Gunpowder Green

The Bao Shu posture

Hello all,

Just curious if anyone knows where this standing posture originates from?

I learned it in Yiquan but I know that Wang Xiang Zhai also studied Taiji and White Crane along with Xingyi and most likely other arts as well. It seems to be the most common and comprehensive qigong posture found in all kinds of sets. Whether it is called bao shu "embrace the tree", hunyuan, ball holding, or barrel holding, I see it all over.

From a health prespective I have heard that the acu points of the hands and center torso are in alignment when doing this posture and from a martial perspective it can be used to help strengthen the tendons and ligaments and stretch the joints. The position also looks like it can be a peng, "ward off" or guo "wrapping" energy.

Any other thoughts or answers?

- Rob

Hello all,

The position also looks like it can be a peng, "ward off" or guo "wrapping" energy.

Any other thoughts or answers?

Hi,

No other thoughts, or answers, but a question: ;)

Are there specific "peng" and also "guo" exersises one could learn about?

And if so, can you or anyone give any general or specific pointers, tips and recommendations?

innergy

Hi,

No other thoughts, or answers, but a question: ;)

Are there specific "peng" and also "guo" exersises one could learn about?

And if so, can you or anyone give any general or specific pointers, tips and recommendations?

innergy

In my experience the best 'exercises' are to be found in the various Tui Shou (push hands) drills.