Sign in to follow this  
The Genuine Article

Any Taoist Teachers Here?

i was wondering if there are in fact any teachers that are members of this site. i was wondering if it would be to much to ask if someone could teach me everything there is to know about taoism and buddhism if possible. Thanks in advance

i was wondering if there are in fact any teachers that are members of this site. i was wondering if it would be to much to ask if someone could teach me everything there is to know about taoism and buddhism if possible. Thanks in advance

"To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower. To hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour."

There you go :D

Edit: by William Blake ... Giving credit where credit's due.

Edited by Stigweard

i dont think this answers my question

Actually he totally answered your question and even more, but maybe u r not ready to receive yet ........

First of all, you just set yourself up for failure. You state that you are looking for a veerrrrrryyyy good teacher. Now if someone answers that they are, you can rest assured they probably aren't. There are many great teachers here but few of them would openly come out and state that about themselves.

Secondly, it would take many many lifetimes to learn ALL that there is to know about Buddhsim and Taoism. Be realistic. Set achievable goals. You can't build a house without first laying down the foundation.

Brgds!

haha If it was as easy as posting an advert for a 'verry' good teacher, dont you think everybody would be doing it? My own two pennies (not cents, I'm English) is that in terms of taoism and buddhism, most people dont need to learn, they need to forget. You can be your own very good teacher, if you practice 'sitting and forgetting'. Just out of interest, why do you need a teacher so badly?

Edited by Teddy

i was wondering if it would be to much to ask if someone could teach me everything there is to know about taoism and buddhism if possible.

Is it too much to ask - :rolleyes: YES

Is it possible - :o NO

There you go, I answered your question.

Now then Mr Genuine Article - Are you serious?

Why don't you just ask - "what is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?"

It would be almost as easy to answer.

Craig

PS - It's nice to see that others took your question and answered it sincerely. I could not bring myself to do so.

"To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower. To hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour."

i dont think this answers my question

Actually he totally answered your question and even more, but maybe u r not ready to receive yet ........

hmhmhmh hihihihi :D is so fun i can not stop laugh, the most fun stuff i had read in this forum thanks friends hmhmhmhmh :lol:

Edited by HugoOlivaresMila

Stigweard wasn't trying to be funny, you're asking the wrong question.

On the practical side a very good, very traditional teacher who posts here is Lin. Look through his posts and send him a PM private message.

Michael

P.S. Letting him know you are the Genuine Article and that you want to learn Everything about Buddhism and Taoism is probably not the best way to approach a teacher of either tradition.

I rather suspect you're simply taking a piss (or writing an essay)... but it's interesting to think about why your request is impossible. Nobody knows everything there is to know about taoism and buddhism. Both have a ton of writing associated with them, and wide variety of oral traditions. Some are secret. Lots have been forgotten. Many claim that there are some teachings that can only be transmitted in the presence of enlightened masters. So nobody has it all. This is compounded when you think about the various practices. It takes a lifetime to develop a meditation practice, and mixing different styles profoundly alters the effects of each. So I'll never know, for example, what Vipassana meditation in the style of S.N. Goenka is really all about, unless I spent a few decades diligently practicing it and only it. And if I do that, I can't be practicing something else, so I can't deeply know about both. So, everyone just gets a fraction, a tiny fragment of the whole, no matter how learned.

This is one of those teachings that takes a while to totally sink in. Several years ago the I heard the saying "the journey is the destination" and it deeply resonated with me. Although the deeper message and real life application of the words still unfolds itself to me years later.

Thanks Stig.

First of all, you just set yourself up for failure. You state that you are looking for a veerrrrrryyyy good teacher. Now if someone answers that they are, you can rest assured they probably aren't. There are many great teachers here but few of them would openly come out and state that about themselves.

Secondly, it would take many many lifetimes to learn ALL that there is to know about Buddhsim and Taoism. Be realistic. Set achievable goals. You can't build a house without first laying down the foundation.

Brgds!

I was going to say the same thing, you said it better than I could.

A traditional Zen training typically starts with "chop wood, carry water", and that alone could last for many many years before a student would even hear a word from the zen master (teacher).

I am afraid TGA is not yet ready for a teacher yet.

Why is this question even coming up?

Better start looking for a good mechanic, or better yet, proctologist.

h

Hi there "The Genuine Article" welcome to the taobums.

To answer your question directly, there are a few teachers that post on the taobums, but many many more that do not. Its not an easy task to find a genuine teacher, its often a continuous search. But if you found a good teacher, im sure you would be more interested in learning techniques than general details about the religion. There are many excellent books on buddhism and taoism that can teach you about the religions as a whole, so whilst you are searching for a teacher, pick up a few of these books at the same time. You can always search previous threads to find the teachers who post on this site.

