Mal

Horse Riding Stance

Found this in my recent searching-

http://www.wongkk.com/general-2/horse-stance.html

So I'm going to ask Sifu to teach me, he does a very good horse stance. I made a few enquires 2 or 3 years ago, but like meditation it's not something he teaches us in class.

I've been thinking about asking for a while, but I'm afraid I wont have the willpower to persevere. But Sifu alway said we should never be afraid and I've got 5 min a day, possible more later.

So I'm going to have a go. Telling everyone here because I "forgot" to ask for the last 2 classes :)

Found this in my recent searching-

http://www.wongkk.com/general-2/horse-stance.html

So I'm going to ask Sifu to teach me, he does a very good horse stance. I made a few enquires 2 or 3 years ago, but like meditation it's not something he teaches us in class.

I've been thinking about asking for a while, but I'm afraid I wont have the willpower to persevere. But Sifu alway said we should never be afraid and I've got 5 min a day, possible more later.

So I'm going to have a go. Telling everyone here because I "forgot" to ask for the last 2 classes :)

Did I read somewhere that you are of the Erle Montaigue lineage?

If so we are brothers because Erle learnt from Master Chu King-hung who also taught my teacher.

Unfortunately no, but you can still be my brother :)

I use to train with some of Erles students. There was a Tai Chi teacher here in Townsville that was in Erle's system but I never personally trained with him. Although I did try for about 6 mts, he was a teacher where you had to prove you were interested by being persistent.

My Sifu is Ben Sue http://www.chinesekungfuacademy.com

my yiquan teacher just about a month and a half ago had me start horse stance standing. I love the energy I have through out the day after a good ten minutes of a decent postured horse stance. I need to move farther to my heels, it will make an immense difference. Soon enough it won't even be an exercise really. It's funny, my Sifu does it for five hours, he says he doesn't stop because he's tired, just because he has to eat, he gets up at 6am, starts horse stance, then usually at 11 decides it's time to eat lunch. But whats funny is he's telling me this while i've been in horse stance for 10mins, two pools of sweat on the floor beneath me, red hot and puffin for air. The students including I couldn't help but laugh.

I also recommend Big Step Stance:

Sifu Fong in Big Step Stance

Heat will plummet down your back leg and ground in your feet after this stance.

Unfortunately no, but you can still be my brother :)

I use to train with some of Erles students. There was a Tai Chi teacher here in Townsville that was in Erle's system but I never personally trained with him. Although I did try for about 6 mts, he was a teacher where you had to prove you were interested by being persistent.

My Sifu is Ben Sue http://www.chinesekungfuacademy.com

Henry Sue brother of Malcolm Sue yes? ;)

Good for you, my brother in-law trained under Malcolm in Brisbane. Hard, fast and effective. I've heard much development take place with their introduction of Tai Chi into their training.

Yes. Ben is the youngest brother, he trained with their teacher Dr Nat Yuen as well as with Henry and Malcolm. Malcolm became the "black sheep" of the family so I don't get to hear many stories about him, which is a shame. He now has a school in Perth, I beleive, but has "seperated" from our lineage.

And I did ask about the Horse stance this time. But I got given a moving exercise that will be benificial to MY kung fu instead. So not sure where to go re: horse stance now. I know it's not a favourite for southern styles but if I'm going to do any standing stance training horse stance is the "full lotus" :)

I used to gruel away at standing, got some good initial progress to a point, but plateau'd pretty quickly. Supplemental stuff like joint rotations (ala Sonnon), warming up more, squats (ala Ian), self-acupressure - all helped open up the flow more with less 'intensity'. Probably stuff you guys already know, but I felt saying. :)

here is another good article on horse stance to take a look at

here is an english translation

http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/hejinghan-bagua...;l=f&fid=62

and here is another english translation which also shows the original chinese article with the full pictures of many old master sitting in horse stance

archived website

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:JAakB...lient=firefox-a

franklin

Henry Sue brother of Malcolm Sue yes? ;)

Good for you, my brother in-law trained under Malcolm in Brisbane. Hard, fast and effective. I've heard much development take place with their introduction of Tai Chi into their training.

You guys should go ask your sifu what Malcolm did to Erle once then get the inside word on what nonsense Erle is. Seriously.

mouse

You guys should go ask your sifu what Malcolm did to Erle once then get the inside word on what nonsense Erle is. Seriously.

mouse

LOL -- I'm not in contact nor affiliated with either chaps so I wouldn't know ... perhaps you could enlighten us :D

LOL -- I'm not in contact nor affiliated with either chaps so I wouldn't know ... perhaps you could enlighten us :D

I once saw a movie with Gene Hackman and the Fresh Prince of Bell Aire. There is a scene where the prince (i forget his name) goes into a mobster's den and trails with him, the CIA - making the FBI follow too!

Gene Hackman looks and says, "You are either realllllly dumb, OR youre realllllllly smart."

If you look at a teacher or master and say, "his teaching is worthless or a fraud or ..."

You are exposing yourself as either a far greater master, or fool.

Horse Stance is one of the highest level secrets of immortality and chi collection. When I was a kid, i Hated horse stance. the most useless - non combat practical stance. But now that i understand it a bit, I do it daily.

Your vitality comes from your blood. The number one producer of red blood cells is your bone marrow. The largest set of bones in your body are your femur bones.

When you are in horse stance, you flex your femur bones and stress them. This creates internal heat. When heat rises, so does chi. Then the chi gets collected into the Ha Dan Tien.

