Sign in to follow this  
voidisyinyang

AntiPhonal Taoism

That reminds me of a point Dr. Daniel Levitin made in his new book which I speed-read last night and this morning. Levitin points out that we use different throat muscles when we sing versus speaking. It seems unimportant except that a la Victor Grauer the Bushmen trance culture is based on a very RELAXED THROAT singing style (just as harmonic note-bending requires).

Considering Levitin's new book -- http://sixsongs.net I think is the site -- is about how music created human nature -- you'd think he'd focus on the Bushmen. He does give the Pygmy some special attention but Levitin basically states that trance music works since the driving rhythm entrains the back of the brain (that coordinates motion AND emotive motivation).

It's a well-written book but I'd say half of it is devoted to analysis of lyrics (words NOT music) which is quite tragic in my opinion. This was my first concern when Levitin emailed me his secret e-book appendix (since I pre-ordered the book a day ahead of time). Levitin does a good job on how the combination of pitch and syllable stress can be reversed to counter-act emotional effect. So an up tone indicates weakness -- a stressed question whereas the stressed syllable is a down tone for strength. He then discusses the mystery of epic poetry -- how the Jews and Greeks (and Western Asians and Africans, etc.) were able to memorize tomes, sometimes just on one hearing. His main argument is that there's contextual limitations of words and that musical pitch in the context of melody and rhythm is PREDICTIVE (people anticipate what will happen and therefore when in error are usually AHEAD of the beat).

Again if Daniel Levitin had focused on the Bushmen culture he'd have to deal with the fact that much of their trance music relies on words that have no meaning. Not to mention the fact that early Semitic language was TONAL (according to some) and that the Bushmen languages are the most sophisticated tonal languages. Clearly the emotive effect is connected to pitch cognition. Levitin mentions how there is an early perception of different pitch structures with different emotions but he doesn't really get into the mysterious details. Levitin states that pitches are universally processed as octaves and that rhythms are preferred as natural ratio units, 3:1 and 4:1, etc.

What is intriguing is he emphasis on "antiphony" as adaptive behavior in birds and even FROGS -- the males and females have a call and response because it confuses the predator about visual location. That fits in with my "homophonic induction" meme (my latest blog post at http://mothershiplanding.blogspot.com In fact I had been pondering this recently since I'm half way through a book called "Wild Heritage" by Sally Carrighar (1960s ethology) and she mentions some 100 bird species with amazing antiphony displays.

But then Levitin argues that humans are different since we use symbolic thought for tool-making (not just tool use) and that humans use naming as a formal tool, not just in assocation with an object. This is where things get REALLY fascinating for me. For example consider that famous gray parrot who makes jokes -- and uses words in creative contexts. Levitin argues that sound perception is correlated with predictive behavior and sound is a useful signal for synchronized group activity (since it goes around corners and works in the dark). He does a lot of name dropping (how he chatted with this famous singer, etc.) but he mentions Oliver Sacks the most (author of Musicophilia); and how Sacks had a song stuck in his head, the lyrics of which were later revealed to relay the subconscious emotions and meanings of Sack's recent trauma. There's actually a whole book on that psychological phenomenon which I reference in my masters thesis linked at http://nonduality.com/hempel.htm -- Too bad Levitin didn't use it: THE HAUNTING MELODY.

Anyway I think that Levitin is falling back on scientism here -- just as I called Sacks on his leaning toward elephants not being able to make music. Levitin does reference all the interesting latest books on the subject (Robin Dunbar's work, the Singing Neanderthal book, and even a reference for a book in press edited by Professor Chris Knight, the author of the Blood Relations tome). But the concept of BIOMUSIC is not developed enough. Levitin notes how the typical male voice is 110 Hz and the female is 220 hz and Levitin notes how TONOTOPY is found in most mammals (the physical correlation of frequency processing, high at one end of the inner ear and low tones at the other end).

This is the sticking point that Levitin called me on in our last correspondance -- he stated that I didn't understand or that I confused the difference between sound perception and transduction of electromagnetic energy. Levitin himself relies on a "macroscopic" perspective -- he argues that co-evolution of language and music is an emergent property from nonlinear dynamics of group behavior. But in Levitin's end notes he points out that human language is not necessarily "recursive" and that sparrows have been proven to have recursive syntax processing.

