Sign in to follow this  
Eric23

First Yin Yoga Class

So I took my first Yin Yoga class this evening! Actually, my first yoga class period. I've been doing a fair amount of stretching since high school track (over 3 decades ago) ,have done yoga learned from websites, but this was my first experience with a live teacher. This old fart has some really tight hamstrings! Lots of stillness and breath work to relax through the tense muscles. Our instructor did a great job having us focus on breathing, giving us more emphasis on meditation than the asanas themselves.

By the end of the class my body was sooo relaxed :) I'll be going back next Monday evening. until then, I've got some good direction for my morning practice.

Edited by Eric23

So I took my first Yin Yoga class this evening! Actually, my first yoga class period. I've been doing a fair amount of stretching since high school track (over 3 decades ago) ,have done yoga learned from websites, but this was my first experience with a live teacher. This old fart has some really tight hamstrings! Lots of stillness and breath work to relax through the tense muscles. Our instructor did a great job having us focus on breathing, giving us more emphasis on meditation than the asanas themselves.

By the end of the class my body was sooo relaxed :) I'll be going back next Monday evening. until then, I've got some good direction for my morning practice.

I had a yin yoga instructor in thailand and felt very smooth and relaxed after class like you. Many of the exercises were similar to the ones I have been doing all my life, and those are hatha yoga poses, so I am a bit confused as

to what is what here, same with the Zen yoga, some of those poses are also a part of my daily hatha yoga routine.

Are you still working regularly with the chi nei tsang?

From the reading I've done, my understanding is that yin and hatha do share asanas, although yin asanas are given a different name and they only use about a dozen or so. The asanas that yin does use are designed to work facia, open joints and meridians. In yin, the asanas are done for long periods of time, 3-5 minutes. My knowledge of hatha is limited, but the books say the emphasis is more on muscle rather that facia. I thought I was holding my asanas for a long time at home on my own, but my teacher had us holding them for what seemed forever. You would settle in, experience the sensation/pain of being torn asunder and then breathe through it until the muscles relaxed. I was wondering just how long I could go, but her soft words of encouragement to breathe and to feel the body connect to the earth kept me going until I felt an opening.

Yes, still working with Chi Nei Tsang/Unwinding the Belly. Happy camper :)

I had a yin yoga instructor in thailand and felt very smooth and relaxed after class like you. Many of the exercises were similar to the ones I have been doing all my life, and those are hatha yoga poses, so I am a bit confused as

to what is what here, same with the Zen yoga, some of those poses are also a part of my daily hatha yoga routine.

Are you still working regularly with the chi nei tsang?

Talking about Yoga in Thailand, if you're every up that way again you should look up Yogini Kim White from Mind Body Yoga. She is one of the few people I've met who do Yoga like a proper internal discipline and not just doing the shapes. Asanas are rooted and structure/alignment are all foundational in her lineage.

Strict and demanding of her students so no spoon feeding there if you're only half serious about Yoga.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Enjoy your practice,

mouse

mm..nice thank you mouse. she looks softer and younger than me, but I'd love to have a go if she

is available where I'm headed. where's she located? I'm going both north and south this winter.

mm..nice thank you mouse. she looks softer and younger than me, but I'd love to have a go if she

is available where I'm headed. where's she located? I'm going both north and south this winter.

rain,

She's normally in Phuket but occasionally teaches in Chiang Mai as well so I guess both north and south are covered.

Best if you drop her an email and check her schedule as she conducts seminars in Australia and the region twice a year so may be out of Thailand when you visit.

Her website is www.mindbodyyoga.com.au

Enjoy your practice

mouse

rain,

if you go to Thailand again, I highly recommend you check out Agama Yoga school (http://www.agamayoga.com/). I know Swami Vivekananda Saraswati very well. He is truly an amazing being and teacher.

thanks for your links. will do so. a friend of mine is moving to the southwest. going to see people in chiang mai too.

looking forward to visit the markets and cook too. mm!

Edited by rain

Sign in to follow this