ToL

Learning Baguazhang

I'm interested for a long time to learn Baguazhang, but I have not found any teacher where I live.

Is it possible to learn Baguazhang from a DVD? Does anyone know a good DVD to learn from?

How about this one?

Baguazhang - 8 Trigrams Palm

Thanks,

ToL

I know that in taichi (another internal martial art) the form is useless if you dont convert your chi into internal power.

You could try standing poles meditation (basically standing meditation, or stance training)

The new kunlun book has 5 elements qigong and i jong which provides 6 standing postures for internal power and cleansing.

ive started using ken kohens healing qigong dvds.

it has the tree posture, snake standing, and one finger zen ( consists of a standing position held twice then some movements to help project the qi)

Remember the goal is to develop qi not leg muscles in these postures. So only hold it for as long as your not straining.

I know that in taichi (another internal martial art) the form is useless if you dont convert your chi into internal power.

You could try standing poles meditation (basically standing meditation, or stance training)

The new kunlun book has 5 elements qigong and i jong which provides 6 standing postures for internal power and cleansing.

ive started using ken kohens healing qigong dvds.

it has the tree posture, snake standing, and one finger zen ( consists of a standing position held twice then some movements to help project the qi)

Remember the goal is to develop qi not leg muscles in these postures. So only hold it for as long as your not straining.

I practice I-Jong and the 5 elements, wich I really love, but the thing is that I feel that I need to add more moving into my practices, and Bagua sounds a great practice.

ToL, I've seen a number of good reviews of the bagua DVDs by Ted Mancuso. I haven't seen the DVDs personally, but I'm thinking about getting them. They're listed on this page (and I think in Amazon too):

DVD Ba Gua Kung Fu assorted

That being said, it was my experience that trying to learn tai chi from a video was extremely difficult. You need a live teacher. And since bagua is faster moving and even more complex, it may be virtually impossible to learn from a video.

I agree with phore that it is possible to learn simpler qigong forms from a video, as you won't have all the fancy footwork and changes of direction to deal with. You won't get the same transmission as you would in person though (or get answers to your questions). Good luck!

No don't try and teach yourself bagua, you can really hurt yourself.

It's essential to learn the correct stances and way to walk without blowing out your knees, and for that you really really need a good teacher.

If you don't have any bagua teachers where you live, find a hsing-I or tai chi teacher and learn one or both first... You need to practice for about 10 years to get a good foundation down, anyway...

I'm interested for a long time to learn Baguazhang, but I have not found any teacher where I live.

Is it possible to learn Baguazhang from a DVD? Does anyone know a good DVD to learn from?

How about this one?

Baguazhang - 8 Trigrams Palm

Thanks,

ToL

No sorry you need a teacher. No videos will ever show you the subtle footwork and palm changes. Please stop here because if you start making mistakes then you create a bad habit that will be detrimental to your progress.

Good luck.

Namo Amitabha.

I think that the subtelty and complexity of Bagua would make it impossible to learn from anything other than a good teacher. Poor practice could cause injury to your knees and back. Be careful.

More than either Hsing I or T'ai Chi, Ba Gua demands a teacher. Besides blowing out your knees, there are simply too many subtlties that simply cannot be transmitted through a book or video. Personally, I have spent ten years walking the circle under the guidance of a Ba Gua master and am still learning its complexities.

I dont have the dvds all I have is the book and I find the book alittle hard to understand sometimes but all in all it is a good buy. I would first buy the book then the dvds if you are still interested.