To the people who posted zen like koans and agressive responses to what seems like an innocent question, you should be ashamed. Like kids in a playground bullying the new comer. If a person is new to eastern religion, how are they to know if the question is overly optimistic or not? One would expect a forum full of taoist/buddhist students to be a little more understanding, a little more forgiving and a little more patient.

To the people who posted zen like koans and agressive responses to what seems like an innocent question, you should be ashamed. Like kids in a playground bullying the new comer. If a person is new to eastern religion, how are they to know if the question is overly optimistic or not? One would expect a forum full of taoist/buddhist students to be a little more understanding, a little more forgiving and a little more patient.

To my chagrin you are right :( Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I should have been more mindful of how it would have appeared to TGA. Forgive me.

I honestly didn't have the intention of any ill will ... it was just that with the enormity of his question my response seemed the most fitting. But true enough instead of being all proud of myself I should have taken a moment or two to think it through more clearly.

Humbly yours ;)

Hi there "The Genuine Article" welcome to the taobums.

Very nicely put Jakara, and i agree with you.

It is best to first at least assume that The Genuine Article is actually genuine and thereby deserving of more simple worded and easily understood advice. In which case, if i may attempt to do so, i would say to him:

If you are genuine and willing to learn from highly accomplished teaschers, then first be very patient.

Teachers of the sort you ask are not always easy to come by. But with patience and sincerity on your part, they can be found.

I know it is a clique, but there is truth to the saying that 'when the student is ready, the master appears'. This is why determination, sincerity and patience on our part is important.

In terms of online sources, for Taoism in it's most generic form, a copy of the Tao Te Ching could be read. I also like the Hua Hu Ching (available on amazon)

In regard to Buddhism, for me, the venerable master Hsuan Hua is absolutely amazing for many reasons, not the least of which is his articulate and and illistrative explanation of the teachings and practices of Buddhism.

some onlie resources are here:

http://www.drba.org/online/audio/sutra_index.asp.html

http://www.siddham.org/yuan_english/teachi...g_hsuanhua.html

http://www.dharmasite.net/Dharmawheel.htm#17

hope this is of some use.

Edited by mat black

YOU ARE THE GREATEST TEACHER OF ALL!

:)

Don't rely on others, conquer your mind and you will win the greatest war of all time.

Do what Gautama Buddha did: sit, breathe in, breathe out and let go. Do it consistently, day in and day out and you will go far.

Here's a good intro to Gautama Buddha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2NLQGrbf5U

If you have the chance practice Ba Gua. Find a teacher in your area, if you have the chance.This martial art system will develop your internal power, Nei Gong at the highest level.

And finally, read Buddhist sutras to let go of your ego and purify your mind. Here's a good source, the original teachings of the earthly Buddha:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

Another great site:

http://www.buddhanet.net/

As simple as that.

Namo Amitabha Buddha.

May all sentient beings be free from suffering and its causes.

Well Genuine,

That's quite a tall order. Taoism and Buddhism are two distinct philosophies. It would be pert near impossible to learn "everything there is to know" just about one of these traditions not to mention everything about both. Just to learn everything there is to about Taoism would not be possible. Within Taoism are many different and sometimes conflicting sects and practices. Same is true for Buddhism. If you are looking for intellectual knowledge, there are alot of books out there. But, I suspect you may have a slight misunderstanding of the purposes of both Taoism and Buddhism. These are fundamentally an experiential wisdom. So, I would recommend picking one tradition and then finding a practice within that tradition. And unfortunately the best way to learn is to focus on one practice for many years. so, just pick a practice and a teacher that speaks to you and go from there. Then the journey only begins. on the other hand, there is the scholarly/Intellectual approach. With that you can study the intellectual philosophies of both and get a pretty good overall understanding. But, I believe that people who take this approach are really missing the point. For me, Taoism starts with the energetic practice, once progress is made there, then the intellectual understandings begin to come. But, for me, the intellectual ideas without the energetic experience is useless. Eastern buddhism already has alot of Taoist principles infused in it, but taoism doesn't necessarily have buddhist ideas. So, I guess if you wanted the best of both worlds, I would try an eastern buddhist practice like Zen or Shaolin buddhism, because eventually some taoism will seep in. By the way, if you are able to learn EVERYTHING there is to know about either one of these traditions in one lifetime, I think you will be the first to do so.

my .02

Sign in to follow this