Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Breatharianism

I think the breatharian equivilent in eastern practices, and I guess specifically Chinese is Bigu.

I've done some fasting before, but never anything hard core like repel into a cave, cut the rope and cultivate until I achieved enlightenment or starved to death. . . .

It seems pretty iffy if you don't have a real solid foundation or really excellent teachers, or maybe something like awesome inherent capability like the Buddha or something.

That being said, the founder of the Breatharian movements was caught eating chicken pot pies late nite after one of their seminars, as I remember. :)

The healing tao usa had a good article on going breatharian. I think if you're pretty advanced and it comes naturally its a wonderful and powerful practice if it comes naturally. At its best its not asceticism. When you're hungry you eat, its just you don't need to.

In the book Masters of the Way, a woman interviewed spoke about often not eating for days. Not out of trying to be breatharian, but because she was following her own nature.

Michael

Do you have a link to the article?

I have some down time on Monday and would like to bookmark it to check out.

My guess or feeling is probably that the real issue is an attachment, or something like food lust (which I have a problem with, for sure!).

If you can or have eliminated the attachment, it probably doesn't matter how much you do or don't eat.

. . . I say as I sit gorged from the awesome skillet of chicken, vegetables and fat noodles that I cooked tonight.

I get served one meal a day for free, and it's pretty much garden variety strips of tof that taste like the bottom of a sneaker, some celery and rice, and maybe a soup that is basically hot water. I should try to be satisfied with just that for a while.

I think it's correct that the truth is usually simple but almost never easy!

Of all the things I have given up in life . . . I still gravitate towards designer eateries, and 3-5 star hotel buffets any chance I get because the stuff is so delicious. And gravy. I'm a hoosier.

Calories are energy Qi is energy I'm sure that it's possible to go days, maybe weeks without food and water if you just understand how to feed yourself with qi instead of food but then there's a slight problem. We have physical and spiritual bodies right? Your stomach and intestines still have physical funtions like breaking up the food so that it can be easily absorbed so then doesnt your organs that have physical functions suffer? Isnt it on the same lines as saying that you dont need your heart to beat and pump blood or your lungs to breath because of qi?

My family are pretty serious (some more so than others) about Christianity.

When my older step cousin (my fathers brother was not his father - I think this is the right term) was having alot of problems - alcoholism, going in and out of jail, etc - My grandfather fasted and prayed for 40 days and nights for him.

I was pretty young when it happened (elementary school) but can remember it pretty well.

Most of the time he just layed in bed, and the family urged him to stop (my grandmother was a nurse).

I am pretty sure that it wasn't so good for him, and I know that he was VERY weak and thin after it was over and it took months for his body to recover.

That being said - any attempts to disuade him were pretty much in vain. He had this sort of life changing experience in his 60's, being "slain in the spirit", and all of that and pretty much led the rest of the family into die hard Christianity.

But . . . He was (rip) seriously, SERIOUSLY hard as nails, and VERY healthy to start out with. Here's a picture of him well into his 60's:

cemenukuber.jpg

He was a competitive bodybuilder into his late years, and during world war 2 the new york times ran an article with his photo where the army intake medics said he was the MOST physically fit man in the entire US army.

I would love to become a breatharian just to be able to quit pooping. Lol, I really despise pooping.

I have to admit, there have been many times that I felt no need to engage in eating, but I usually ate because I thought that I was supposed to. I'm certain that I would have ended up hungry eventually though, but in some cases it seemed like I accidentally stumbled into getting a 'taste' of what it's like to be a breatharian.

These random times when I really don't think I need to eat often occure when I'm having some success with connecting my internal system in my body to the external universe, rather than just focusing on my body/mind/spirit/qi alone. Not always the case though.

In any case, the distance between me and becoming a true breatharian is long enough that I had better pack a lunch ;)

I would imagine if you had both acquired enough Jing and repaired your leaks, breatharianism could then be a possibility.

I worked evenings one summer and spend the afternoons stretching, meditating and reading in the park. Generally in direct sun for hours on end. The odd thing was, I never burned and never really got tan. In the process of stretching, I would just tune my mind, body, and breath all on the same wavelength and let the process work. Tension would disappear. When I started stretching in the sun, at first the sun was hot, but again, just tuning my mind and breathing into it, the heat dissipated. With my eyes closed I felt like my body was translucent. Stretching, only the small area of tension had form, and the sun shined right on it, melting it away like ice.

It was important to drink plenty of water and eat very little food to make things work right. Though I did some times crave green vegetables and ate them in due course. My body felt light, strong, warm, and clean and continued to after the summer ended and I no longer had time to stretch.. right up until thanksgiving, when I got drunk on red wine and proceeded to gorge myself like a prize pig.

There's a short sentence from the Yellow Emperor's Internal Classic:

逆于生乐

From going against dao, we derive entertainment.

---------

I would love to become a breatharian just to be able to quit pooping. Lol, I really despise pooping.

Have you tried squat pooping? Might turn you around on the issue.

Immortals aside, long fasting cannot be good for you physically right? Spiritually I can see how you can gain insight from long fasting but I mean it's not something your average joe should do. I'd think that it would take a real, REAL undestanding of the body and qi for you not to degrade physically

Immortals aside, long fasting cannot be good for you physically right? Spiritually I can see how you can gain insight from long fasting but I mean it's not something your average joe should do. I'd think that it would take a real, REAL undestanding of the body and qi for you not to degrade physically

Why not? If I was less active I would probably stop eating. No need for it, is chi what nourishes us and the one you absorb from the food is very raw, hard to process.

Read this info about that Indian sadhu I mentioned in my first post:

http://www.amazingabilities.com/amaze5a.html

For instance, after practicing Bagua this morning I had no need to it. I just had a bit of yoghurt with peanut butter for dinner. That's it. Bagua is physical and you probably need to it more than a monk that is sitting on the floor non-stop.

Anyway I am not forcing myself into non-eating, I just eat when I am hungry and my meals are 1-2.

It's not food what we need but chi.

:)

Why not? If I was less active I would probably stop eating. No need for it, is chi what nourishes us and the one you absorb from the food is very raw, hard to process.

Read this info about that Indian sadhu I mentioned in my first post:

http://www.amazingabilities.com/amaze5a.html

For instance, after practicing Bagua this morning I had no need to it. I just had a bit of yoghurt with peanut butter for dinner. That's it. Bagua is physical and you probably need to it more than a monk that is sitting on the floor non-stop.

Anyway I am not forcing myself into non-eating, I just eat when I am hungry and my meals are 1-2.

It's not food what we need but chi.

:)

I am in no way meaning to offend anyone but I think it's safe to say that people like the man on that link are few and far between. John Chang's and guys like the "goddess" in the link above and like the Iceman arent on every street corner. I've yet to meet anyone who doesnt need to eat because they can just absorb chi, not saying they arent out there just saying it's an ability that I dont think is easily obtained.

Sign in to follow this