Well here's where I play my joker card: I corresponded with Professor Michael Corballis about his article in the New Scientist arguing that what makes humans special is our recursive language structure. But my take was that we need to consider how bird songs are also in ultrasonic harmonics and how therefore the nonlinear dynamics of the overtones become a recursive structure. Levitin does point out that the ear hair cells of humans detect motion ten times smaller than the radius of the hydrogen atom and that the ear detects energy a hundren times less than the photon. But when Levitin talks about how other animals can perceive other forms of energy he doesn't take into account the transduction of energy. It's been proven recently that birds SEE magnetic fields but Levitin emphasizes that birds still rely on an exterior visual coordinate (i.e. a non-moving star as the north).

What if the antiphony of frogs actually undermines Levitin's dependence on his "human recursive" symbolic thought model? What if his use of "Hertz" is actually inaccurate and that sound ratios themselves are asymmetric without a one-to-one correspondance of symbol and number? What if the quantum fuzziness -- the STRETCHING of phase, amplitude, and frequency -- enables sound to create electromagnetic fields through the processing of the 1-4-5 overtones.

This was the other hang up Levitin had with my analysis -- how the "sine-wave" does not have overtones. But he's defining sound as a visual phenomenon! When we LISTEN to sound then it's the 1-4-5 harmonics that are found whereas the concept of a "pure" sine-wave is the product of a symmetric-based or visual-based means of "divide and average" measurement. I had this discussion with a friend of mine recently -- as he was describing why the most famous singer of Cambodia is so awesome. He was using terms he had learned from analog synthesizer analysis -- the attack and decay of frequency based on a logarithmic definition of amplitude. But QUANTUM energy violates the commutative property and intensity is not defined by amplitude or number of waves but by the frequency which is asymmetric. Science then translates this "massless" energy beyond spacetime back into classical "divide and average" geometry -- through the assumption that the statistics are also "divide and average." Levitin also makes this assumption when he argues that humans THINK statistically -- and leaves it as some mysterious process.

We do learn that it's been proven music therapy can increase oxytocin, prolactin (from sad music) is the reason that we get catharsis, increase of antibodies causing healing, etc. This is all fantastic hard research for music healing -- even how different music styles increase different hormone levels (cortisol versus the other adrenal hormones).

But the question remains -- had Levitin looked at 90% of human history (which relies on music trance healing -- the Bushmen culture) then Levitin would have had to FACE THE MUSIC: The transduction of electrochemical heat, created from ultrasound, into electromagnetic light energy that is transmitted out of the body. Levitin could have relied on biophoton research. But the same problem remains as it did for the "Proust is a Neuroscience" recent book -- cross-modal neuron processing is reduced to an emergent property, not the gateway to deeper structural analysis.

Take Alan Turing -- he did breakthrough research on oscillating electrochemical properties (as Art Winfree notes in his amazing book, "When Time Breaks Down"). Turing ALSO relied on Godel's research, as physicist Roger Penrose points out in his "microtubule" consciousness research. Well is there a connection with Turing's closested homosexuality? Scandalous to say so -- but I invoke "homophonic induction" as a homonyn! haha. What if the secret of breaking down time is not to rely on visual collapse (the phase singularity of the poles of the planet -- the north pole as the star that doesn't move for bird perception, etc.) but instead relies on ANTIPHONY as TONOTOPY.

Recent research discovered that whale songs are getting lower in pitch -- because it's adaptive for males to sound BIGGER when courting females. What if there is ALSO an electrochemical correlation with sounding deeper -- that the RELAXED THROAT from singing is based on REVERSE BREATHING (as professional singers are trained) which ALSO sublimates and transduces the testosterone via the vagus nerve, thereby creating a DEEP voice. In other words the fact that mammals have tonotopy (with a physical correlation between frequency and neuron transduction) reveals that the microtubules of neuron process rely on antiphony -- the spiral unity of sound conspiracy (complementary opposite natural overtone resonance).

I rest my case.

Drew,

I consider myself a pretty intelligent guy. I've aced every math, chemistry, or physics class that I've ever taken. I do computer repair, sales and networking for a living. But man for the life of me I cannot ever make sense of your stuff. In the future you could write your posts as though you were trying to explain what was being said to a 5 year old. I think you could reach a lot more people here, myself included :)

I always consentrate as much as I can to try to penetrate this scientific intellectual information coming from drew. sometimes I feel that my god this is really truly radical and highly valuable info, then I suddenly catch glimpse of some digression..like wheew thist male pervert etc...in the exact manner that some other forumers usually serve up...like A or Oat a D etc.. :) .and then there are little quantumleaps in the text that either are signs of wacko/playful/schizo thinking OR seem so because of my lack of ability to logically or artistically follow his reasoning. HAHA.

Any way I always benfit tremendously reading drews posts and I am thrilled.. I find him one of the most creative and playful minds I've ever met. If this man sits in a cot and is pooor ar sits in a private yacht or makes movies or works for the cia? I dunno. Playful he is indeed.

