Sign in to follow this  
Spirit Ape

Looking for Kriya Yoga

All I can add is that the few I know who have been initiated, were sworn to silence upon its methods vowed to direct others straight to the 'self realization fellowship' for direct teaching.

Even its preliminary techniques blew my 3rd eye to induce an extended psychosis.. and its seeming total lack of safeguards is what lead me to other energy techniques.

Swami Kriyananda, a direct disciple of the yogi Paramahansa Yogananda, left Self Realization Fellowship and funded his own spiritual community. My feeling is that the people who run the SRF after the death of Yogonanda (who brought Kriya Yoga to the west), have turned SRF from a spiritual movement into a stiff religion not unlike Christian, very unfortunate indeed, and I am glad that at least one disciple didn't give in to that dark force and carried on the true spirit of his ancient masters.

Swami Kriyananda has a set of meditation videos that he teaches Kriya Yoga himself but not using the name Kriya Yoga, you might still be able find these videos on eMule and piratebay, they are four video files, each about one hour long, converted from old VHS tapes. It's safe to practice this modified version of Kriya Yoga, you don't need the initiation, and you are learning directly (well, sort of, by watching his teachings on tape) from a direct disciple of the yogi Paramahansa Yogananda.

Anyone have good websites and clips, downloads of Kriya yoga?

You might want to contact the folks at this site to inquire about Kriya Yoga:

http://www.kriyayogalahiri.com/index.html

You will be guaranteed reliable and correct lineage only through these folks, given that the teacher is the great-great grandson of Lahiri Mahasaya, the grandmaster of Yogananda Paramahamsa.

Edited by dwai

You might want to contact the folks at this site to inquire about Kriya Yoga:

http://www.kriyayogalahiri.com/index.html

You will be guaranteed reliable and correct lineage only through these folks, given that the teacher is the great-great grandson of Lahiri Mahasaya, the grandmaster of Yogananda Paramahamsa.

Missed this one earlier, didn't know Shri Shibendu had a website. Thanks Dwai...

He is very non-assuming, does not charge and initiates folks mostly into the first Kriya. His technique is slightly different than the one taught by SRF folks but it seems now that Lahiri Mahasaya himself taught several modifications. Incidentally, Shibendu's son Ujwal Lahiri lived next door for a while and I had the good opportunity of talking to Shibendu now and then for a few weeks. From the website it does seem that he travels and teaches actively ...

Thanks again for sharing this link :)

Edited by Siliconvalley1

My good friend teaches a internal art and was initated in Kriya Yoga and its totally F@cked his energy up and hasnt been well since. So was looking for why and what could have happened to him, as he is a teacher also of Internal Daoist art but said it was powerful but for 2-3 weeks had some serious energy problems and mental problems. Ill try and find out more!!

Ape

All I can add is that the few I know who have been initiated, were sworn to silence upon its methods vowed to direct others straight to the 'self realization fellowship' for direct teaching.

Even its preliminary techniques blew my 3rd eye to induce an extended psychosis.. and its seeming total lack of safeguards is what lead me to other energy techniques.

[/q]

Hi BigJonMud:

Kriyayogainfo.net is a terrific site with complete information on Kriya practices. I really doubt anyone would get hurt with these practices. Read Ennio's FAQ on that site about that. Nor should this information be kept secret.

"Neptune"

P.S. Sorry, I just noticed this was an old thread. I only just got here lately.

Edited by neptune
  • Like 1

Disclaimer on the said website and certainly not without a reason ...

I wish to make clear that these videos do not form a part of a Kriya manual! Certain techniques cannot simply be learned from a manual. There are delicate techniques such as Maha Mudra, Pranayama, Thokar and Yoni Mudra, which cannot reasonably be learned without the help of an expert who checks their execution. Each person is different so it is not possible to predict what effects an intensive practice might have on an individual. The author disclaims any responsibility in case of negative results, especially if one decides to practice the techniques without having their execution checked first by an expert. Those who intend to carry on with this practice should do it with a due sense of sacredness and awareness of the wealth it can bring to their life. Although you should have the right and the duty to control your own destiny, securing expert counsel or guidance is indispensable.
Edited by Siliconvalley1

Disclaimer on the said website and certainly not without a reason ...

