Sign in to follow this  
mantis

end of the world in 5 days?

Don't worry, we're already supposed to be vanishing out of existence at any time...

http://futurismic.com/2007/11/22/oops-our-...have-doomed-it/

I kind of wish scientists would be more careful about these things but hey, we may have already vanished and changed and rearranged a million times and don't realize it.

If the LHC does kill us all it will be a Thursday.

peace + love

Chris

If it does end, it'll end so quickly we won't have time to grasp the notion that this is our time. If it doesn't end I remain pessimistic that they will receive the results they were after and have to go back to the drawing board.

Ho hum :P

Edited by .broken.

I think the scientific community could've done a lot better job of explaining the potentials of what they're trying to do. There are a lot of people who are against this experiment for many many reasons (political, religious, business, etc.) which may have driven some of the fears. Other factors are when someone says "they're going to make a blackhole in a lab" everyone pictures what they've seen on tv or science class of planets falling into blackness... sure if the black hole is bigger than planets.

The particle collisions are enormously tiny, much much smaller than the components of atoms. I wish I had all the data with me here but I don't, I'm at work. But if you're really interested, this site has the facts:

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/LHC/Safety-en.html

Long story short, the size of what they're trying to create is much much smaller than the size of an atom. The force of impact given the low mass of the partiles is the same as two mosquitos coliding together. Might not seem like much, but at the scale we're talking that's HUGE for somethign that is smaller than an atom.

Unfortunately we'll still have to go to work after this one is done... bummer!

EDIT: Here's anothersite that isn't published by CERN - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_of_the...Hadron_Collider

EDIT 2: The article is wrong on the number of known dimensions. There are anywhere from 10-12 depending on how you define them. Yeah I'm a nerd =) Here's a cool article on 10 dimensions (4 of which are percievable). I love that there are things in science that we can't observe with our senses... eventually I think science and Truth may meet.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/dimensions.html

Edited by Unconditioned

If were lucky only France will disappear......... KIDDING! KIDDING!

:lol:

There are always positive aspects to all eventualities. Don't have to do the laundry for one.

Don't worry, we're already supposed to be vanishing out of existence at any time...

http://futurismic.com/2007/11/22/oops-our-...have-doomed-it/

I kind of wish scientists would be more careful about these things but hey, we may have already vanished and changed and rearranged a million times and don't realize it.

If the LHC does kill us all it will be a Thursday.

peace + love

Chris

WHOOHOO!

I'LL BE IN AZ.!

WHAT A PLACE TO DIE!

Or live?

either way I guess?

:D

Just read this.

"Unfortunately we'll still have to go to work after this one is done... bummer!"

Awwmannnn. :huh:

Have fun!

Edited by shontonga

Ha, Darin.

I was thinking - oooooh, I could eat as much ice cream as I like!

I thought the world ended back in 2000? Y2K bug remember? :blink:

WHOOHOO!

I'LL BE IN AZ.!

WHAT A PLACE TO DIE!

Or live?

either way I guess?

:D

Are you going out this way Shon? I'll be in San Diego this coming week.

AZ is a good place to die, still up in the air about living. Actually, AZ is a wonderful place, we kind of let Phoenix get out of hand though.

Are you going out this way Shon? I'll be in San Diego this coming week.

AZ is a good place to die, still up in the air about living. Actually, AZ is a wonderful place, we kind of let Phoenix get out of hand though.

Ooo.

Had been to phoenix.

Scary.

The parts I accidentally ended up in anyway!

... told there's nice parts but not interested in finding out now!

Don't know where I was but Knew I did Not want to be there.

(No offense intended by that!)

Will be up in Sedona 10-17th : )

Get together with a group of friends up there.

Do some tai chi workshops.

It's a yearly get thing they do,

been going on 15 or more years, I think?

I've only been a couple times though.

Can't wait!!!

Push hands heaven!

Have fun in San Diego!

Hope You get to do some good things while your there!

Shon

Yes. agree about the living thing,

LOL,

it Is a good thing!

Edited by shontonga

If George Bush couldn't destroy the world in 8 years, CERN doesn't scare me one bit...

Amen. Besides, the world isn't supposed to end for another four years or so, remember? :P I'm just going to do whatever I can do for now and let the end come if it does. That's all anyone can do, really, except for maybe Max, who could just shift into Golden Dragon Body at the last second :D (no slam on Kunlun intended here, just joking around)

Micro black-holes (laya centers) and universes (monads) naturally come and go all the time. Sometimes you can see them as little red, white and blue sparks. Time and space are relative so we are a tiny spark in some greater universe/multiverse. Anyway things tend to unfold naturally so if we have a lesson to learn it will be as inevitable as the sun rising or our bodies ageing.

The 'Sun' newspaper doesn't really carry any credibility and is something of a joke here in the UK.

Edited by Patrick Brown

I'm always looking for reasons for a good END OF THE WORLD parties. This Thursday huh, time to call some friends.

Michael

black holes are theorized to evaporate via a process called hawking radiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

micro singularities evaporate almost instantly

However, Hawking radiation is a theory, it has never been observed, and phenomena it predicts have not been empirically verified. Unlike Einstein's relativity theory, which yields observable phenomena. And which predicts stable, growing black holes.

There will be no immediate end of the world if these occur. The black holes might indeed be too small to notice. They will have grown bigger in four years, however. Or in four billion years. The thing is, no one knows. Safety to life on Earth is not a priority to any of our scientific projects.

When the Challenger was headed for disaster, many scientists were saying so, saying it was not safe to launch it at the stage the project was, and they were called paranoid and overruled. Oh, and the Chernobyl reactor was supposed to be safe, and what happened was not part of the calculations. Events just have this annoying ability to ignore theoretical safety assumptions.

It's not about whether the end of the world will be brought on by this specific bit of science. It's about all of it working in that general direction. In five days, five years, or fifty -- that's something no one knows. Y2K or particle accelerator or a weaponized virus or the nuclear tests or the nuclear war -- who knows. But there's too many happy little kids playing with too many big-ass matches all at once. Whoever guarantees they won't set anything on fire is living in a dream world, Neo.

But there's too many happy little kids playing with too many big-ass matches all at once. Whoever guarantees they won't set anything on fire is living in a dream world, Neo.

Seems like no one here was saying that all Science is guaranteed safe. Given the history of technological accidents, that seems like a silly position to take. But the title of the thread is "end of the world in 5 days?" That's a whole different kettle of fish, particularly regarding the LHC.

http://www.risk-evaluation-forum.org/anon6.htm

So the Inuit and Polar Bear are already collecting dangerous levels of radioactive fallout from the "safe" nuclear power plants....and the Russians have already reported physical damage from the preliminary CERN tests....and so science goes, the rape of Mother Nature but the Cosmic Mother will take revenge and truth will remain UNVEILED.

Im glad most people are taking this with a pinch of salt :-) It is of course absolute nonsense. Could it be fear mongering by the media in order to sell papers? Surely not :-)

Thanks Patrick for pointing out how much of a joke "The Sun" is in the UK. It truly is scraping the barrel of journalism, if you can even call it that.

Its pretty horrendous to know scientists are receiving "death threats" over this. Sometimes I cant believe how many morons inhabit the world. That being said, better communication between the scientific community and the general public would be nice. We should note that taking what one rogue scientist says is never going to be the opinion of the community in general.

Sign in to follow this