Sign in to follow this  
.broken.

Becoming a psychopomp

In cultures all over the world there are beings who guide the newly deceased safely to their destination, whatsoever that may be. I know that some humans are called to the same path.

Is any one here experienced with guiding the dead to places? What spiritual practices can loved ones perform to help those on their last legs?

Yours humbly,

James

Guest artform

In cultures all over the world there are beings who guide the newly deceased safely to their destination, whatsoever that may be. I know that some humans are called to the same path.

Is any one here experienced with guiding the dead to places? What spiritual practices can loved ones perform to help those on their last legs?

Yours humbly,

James

IMHO, I think this at least relates to your last question... Http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=77446

from that narrative...

<<<Soon she was transferred to a palliative care ward. It was cramped and noisy; restless and uncomfortable for her initially. That evening she manifested many symptoms and several nurses and her doctor attended. My brother and his partner and my wife and I were there. At some point she escalated into severe coughing, mucus, and cramping; sitting up rapidly and falling back repeatedly.

My brother and I were on either side of her bed at this point and the nurses and doctor standing by, not having any particular diagnosis or treatment at that moment. My brother and I were each holding an opposite hand and elbow of our mother through this sitting up / falling back in an effort to cushion and stabilize her motion, while talking to her to comfort and elicit her reports of what was the problem /what was it she needed.

Both of us began to feel a great sense of heat/energy/scintillations in our hands, going deeper and deeper and rising in power. With this she relaxed and remained resting for a few moments and the nurses took over again.>>>

I have no doubt from that experience we were doing what we could to assist and communicate while she was attempting to leave. That lifeforce projection by her, for I cannot think it was anything but powerful intention driving it, was her first effort. A very determined and self-assured person, she had come very close to dying from a childhood disease when she was about six years of age.

<<<As she was able to relax after this episode, but not having died then as seemed to be where things were headed that evening, she then slipped any medication out the side of her mouth and never ate or drank again, but agreed to me, my brother or our partners swabbing her mouth with a moisturizing gel. Fortunately she was able to be transferred to a private palliative care suite and lived relaxed, in and out of conscious lucid dream states talking but not in clear words to those in the dreams, and to us simultaneously for several days before going into a sleep/brief-waking/sleep cycles and then into a coma, until after my brother returned from a long-planned trip with his son, of about ten days.>>>

Throughout this period, I was there daily and other family and the family minister visited from time to time. She cheerfully conversed with us and gradually also with her ethereal visitors, but in increasingly garbled speak as her vocal tract was drying and diminishing. Yet she continued to find meaning in our interchanges and joy. I brushed her hair regularly, which was one her great comforts. Through a period into the sleep to coma phase, she expressed discomfort and small doses of morphine alleviated that pain and through this virtually all talking stopped. I sang old favourite songs and hymns of hers. Occasionally she seemed to try to smile or hum...

<<<The next day with both my brother and I in her room with her, and after days of no movement and coma, she stirred, lifted her head the little she could and worked her desiccated mouth as best she could, determined to articulate what we heard as: "Thank you...", with the attempt at a smile as far as her body could then do that, and left her body then and there.>>>

We talked and sang to her gently through this until she came out of the coma briefly. We hugged her and kissed her and brushed her hair again as she was leaving and assured her we would be alright. "Everything that can be done will be done.", I said and looking into her eyes you could see her peace. It was an honour and a privilege to be able to be there throughout.

all the best to you

artform

Edited by artform

Yours humbly,

James

As far as I know the Tibetans have developed a system specifically for guiding people in the process of dying. I can recommend a book by Sogyal Rinpoche "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying".

artform, I wish to thank you wholeheartedly for sharing your experience. I can understand why your mother thanked both you and your brother, I also think you may've helped in more ways than we can know. I can honestly say that I never read your story in the other thread, which you seem to claim I started, and I had great pleasure in reading it.

Such experiences of others are what I find inspirational. To use a modern turn of phrase, you don't just talk the talk, but you walk the walk. Love brings us to do extraordinary things, yet these things are done not for admiration or to fuel the ego, but selflessly and as a matter of course.

My question was more about the esoteric side of guiding the newly deceased. Guiding them like an angel, to use Christian terms, to their destination. However, I was asking after this in self interest - to further my own knowledge. Your story made me realise that such knowledge is not necessary for there is so much that we can achieve on this plane of existence, without travelling to others.

