Sign in to follow this  
markern

Spreading the Gospel

Are you doing anything to get other people involved in meditation or energy practices? As I have gained more and more benefits of practicing I have gotten very interested in getting others to start because I see how beneficial it would be to them. I do this when I see a good option for it in normal conversations and I do it by recommending meditation, yoga or Qi Gong to people in web forums when they ask for advice for problems such as anxiety, derpession, ADHD or insomnia. Now I am going to find some mental health forums to find more people to give this advice to. When I feel qualified in the future I plan to give free introductory courses in meditation to give people who would otherwise not have tried it a taste which might get them to continue. My plan is to offer it to doctors, psychologist and students in those diciplins because presumably getting one person like that to practice would lead them to recommend it to a lot of patients. Other ways I have thought of increasing the efficiency of spreading meditation is to offer it to large organisations/buisinesses because if they like the results for a few people that I give a free course to, they might implement a program of free meditation for all their employes. Several businesses has done this. It would also be efficient to offer it for free to scientists/researhcers within fields that might do relevant research such as psychology professors, brain researhers, quantum physicists and philosophers. Offering it as a free course at a health club might make them start offering it themselves if they get good feeback. Physiotherapists, personal trainers, journalists writing about health, school teachers (especially gym teachers), athletes, and anyone belonging to a group that has frequent access to the media will increase the spread. I see this as very worth while becasue no only do I see the benefit for myself in such practices but studies so clearly demonstrate the value for anypne who takes it up in terms of happiness, health and behaviour towards others. So my apeal to you guys is to do whatever you think might make more people practice these things in order to make the world better. Don`t just practice, spread the gospel :)

My personal opinion is, to advertize by example. You won't even need to bring up anything about your practice. It should be obvious to other people at some point that you're different, they'll see that in you. They'll see that strength and dept that comes from wisdom/awareness and they'll be drawn to you over time... and some people will notice the change (the people closest to you) and it will spark the same in them.

So my apeal to you guys is to do whatever you think might make more people practice these things in order to make the world better. Don`t just practice, spread the gospel :)

Amen Brother! Spread that qi gong gospel! :lol:

Sure inspiring by example is the most important thing but I hav gotten about 10 people to start with either yoga or meditation by talking to them person to person and about 20 or 30 people have said after I recommended such practices for their health problems online that they would take them up. That is very valuable work and the world would be a better place if we did more of it. Especially if we influence thos most likely to inlfluence others like doctors and personal trainers.

Sure inspiring by example is the most important thing but I hav gotten about 10 people to start with either yoga or meditation by talking to them person to person and about 20 or 30 people have said after I recommended such practices for their health problems online that they would take them up. That is very valuable work and the world would be a better place if we did more of it. Especially if we influence thos most likely to inlfluence others like doctors and personal trainers.

True - I guess I have some built-up aversion to "sharing your faith" from my Christian days (was basically part of a Christian 'cult' that was hellbent on recruiting). I see the value and speed that it can have. It worked for Christianity to some degree but that might be a good case study to see where things could end up.

But, I also think that it could become watered down. For example Western Yoga focuses on the physical aspects/benefits of Yoga but leaves behind a lot of the spiritual benefits/goals (at least that's how it is here in New England).

I definitely "spread the message" when the opportunity for spreading the message comes up in a normal conversation, not in the way that many uh... many other people spread their messages :P

For example, I'm a member of some other forums, and every once in a while someone comes in asking how to deal with anxiety, or stress in their life. They mention that their friends, family, doctors, teachers, etc, have recommended that they get on drugs and stuff.

Now, I'm not anti-modern medicine. I like modern medicine and all the good it has done for the world. But you shouldn't be taking more pills than you absolutely need in my opinion. Why should you be taking three or four medications for anxiety, ADHD, headaches, or whatever else you have when you may be able to benefit from meditation? Or just relaxing?

So I always tell them to try meditation. Try looking at their lives and finding a way to change things for the better without drugs. It's more natural. They'll be happier. And they won't be spending as much money on drugs :D

(though certainly if there is serious medical issues, you should follow the advice of the doctor... but if all you need is to learn how to get over stress and stress related illness, meditation and learning to calm yourself beats meds any day)

Are you doing anything to get other people involved in meditation or energy practices? As I have gained more and more benefits of practicing I have gotten very interested in getting others to start because I see how beneficial it would be to them. I do this when I see a good option for it in normal conversations and I do it by recommending meditation, yoga or Qi Gong to people in web forums when they ask for advice for problems such as anxiety, derpession, ADHD or insomnia. Now I am going to find some mental health forums to find more people to give this advice to. When I feel qualified in the future I plan to give free introductory courses in meditation to give people who would otherwise not have tried it a taste which might get them to continue. My plan is to offer it to doctors, psychologist and students in those diciplins because presumably getting one person like that to practice would lead them to recommend it to a lot of patients. Other ways I have thought of increasing the efficiency of spreading meditation is to offer it to large organisations/buisinesses because if they like the results for a few people that I give a free course to, they might implement a program of free meditation for all their employes. Several businesses has done this. It would also be efficient to offer it for free to scientists/researhcers within fields that might do relevant research such as psychology professors, brain researhers, quantum physicists and philosophers. Offering it as a free course at a health club might make them start offering it themselves if they get good feeback. Physiotherapists, personal trainers, journalists writing about health, school teachers (especially gym teachers), athletes, and anyone belonging to a group that has frequent access to the media will increase the spread. I see this as very worth while becasue no only do I see the benefit for myself in such practices but studies so clearly demonstrate the value for anypne who takes it up in terms of happiness, health and behaviour towards others. So my apeal to you guys is to do whatever you think might make more people practice these things in order to make the world better. Don`t just practice, spread the gospel :)

I am also on the spread by example side.

First of all because if I am not a good example it means I haven't really understood correctly the practices, or the practices I do aren't really that good, so another reason not to spread.

Second because I recognise the fundamental freedom of people to not be enlightened.

Third because I think I am not yet at a point where I can really speak about many things.

You see I only speak from my experience, but my experience is everything except a rosy nice one. It is quite wild, man, and often when I tell about it, people hear, are intrigued, but then are very happy to leave me to face my demons, and go back to their usual life.

In short I am not really sure why should people practice.

I cannot do otherwise, but other people?

It has been said:

to practice gungfu you need to love the aim and you need to love the work.

If they already do it, why would I need to speak.

If they don't, why would I need to speak.

SO what's left is the case of those who do it, but don't know where to start. Well, those have plenty of occasions in the modern society.

And my words would just show the difference between what I am trying to achieve and my state.

nonono.

I cannot spread the gospel. I also cannot really work by being an example (LOL).

Is there any viable alternative option?

Sign in to follow this