Disclaimers! Where don't we see these on every product, for legal protection these days?

Quoting from his website text: "Knot of the Heart: An easy, safe and reliable way for unfastening this knot is Om Japa.

Ultimately, Silicon1, we all have to decide for ourselves, as to what to do and what risks to take, and whether to clear away the cobwebs or not. You'll never know if you don't try.

Speaking for myself, as a free lance practitioner of all the kriya yoga practices, the journey has been wonderful, there is absolutely nothing to fear, and I have never regretted it.

On the other hand if a person is just starting out with these kind of practices, go find a teacher if you want, and if you can find someone qualified without paying alot of money and being treated like a slave.

Or alternatively, just work on your Heart with those practices. There is no risk in doing that part of the practice, for even the person who is neurotically unhappy.

Edited by neptune

Disclaimers! Where don't we see these on every product, for legal protection these days?

Quoting from his website text: "Knot of the Heart: An easy, safe and reliable way for unfastening this knot is Om Japa.

Ultimately, Silicon1, we all have to decide for ourselves, as to what to do and what risks to take, and whether to clear away the cobwebs or not. You'll never know if you don't try.

Speaking for myself, as a free lance practitioner of all the kriya yoga practices, the journey has been wonderful, there is absolutely nothing to fear, and I have never regretted it.

On the other hand if a person is just starting out with these kind of practices, go find a teacher if you want, and if you can find someone qualified without paying alot of money and being treated like a slave.

Or alternatively, just work on your Heart with those practices. There is no risk in doing that part of the practice, for even the person who is neurotically unhappy.

If you find a "GOOD" teacher, you will not be treated like a "slave". Any way, no one can treat you like a slave unless you agree to be treated like one.

I think you have a very wrong understanding of the Guru-Shishya parampara (this is a disease very common with Westerners imho). A Guru is a dispeller of darkness (root word "Gu" literally means filth or darkness -- in vernacular (indian) it also means shit).

The problem with Neo-yogi wannabes is that they elevate just about anyone to Guru status (and then when these "gurus" can't live up to their disciple's imaginary Guru-like qualities, get vilified). Finding a Guru can be either an extremely easy task or one waits a lifetime to find a true Guru. Also it must be realized that Gurus are human also.

Hi Dwai: Do you have a guru,... or a teacher? Who is that? Do you live in India?

Edited by neptune

If you find a "GOOD" teacher, you will not be treated like a "slave". Any way, no one can treat you like a slave unless you agree to be treated like one.

I think you have a very wrong understanding of the Guru-Shishya parampara (this is a disease very common with Westerners imho). A Guru is a dispeller of darkness (root word "Gu" literally means filth or darkness -- in vernacular (indian) it also means shit).

The problem with Neo-yogi wannabes is that they elevate just about anyone to Guru status (and then when these "gurus" can't live up to their disciple's imaginary Guru-like qualities, get vilified). Finding a Guru can be either an extremely easy task or one waits a lifetime to find a true Guru. Also it must be realized that Gurus are human also.

Using the term "slave" was an exaggeration on my part. The entire topic of gurus and guru worshop is complex.

From the perspective of Western societies, there have been too many gurus who have travelled here, and exploited their followers sexually and otherwise, and this makes gurus in saffron robes or dautis, appear to be enterprising con men until proven otherwise.

Secondly, the idea that a person even needs a guru is a presumption that may not be valid(in contradistinction to a meditation teacher). After all, The Buddha himself gave this advice: "Light your own lamp."

Lastly, your expression "neo-yogi wannabes" is condescending and insulting. Don't get all worked up over nothing.

Sign in to follow this