Mind if I ask you a question? When you think about your mother's passing, do you smile in knowing that she passed so willingly and with those she loves around her?

Thank you very much for the book recommendation Spiritual_Aspirant. Just found a 2008 edition on Amazon UK and have feverishly added it to my 5 page long wish list :lol:

May love light our paths,

James

Edited by .broken.

Sogyal Rinpoche's book is well worth the read. Here's a link to one of his student's spiritual care site giving practices for the dying or recently died that anyone can do:

Essential Phowa

Medicine Buddha practice is also good for the recently deceased as is Shitro (the practice of the hundred peaceful and wrathful deities). Shitro though requires transmission before practice.

Edited by rex

Yours humbly,

James

If you have questions, you can pm me if you like, Boken. am born the same. Most don't "become" but already are, though not always. The best thing one can do is just stay present. Anyone who does psychopomp work will have their own way of doing things, no two folks the same way. Otherwise it just get's into playing with hearsay, not actual practice. And how you experience such things will be nothing like anything one could read, just the way of it.

Sorry didn't read any further than this post, but will come back to it as time allows.

Stay well,

Shon

Guest artform

artform, I wish to thank you wholeheartedly for sharing your experience. I can understand why your mother thanked both you and your brother, I also think you may've helped in more ways than we can know. I can honestly say that I never read your story in the other thread, which you seem to claim I started, and I had great pleasure in reading it.

Such experiences of others are what I find inspirational. To use a modern turn of phrase, you don't just talk the talk, but you walk the walk. Love brings us to do extraordinary things, yet these things are done not for admiration or to fuel the ego, but selflessly and as a matter of course.

My question was more about the esoteric side of guiding the newly deceased. Guiding them like an angel, to use Christian terms, to their destination. However, I was asking after this in self interest - to further my own knowledge. Your story made me realise that such knowledge is not necessary for there is so much that we can achieve on this plane of existence, without travelling to others.

Mind if I ask you a question? When you think about your mother's passing, do you smile in knowing that she passed so willingly and with those she loves around her?

Thank you very much for the book recommendation Spiritual_Aspirant. Just found a 2008 edition on Amazon UK and have feverishly added it to my 5 page long wish list :lol:

May love light our paths,

James

James, you are most welcome. Sharing this story is something that I have not done before, except recently telling two artist friends in a conversation where it was appropriate and respected too, until the post in the previous thread and yours here at The Tao Bums. I was initially reluctant, but in each case it has been received in way that more than justifies its telling from my perspective.

No, I do not mind your question. I like to approach being in this world in an open and intuitive manner, while exploring enthusiastically and observing critically along the way. Together with my mother and other relatives, we helped my blind father to complete his life's project, a publication, before his death.

Unfortunately, diseases, four rounds of infections picked up from unsanitary conditions in hospital, delayed my mother's urgently needed second surgery until her body was much further weakened. She had very specific plans for completing her own publication project before she became so ill. So, her project completion was not to be and we all lamented that loss.

As with many things in life, there are several layers such as this to any answer to your question. Yet the simple answer is, Yes. I do smile with a feeling of wonder and warm gratitude. And there is a sense of peaceful energetic, not emotional, connection as well that floats about this...

One of my wife's favourite sayings is: "Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."

Thank you and all the best with your exploration of this portion of being in the world.

Indeed, "may love light our paths",

all the best to all

artform

Edited by artform

Guest artform

If you have questions, you can pm me if you like, Boken. am born the same. Most don't "become" but already are, though not always. The best thing one can do is just stay present. Anyone who does psychopomp work will have their own way of doing things, no two folks the same way. Otherwise it just get's into playing with hearsay, not actual practice. And how you experience such things will be nothing like anything one could read, just the way of it.

Sorry didn't read any further than this post, but will come back to it as time allows.

Stay well,

Shon

I appreciate this too shontonga, particularly "just stay present". Couldn't agree more. There was/is so much going on each moment, words can only be simplistic brushstroke fragments. Thanks again.

artform

I appreciate this too shontonga, particularly "just stay present". Couldn't agree more. There was/is so much going on each moment, words can only be simplistic brushstroke fragments. Thanks again.

artform

*bow*

thank you for sharing.

artform,

Thank you so much for sharing... reminded me very much of my grandmother's passing. I could be wrong, but I believe that she has been reborn as my daughter now 8.

