Teddy

Five element Zhan Zhuang

Do Zhan Zhuang postures correspond to the five elements? My current understanding is that that 'holding ball' arms in a circle at chest level that loads of people practice combines all of the postures in one. But it also relates to the lungs and metal element. What I am curious about, is if that famous 'arms in a circle' pose combines all the other health postures, then why bother practicing the other ones seperately, or doing a sequence. I know that the hands at he level of face connects your chi with heavenly chi (fire element maybe), and I can guess a few things about other postures, but does anyone know for sure what the specific effects of different postures are?

Edited by Teddy

If you continue to practice you surely will find the answer from experiencing different postures. I know your curious mind might be thinking and wanting to know before you practice which is always nice. But if you practice itself will reveal the answer. Which will always be much better answer then words can describe alone.

my experience is only with the health stance you mentioned, big step, and dragon stance. I've noticed that the big step is a far better grounding stance than the health stance, blood and qi quickly plummet down into the feet after getting out of posture. Big step and dragon stance also show you different, new, and unknown muscles to feel, which will sensitize you to qi flow in the given areas. In terms of qi, I believe the different postures focus on different meridian and energy lines. The last sentence is only speculation, but I believe it has merit. I'm interested in the relationship to the elements you mentioned, if you find out something please post it.

To understand about 5 element theory, how it relates to meridian theory, and the types of qigong developed to stimulate them, you need to study Traditional Chinese Medicine. Lots and lots of books out there, even some devoted to 5 element theory alone...

You might want to look into "Shaolin Nei Jing Gong" training, this is just a general name for it . They have taken the TCM theories of the 5 elements and energy cultivation to a very deep level which eventually leads to mastery of your 5 element energies apparently.This training involves many stages, first one normally being Louhan/Arhat stance training, then finger bending while in a certain posture which activates and opens all of the meridian channels brings the body to a state of perfect health then (Kong Jing) , creates a state of emptinesss from which true energy arises

This is a really great system :)

• Like 2

You might want to look into "Shaolin Nei Jing Gong" training, this is just a general name for it . They have taken the TCM theories of the 5 elements and energy cultivation to a very deep level which eventually leads to mastery of your 5 element energies apparently.This training involves many stages, first one normally being Louhan/Arhat stance training, then finger bending while in a certain posture which activates and opens all of the meridian channels brings the body to a state of perfect health then (Kong Jing) , creates a state of emptinesss from which true energy arises

This is a really great system :)

I read a little bit about this system and am very interested. Are there any good books or dvds on this system?

Do Zhan Zhuang postures correspond to the five elements?

My experience is more of the connective tissue continuum (fascia tendon ligament bone), the centers, and acupoints~meridians (sometimes, if I've been working on them). I don't feel like a certain organ comes into play especially.

... though I know there are movement qi gongs that emphasize different organs.

There is no such thing as 5 Element standing practice just B.S people create to make more money. You will recieve energy and it will go throughout the body and to all organs it has to dont believe the hype.

Ape

Master Lam's book, the Way of Energy, has a set of 5 standing postures which relate to the 5 elements. Can't remember them off the top of my head but it's certainly a nice set - I practiced it for some months way back.

Yours humbly,

James

There is no such thing as 5 Element standing practice just B.S people create to make more money. You will recieve energy and it will go throughout the body and to all organs it has to dont believe the hype.

Ape

SA arent you a supporter of max and kunlun?

So would your veiw on this also apply to what max is teaching as Mao Shan 5 element standing? that its BS and was created only to make money?:P

Edited by qijack

Im a suporter of the spontaneous formless movement and if you understand his 1st book it says the level 1 will open up all the 72,000 nadis so no need for 5 elements. Even Wuji standing will bring all chi around he body, there are people that dont do any exercise or chi kung (5 elements) or worry about that theory and live longer then people with all the theories there is no guarentee in anything you do. Even Kunlun just enjoy the ride and let go this will be better then standing hoping that you are opening, clearing and connecting to metal, water etc.

hello teddy!

very interesting topic! the five elements chi kung does exist. i was lucky to see a quite impressive demonstration of this chi kung method during a workshop of sifu lam (lam kam chuen) this summer in germany . he used this technique to concentrate the energy of groups of five people who held the different postures for the five elements. this energy was transmitted to one of the members of the group (people who felt bad or were ill) . the people who practised this stood in a circle, the person who received the energy sat in the middle of the circle.

this was really impressive - and it worked! and this technique can be practised on a higher level, too.

if you are really interested in this stuff i would humbly recommend to look for a teacher who was trained by lam kam chuen or by one of the trainers that he instructed. his books are very interesting, too. but as you surely know: a book can`t replace a teacher!

greetings from germany

sirius

that was definitely no placebo effect. that was the experience of more than thirty workshop members. and everybody who really wants to find out the truth about it can make the experience, too.

Placebo effect!

Althought I don't agree in this case, tricking the mind is the easiest way to heal the body. Embrace it.

Edited by .broken.

Althought I don't agree in this case, tricking the mind is the easiest way to heal the body. Embrace it.

I read an interesting article about this google Ramachandran mirror box phantom, and you will see the ingenious optical illusion he used to free the mind from its rigid constructs.