mewtwo

Become Taoist Priest?

Does anyone know of like a place/person who would accept student to become a Taoist Priest? You know its funny I thought I had this religion thing sorted out. I thought I was a Taoist then a buddhist but now I am leaning more to Taoism again. It is funny.

Does anyone know of like a place/person who would accept student to become a Taoist Priest? You know its funny I thought I had this religion thing sorted out. I thought I was a Taoist then a buddhist but now I am leaning more to Taoism again. It is funny.

Puh-leeeeeease! You should enter the vacillations I go through! I'd be interested in a Taoist Priest course of study too.

Puh-leeeeeease! You should enter the vacillations I go through! I'd be interested in a Taoist Priest course of study too.

I think there are many people here who are interested.

I think that as China opens up possibilities will open up too.

But all the taoist priests (that is, 1, Bruce) I know lived in China for some time.

So maybe going there wouldn't be a bad idea.

In the meantime studying Chinese also would not be a bad idea.

What about the temples (if they're such) that are in California and Australia?

Do they ordain local people, or only import them?

But . . . It can definitely be done in China and there are others besides Cohen I would say . . . Just not in the public view.

Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines might be a good idea too.

For those people who even imagine doing it in China - better to avoid the famous places I would say.

At almost any Temple I've ever been to here (and I've been to many), you usually have to render unto Caesar to get in (not to the temple, in the strictest sense, but to the "grounds" or the park or conservatory or whatever that's run by the PLA, etc.), but you can't get to the temple without doing that first.

So that's one thing, depending on your feelings about all that.

I would say just go to a mid tier city, find a local temple, and if you can learn some Chinese, or have some help ask them to help you learn how to meditate.

Then ask them to teach you some songs.

Certainly not in every case, but I think in alot of places, if it's obvious that you're not trying to get the Remo Williams death touch or some material to put into a new dvd release - they'll help you go quite far.

The thing about the smaller places is that there aren't the politics involved, as much. In the gross political sense, and in the sense of vying for reputation, a bigger herd of students, or whatever.

The place I studied last year was Longquan in Kunming, and I really really liked it. Vegetarian lunch for 5rmb every day, and once they saw me often enought not doing touristy stuff, they started getting curious.

In fact the contrast between there and here is so striking, that I'm putting out feelers to get a job there in the next two months and go back.

Of course, if you want to spend a solid $500 a month or more on political appointees in some places, learning barrel rolls and pirouettes in others, etc. - that's all available too. :)

There are very cool people in China, and they're just normal folks. There are plenty of uncool ones, too.

Like some of these famous qigong guys . . . If you can type/read Pinyin and see what some of them were doing during the last 9 years that allowed them to have their positions . . . Its not so good.

I have been ordained as a Daoist back in 1992 i dont follow the religion side anymore that much but i follow the way the best i can. You will never become a Daoist Priest from the beginning you will learn rites, prayers, proper mannerisms, study all the daoist information on the sect and memorise them etc. It is not easy and only a few will even achieve that rank. Unless you have proven yourself with the above possibly the Master will then take you in as a disciple to learn the tailismans, spells, and what not!

Goodluck with it all!

Spirit Ape

• Like 2

http://www.daoistmagic.com/info.php?i=2125

I came across this website a while back. I hope it helps.

Why would anyone want to go through all the hardship of wanting to be a Taoist Priest?

Tao is everywhere we are all gods within gods anyway.... I guess this is the reason why Max doesnt follow traditions that much these days?

Ape

Why does one have to be one or the other or anything

As I see it, a Daoist priest is someone who should have already been an extremely dedicated person who has done the meditation work for years and has had real spiritual accomplishments. Otherwise, why would people look up to you or go to you for council? It's like deciding that you want to open a Gongfu school without before you have any skill at it. Why would anyone want to attend that person's classes and learn from them?

You can find more information here: Becoming A Daoist Priest

• Like 1

Why does one have to be one or the other or anything

What do you mean by this?

For what it is worth, I am beginning a two year class tomorrow with an ordained Taoist Priest.

Dr. Ted Cibik

You can google him if you wish and get a general idea of who he is. I am not seeking Taoist priesthood at this point, but he does offer that from my understanding.

Labels place one in a fixed category. The emphasis being on fixed.

I agree, 'I am this or I am that' are concepts created in the mind and can be seen through as an illusion.

• Like 1

Then why even have a screename or come to an online forum where people use words and labels to describe "nothingness"?

:-)

It does take the practice of becoming "something" to realize one is ultimately "nothing".

Thus is the paradox of life, to me at least.

BTW Ren and Stimpy are awesome.

For what it is worth, I am beginning a two year class tomorrow with an ordained Taoist Priest.

Dr. Ted Cibik

You can google him if you wish and get a general idea of who he is. I am not seeking Taoist priesthood at this point, but he does offer that from my understanding.

I did google him, well actually I yahooed him, but the result came out pretty much the same.

According to Dr. Cibik's webpage he is a basically of the same school as Dr_D, since he lists himself as a graduate of Jerry Alan Johnson's International Institute of Medical Qigong.

Good luck with your studies.

well not all priest are performing the same kind of ritual so we actually dont need to be a taoist preist but what is important is that as long as your ritual or whatever you perform is seeing result then you can consider yourself good taoist practioner

Edited by wisetaobuddy

Well, a Taoist may not have to perform any rituals at all to be a good Taoist practitioner.

he was refering to a taoist priest and not a normal taoist follower or practioner so a priest need to be involved in chanting and ritual.

AM I right?

well not all priest are performing the same kind of ritual so we actually dont need to be a taoist preist but what is important is that as long as your ritual or whatever you perform is seeing result then you can consider yourself good taoist practioner

he was refering to a taoist priest and not a normal taoist follower or practioner so a priest need to be involved in chanting and ritual.

AM I right?

I was referring to the latter in the quote but it was ambiguous and argumentative.

I was referring to the latter in the quote but it was ambiguous and argumentative.

ok and you are right that we dont need to perform ritual to be a good taoist practioner