The heat / chi continues to rise and mixes with saliva to create the elixir of life. You swallow that down and continue to draw the chi from the elixir back into the ha dan tien. Now, you've completed the microcosmic orbit meditation. If you think this is worthless... go get yourself some boards and bricks. hit them before and after. You'll notice your neichi and weichi change makes the bricks seem so much more fragile now.

LOL -- I'm not in contact nor affiliated with either chaps so I wouldn't know ... perhaps you could enlighten us

I once saw a movie with Gene Hackman and the Fresh Prince of Bell Aire. There is a scene where the prince (i forget his name) goes into a mobster's den and trails with him, the CIA - making the FBI follow too!

Gene Hackman looks and says, "You are either realllllly dumb, OR youre realllllllly smart."

If you look at a teacher or master and say, "his teaching is worthless or a fraud or ..."

You are exposing yourself as either a far greater master, or fool.

Apologies for being daft but I honestly don't get the point you were trying to make in relation to my post. If you check my posts I was in no way inferring anyone's "teaching are worthless or a fraud or ..."

Apologies for being daft but I honestly don't get the point you were trying to make in relation to my post. If you check my posts I was in no way inferring anyone's "teaching are worthless or a fraud or ..."

Hi Stig, I wasnt referring to your comment.

Hi Stig, I wasnt referring to your comment.

:D I kinda thought that was the case -- you just confused the issue by directly quoting me.

No foul, all good, play on :lol:

I love the energy I have through out the day after a good ten minutes of a decent postured horse stance.

Well done. If I could do 10 min I would be extremely pleased :) I'm using a lazy version of WKK's method of "add an extra breath every 3 days", I do an extra breath every week so I'm only at 14 breaths. Even taking one day a week off (I don't usually practice horse stance Thursday because I go to class) really sets you back, takes a few days before it becomes easy and relaxed again.

My knees stopped hurting once Sifu corrected my stance (Teacher are so cool) but he still thinks I am pretty weird wanting to do this. He also said I have to be VERY CAREFUL. Because of my weight holding a static posture for too long can be damaging to my knees and joints so I need to take it slowly.

Question. Is the effect of Zhang Zhuang training = Horse stance training or totally different ?

I would like to do an hour of Zhang Zhuang, but do not have the time. But I can do Tai Chi form, Horse stance, Tai Chi form (the second time through the form feels really nice) Takes ~45 min and I "could" eventually aim for 20 min in the horse stance making the whole thing take an hour.

i.e. I want to squash the effects of and hour of ZZ into 20 min of horse.

His response was "Erle is an opportunist" the only derogatory thing I have ever heard him say about anyone, ever. And I had to press to get that! Thanks for the suggestion.

Well done. If I could do 10 min I would be extremely pleased :) I'm using a lazy version of WKK's method of "add an extra breath every 3 days", I do an extra breath every week so I'm only at 14 breaths. Even taking one day a week off (I don't usually practice horse stance Thursday because I go to class) really sets you back, takes a few days before it becomes easy and relaxed again.

My knees stopped hurting once Sifu corrected my stance (Teacher are so cool) but he still thinks I am pretty weird wanting to do this. He also said I have to be VERY CAREFUL. Because of my weight holding a static posture for too long can be damaging to my knees and joints so I need to take it slowly.

Question. Is the effect of Zhang Zhuang training = Horse stance training or totally different ?

I would like to do an hour of Zhang Zhuang, but do not have the time. But I can do Tai Chi form, Horse stance, Tai Chi form (the second time through the form feels really nice) Takes ~45 min and I "could" eventually aim for 20 min in the horse stance making the whole thing take an hour.

i.e. I want to squash the effects of and hour of ZZ into 20 min of horse.

His response was "Erle is an opportunist" the only derogatory thing I have ever heard him say about anyone, ever. And I had to press to get that! Thanks for the suggestion.

Mal,

Great that your sifu can correct your stance. Horse stance shouldn't hurt the knees if done correctly. The tendons and skeletonal structure hold the stance. Not the muscles. I'm working on my own stance now and the increment in time is significant daily espcially if you use it as a mind training.

Your sifu is a very diplomatic man. Maybe Your Si Gung will give more insight.

Keep us posted on your progress! You have good determination. Am puzzled with the obsession with chocolate though. :D

Enjoy your practice,

mouse

A great thread! Thanks for sharing!

Many moons ago, I dabbled a little in Choy Li Fut. Made the 'mistake' of turning up for my first lesson the day of the senior class. They were nice people and didn't send me away...

Best,

Mike

When you are in horse stance, you flex your femur bones and stress them. This creates internal heat. When heat rises, so does chi. Then the chi gets collected into the Ha Dan Tien.

Thank you for this, daoin.

I am but new to Tai Chi, a mere year's time, and your explanation of what I have felt in my legs and, to some extent my body, is right on. I say to some extent to mean that I was not paying as much attention as I should have. (Blasted masters are right - AGAIN)

The heat / chi continues to rise and mixes with saliva to create the elixir of life. You swallow that down and continue to draw the chi from the elixir back into the ha dan tien. Now, you've completed the microcosmic orbit meditation. If you think this is worthless... go get yourself some boards and bricks. hit them before and after. You'll notice your neichi and weichi change makes the bricks seem so much more fragile now.

With your Further description, concerning the meridians, I shall now put forth a more concerted effort to focus on my breathing and chi flow exercises while in this stance.