes closed when you first wake up and massage them and move them around and massage the face and head. and supplement with sheep liver (I use milk thistle and bilberry). the book says that you will be able to see in a dark night as far as 33 meters (If I remember correctly).

I remember the story mentioned by Yang Jwing-Ming about the archer's training to focus on incense sticks and after 3 years he could increase the size of the after image in his mind and be very focused.

Edited by Desert Eagle

Nikola,

It's great that you're having success with this practice. You may start feel anger come up after extended practice - let it come up and become aware how it feels in the body. There is nothing to do but to be aware of it, if it comes up.

Regarding getting back into your body. Try not to over-extend yourself from the start or you won't keep to it. Find one exercise that makes you feel real good and stick to it. I highly recommend IntuFlow which will very quickly get you into your body and have you moving in new ways (this is important if you want to change habits). It's not very physically demanding but it will make you feel very good... when you really get into a routine with it and feel comfortable doing it daily, then add something else... pace yourself.

the anger issues were getting a bit too much so I edited the posts, wouldn't want to lead someone to some problems

in any case, never mix alcohol and tratak

Edited by Nikola

I have had some minor anger issues including things like violent dreams (which I don't have usually), but it's nothing I can't live with. I can be aware of it.

I found intu-flow instructions on youtube and it seems like a great thing to start with. I'll start tomorrow.

There's one thing I forgot to ask. Contrast showers. I like to do them, but haven't done them recently because of some heating problems in my house. They make me feel very relaxed and aware of my body in a positive way. It is basically my variation of hot/cold baths that I read about in Mantak Chia's book. What is your opinion on this? Is it good for me to do this?

Thanks freeform

Good stuff all-round!

the hot and cold shower is good to do - take the time afterward to really pay attention to what's going on in your body.

It's also good practice to extend your awareness in daily activities. If you're waiting for the bus notice how your feet feel, the pressure they're exerting on the ground, and the pressure the ground is exerting back on your feet... in general, whenever you have a moment (it only takes a split second) just notice where your weight is resting, notice the temperature on your skin, the texture of your clothes etc. If you have emotions or reactions, notice the feeling in your body - where is it most concentrated, does it move, how does it move - is it heavy/light, expansive /contracting, smooth/rough etc etc... Doing these little practices throughout the day may seem like nothing, but you'll find them very subtly changing your entire world by affecting your habitual patterns of awareness.

Also it's best to stay away from applied breathing exercises for the time being. The best thing to do in the beginning is breath awareness meditation - which is basically just paying attention to what it's like to breathe and as soon as your mind wanders, get back to paying attention to your breathing. Very simple but very powerful.

Let us know how you get on!

:)