Shontonga,

I'm stoked we have a psychopomp on staff!! :lol:

Love that word, too.

Your pal,

Yoda

Rex, that is almost exactly what I was looking for, although be it from a slightly different approach. Very appreciative. I shall study it well and use it as and when the need arises.

Loke, thank you kindly for pointing me in the direction of a teacher. When the time comes I shall recall that name and seek out his teaching.

As with many things in life, there are several layers such as this to any answer to your question. Yet the simple answer is, Yes. I do smile with a feeling of wonder and warm gratitude. And there is a sense of peaceful energetic, not emotional, connection as well that floats about this...

That is what intuition had told me. I am so glad that you have that feeling of gratitude. I believe the dead can only truly rest when they let go of their material existence and those left behind let go of any negativity toward that person. You clearly have no negativity at all, and your mother was keen to pass. Heh, I can tell you hand on my heart that she smiles when she thinks about you too. She was graceful in life and so she is now.

Shontonga - I cannot help but feel that staying present is all-pervadingly important in all spiritual work, including that of a psychopomp. I am very grateful for you mentioning that no two methods of psychopomp work are the same... is this because everyone makes a teaching their own? Or because of something fundamentally different in the approach they take? I am very keen to hear of any experiences you are comfortable to share with regards to this.

I pray that you all go where your hearts desire,

James

Guest artform

That is what intuition had told me. I am so glad that you have that feeling of gratitude. I believe the dead can only truly rest when they let go of their material existence and those left behind let go of any negativity toward that person. You clearly have no negativity at all, and your mother was keen to pass. Heh, I can tell you hand on my heart that she smiles when she thinks about you too. She was graceful in life and so she is now.

Shontonga - I cannot help but feel that staying present is all-pervadingly important in all spiritual work, including that of a psychopomp. I am very grateful for you mentioning that no two methods of psychopomp work are the same... is this because everyone makes a teaching their own? Or because of something fundamentally different in the approach they take? I am very keen to hear of any experiences you are comfortable to share with regards to this.

I pray that you all go where your hearts desire,

James

THank you James. I am not surprised that you were correct and I agree with your belief. Her death was one in a series in the family and among friends over the last eight years. With a some other people approaching death, I have also naturally been able to participate with something of the role of psychopomp, by their choice/request. In a couple of other cases the emotional basis was not there or was quite negative, and that is life too.

I am grateful to have been able to be there for those who shared that openness about death. A friend who has explored many approaches to energies and divination asserts that I am an old soul with at least twelve eventful previous lives, something I have not really explored at all to date... Maybe my empathy, thinking, approach to death and communicative ways come from personal previous experience...

I too appreciate the references from by others here, and the resources and links. Thank again to all.

artform

Edited by artform

: )

Hi

Just got a chance to go over this thread again ...

on such a topic ... you all write with such heart.

Thank you for that.

Have actually tried to answer questions

or to post here for a few days in a row...

but no words seem to come out right.

LOL, was actually the reason i joined tb's, i think?

Wanted to use the journal section.

Thought it would be nice and anonymous!

Was havig a hard time with some of the stuff experienced,

takes a toll on this child sometimes.

Was um? Looking for a fight, i think, at the time :D

Looking for someone to tell me just how whacked i was.

Hear some unbiased opinions from folks that could care less

and didn't know me. Thought it would be a good exercise?

Lol, Did Not expect to start really enjoying the folks here the way I do!

Forming more attachments !

Have some stuff in the journal section but it's written to be a little vague.

Will put more stuff up in time, maybe.

Life has just been hectic and crazy, no time to write much lately.

If I can answer any questions am glad to,

as best I can, hard stuff for me to talk openly about.

Weird stuff.

Eaiser to talk about in person!

Thank you all, again, for writing with such heart.

Such conciousness. It is a hard subject.

but important to share stories also.

Thank you for that.

Stay well,

Shon

* Edited For WAY, FAR TO MUCH Information!

Sorry about that!... u asked for examples, hard to share, to near to home,

... so shared techniques instead. My own powers of avoidance!

Hope the answers made some sense though.

Edited by shontonga

Sign in to follow this