Gunpowder Green

Taoist Five Thunder Palms

Hello all,

There are so many qigong forms and sets out there! It is pretty incredible to think about. I have noticed that each qigong master seems to have there own favorites which are mentioned often. For example, Wen Mei Yu cites the Buddhist Wei Tuo Qigong and the Five Thunder Palms (which sounds like a Wu Tang Kung Fu movie series or a Shaw Brothers release) along with the popular Da Yan Wild Goose Qigong which she is famous for. BK Frantzis seems to focus on other groups such as Gods Playing in the Clouds Qigong or Dragon and Tiger Qigong...

I suppose my question would be how does one find more information on these more obscure and rare sets of qigong? Some are more easy to find such as Da Yan or the Ba Duan Jin but I am interested in the unusual and hardly seen forms. Is there a good website or blogspot one could refer me to for references?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Robert,

I responded to your private message, its great to meet you. As to qigong methods, a friend and I were standing in San Min Bookstore in Taipei about a week back. And he and I were talking about the hundreds of different qigong programs. For example at San Min Bookstore, there are three large bookstore bookcases filled with martial arts books. And right alongside is another solidly packed three bookcases with qigong books, some from here in Taiwan, some from China.

Of course to show you what really interest the Taiwanese, right next to the qigong shelves is 6 (six!) very large sets of shelves dedicated to...............a million forms of fortune telling!

take care,

Brian

Guest artform

Hello all,

There are so many qigong forms and sets out there! It is pretty incredible to think about. I have noticed that each qigong master seems to have there own favorites which are mentioned often. For example, Wen Mei Yu cites the Buddhist Wei Tuo Qigong and the Five Thunder Palms (which sounds like a Wu Tang Kung Fu movie series or a Shaw Brothers release) along with the popular Da Yan Wild Goose Qigong which she is famous for. BK Frantzis seems to focus on other groups such as Gods Playing in the Clouds Qigong or Dragon and Tiger Qigong...

I suppose my question would be how does one find more information on these more obscure and rare sets of qigong? Some are more easy to find such as Da Yan or the Ba Duan Jin but I am interested in the unusual and hardly seen forms. Is there a good website or blogspot one could refer me to for references?

Thanks,

Rob

I too am curious if there is any kind of "Atlas/Dictionary of Qi Gong Practices" enabling one to see these in some sort of relationship to each other...

Any ideas/references will be much appreciated.

artform

Edited by artform

A good book with the longest title:

Qigong Empowerment: A Guide to Medical, Taoist, Buddhist, Wushu Energy Cultivation

by Shou-Yu Liang and Wen-Ching Wu

Liang was considered one of the five tigers of China, or top martial artists.

Qigong Empowerment: A Guide to Medical, Taoist, Buddhist, Wushu Energy Cultivation

Thanks for all the input fellas!

I could spend my whole life researching various qigong methods! Probably best to just use that time sitting in ma bu!

- Rob

do you know who the other 4 tigers are?