Duifang

Hello from North Idaho

Hello All,

I began studying Taijichuan about four years ago. I initially wandered into Taiji looking for a means to deal with chronic back pain. Since then I have embraced the art as a spirtual, health and martial practice. The practical and spiritual depth of Taiji is truly remarkable.

My study of Taiji has led me to Taoist philosophy. I have found a deep resonance between basic Taoist ideas and the personal spirtual system which has grown and evolved over the course of my life. I disdain religion and I have absolutely no desire to become a religious Taoist. Nevertheless, I want to learn more about Taoism and Taoist philosophy. I have been very much taken by that deep resonance. And I especially want to learn more about Taoist practices which are related to my Taijichuan.

If asked about my spirtitual system I have no -ism to offer. Before I discovered Taoist philosophy I knew that I did not want to give a name or a label to my beliefs. My study of Taoist philosophy has validated my position on this. This can make for awkward conversations, when the subject arises, particularly with rank-and-file Christians (or other children of Abraham). However, in this forum, I suspect I will be forgiven this failing.

Namaste.

-Mark-

...I initially wandered into Taiji looking for a means to deal with chronic back pain. Since then I have embraced the art as a spirtual, health and martial practice.
Inspiring.
... I have no -ism to offer. ... This can make for awkward conversations...
I can relate. :rolleyes:

Closest I've come is to go for (very nerdy) humor, "Fundamental Non-Sectarianism". :D

Welcome.

Trunk

Hi Mark,

I too came to an interest in Daoism through the study of Taijiquan.

After a few years of Taijiquan, my teacher suggested that a study of Daoist meditaiton would facilitate further progress in Taiji. I began practicing Daoist meditation but have no interest in the rituals and religious conventions of Daoism.

Like you, I do not subscribe to any "-ism" as a belief system.

Nevertheless, I've found that all religions are founded on fundamental truths that transcend politics and cultural bias. All contain beautiful gems mired in human waste. Osho said it best for me when he said something like - true religion is an individual's internal search for their connection with the truth, everything else is politics.

Welcome to Tao Bums - I think you'll fit in well here.

Thanks Trunk and Steve for the welcome.

I'm pretty excited about this place. I haven't quite dived in yet, but I have waded around in the Taoist discussion and have already learned a very useful, new (for me) metaphor for what chi is. I also wandered into "The Pit". (Interesting...)

I expect to learn a lot. In fact I also stumbled over a cautionary essay about "semen retention" something I had never even heard of before. I think it was by you, Trunk. It was at http://www.alchemicaltaoism.com/.

What a place!

-Mark-

Organized/institutional religions hijacked the spiritual philosophies and use them as tools for mass control, anything that later become -ism, is in bad hands, is to be stay away from. Their weapon of choice is FEAR, followed by mass murder and torture, if they feel their control and power is threatened, just look at the history of all major religions and one can see that this to be the case.

It is too sad that so many people (those who are so called "religious people") couldn't see this simple truth.