Sign in to follow this  
Pranaman

starting to see standing for what it is

Standing is proving to have a good impact on me. I now partially understand it, and rooting. Most of my recognition of it has come from the effects of the rooting it invisibly creates, the sense of security. Most of the understanding has come from BK Frantzis' book Power Of Internal Martial Arts.

Anyway I do:

10mins Horse

10mins left Big Step

10mins right Big Step

20mins Health

a measly 1minute of Dragon Stance per side.

soon the Chen form will be after this, and the Dragon Stance will be earlier in the set.

Then their will be the drills learned in class.

I'm adding up to thirty seconds a day per stance till hours and hours are do-able.

What's the difference between San Ti and Zhan Zhuang and Yiquan's Standing? which is which?

Zhan Zhuang just refers to standing and can be any posture.

Yi Quan incorporates many different postures.

San Ti iSh is the primary standing posture used in Xing Yi Quan.

The back foot is open ~ 45 - 60 degrees. The front toe points forward.

The front hand index fingertip is directly in front of the nose and directly over the front large toe.

The rear hand is palm down with the thumb pointing at dan tian. 70% of the weight is on the back foot and the both knees are bent. At least that's how I practice San Ti Shi. You start with maybe 5 minutes per day and work up to 30 minutes per side per day. It's most important to understand song and relax the shoulders without collapsing the arms.

Here's a video I just stumbled on that looks pretty close to how I practice.

BMlDi7h0viM&feature=related

Universal Post, Pile Standing (Zhan Zhuang) hugging a tree balances and connects the top bottom left right into a whole unit. Trinity Postures bring the four halfs into dynamic interplay through 45's, 60's, 90's.

Does the Dragon Stance cross the legs over and squat?

Thx

Edited by Spectrum

Dragon Stance

But Sifu Fong says the perfect way to do it is with your torso sitting on the knee and thigh, and in a completely straight line with your back leg.

That is correct. 100% loading on the rear foot makes your other foot free to step. It is essential for no double weightedness.

You never want to reach 100% loading in push but it trains you for the times where you get caught out and you are able to be comfortable in it and still issue.

Enjoy your practice

mouse

I think you meant to say front foot. no intention to correct but just in case somebody tries the practice just from reading this thread.

different dragon stance than my teacher teaches me. A quick search in google images showed about three different postures called Dragon Stance.

suggestion,

would be good if every time we speak about standing we add a jpg with the image of the position. Positions are quite important and they tend to change from one school to the other quite drammatically.

In fact we should have a whole section in the gallery with the different positions. Where everybody can add their position or refer to those positions.

10mins of "Big Step"

4pbigstephigh.jpg

then 10min on the other leg

10mins of this wide legged "Health Stance", probably called "Horse Stance" but I haven't heard Sifu name it.

horse-stance04.jpg

but with this hand posture:

horse-stance02.jpg

then one minute of "Dragon Stance":

1mdragon.jpg

then another minute on the other leg

My goal is to be able to do it for 4 hours within three years. We could all set our goals higher.

Hi Pranaman!

If you want a challenge for the horse stance, take the example from your picture, move the feet in just a little closer, and sink down until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Use a staff or broom stick and place it over the thighs. Squat just enough so that the staff doesn't roll off. But don't cheat and pinch the staff between your stomach and legs. ;)

The posture of the guy in the picture, that can be held for a lot longer without as much strain.

A deep low horse stance should have your legs begging for mercy in a matter of minutes... :D

Wong Kiew Kit recommends working up to 5 min.

In fact we should have a whole section in the gallery with the different positions. Where everybody can add their position or refer to those positions.
Excellent suggestion!

Here is my version of that linked from the iron shirt section of my site. Click on most of the pictures and it'll take you to the originating site. Not that that precludes a similar gallery here, and there's no promise that my site will always be there. Use, borrow, steal from, that page as you like. If there are standing pictures that you want me to add to it, pm me with the link to the picture and the originating page. (Not promising I'll add everything pm'd. I'm not as egalitarian as a group page here would be.)

Edited by Trunk

Sign in to follow this