This post may be about the nature of sound as communication medium. How it is transduced via wavelength through female formless awareness travelling between mammals. By the help of octave-based overtone sequences we perceive pure intent. A meaning devoid of falsehood since it reveals true emotional nature.

When communicating in trance we perceive not the guttural and socially conditioned vibrations of the strupe/larynx but the electromagnetic...language of overtones.

:lol::lol::lol:

B) so you see I never aced since secondary..

not totally correct..but then again

what is?

Edited by rain

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.

If you can't explain something to a six-year-old, you really don't understand it yourself.

-Albert Einstein

If you can't explain something to a six-year-old, you really don't understand it yourself.

-Albert Einstein

agreed.. :D make it 7

not - everything - should be told

- everyone -

nice to know / need to know.

Edited by rain

-Albert Einstein

words to live by

:)

:blink: He makes perfect sense to me. Hmmm.... :lol:

Froggie went a'courtin... mmm hmmm.... :P

I'm glad you other people get it, because I sure don't. With all do respect to drew it seems these writings on harmonics etc are more about ego masturbation and less about actually trying to convey insights to others. The sentence structure and vocabulary used are just too complex, for a lay person. Sure we can break out websters and wikipedia and spend the better part of an afternoon deciphering, but who wants to do that? Even then I am still left wondering what is the point, and how is this information even relevant?

to me it seems more like he's repeatedly trying to point out a fundamental conceptual flaw in mathematics and assumptions derived thereof. when he's got another point to make on it, we get treated to another head-scratcher.

I just feel bad I dont understand it well enough to pose any questions to the man! :)

keep 'em coming, drew...btw, are you posting these thoughts elsewhere, i.e. someplace where the community understands the implications?

Drew

Could you elaborate on any of these statements? You've captured my interest but it's a little over my head.

....What if the quantum fuzziness -- the STRETCHING of phase, amplitude, and frequency -- enables sound to create electromagnetic fields through the processing of the 1-4-5 overtones....

.... The transduction of electrochemical heat, created from ultrasound, into electromagnetic light energy that is transmitted out of the body....

.... In other words the fact that mammals have tonotopy (with a physical correlation between frequency and neuron transduction) reveals that the microtubules of neuron process rely on antiphony -- the spiral unity of sound conspiracy (complementary opposite natural overtone resonance)....

peace + love

Chris

Just sit in full-lotus all the time... or is that too complicated?

:lol:

But seriously :angry:

What stretches would i do to achieve full lotus. I can get there sometimes (my flexibilities varies slightly depending on various factors) but it is really uncomfortable.

So how do you get that flexible.

Edited by phore

Just saw the movie, "Kicking it!" about the Homeless World Soccer Cup. Sat in full-lotus the whole time. Had a couple "O at a Ds" with the young well-endowed female a few rows back. haha. O.K. so there was a recent study arguing the universe is actually at Platonic soccer ball -- dodecahedron.

Tontopy -- the SMALL UNIVERSE or the 12 nodes along the outside of the body -- give the correspondance between amplitude and frequency with the complementary opposite resonance of sacred geometry. The ratios 2:3 is yang and 3:4 is yin -- the 2:3 is the Perfect 5th, 12 of them make the scale -- and so completes the octave circuit. The harmonic interval C to G is the 5th and G to C is th 4th, 3:4. So it violates Western math based on the commutative property with C to G not equaling G to C. Umm the full-lotus is the tetrahedron made up of 4 equilateral triangles each made up of two 2:3:4 triangles. They collapse or resonate into female formless awareness. 2:3 is the electromagnetic energy and 3:4 is the electrochemical energy -- the foundation, 3:4 is the jing -- electrochemical or amplitude and 3:4 is the frequency or chi that turns into shen which resonates back into female formless awareness. That's why this stuff doesn't make sense from the perspective of western science -- it undermines western science, unless you consider the larger cycle of logical inference where time is not contained by space.

As the Russians stated when they won the Homeless World Soccer Cup: Our motto is Jimmy Morrison's song: BREAK ON THROUGH! Music activates the autonomic parasympathetic nervous system of the cerebellum (the Lizard King!) where motion and emotion are combined -- and when motion is inactivated via the full-lotus then the electrochemical energy is sublimated -- the sex energy -- to be ionized through ultrasound into electromagnetic energy, the chi, which then turns into shen, light, which is bent by spacetime back into female formless awareness or consciousness.

So if you want to sit in full-lotus first practice the SMALL UNIVERSE to open up the channels -- read the book, "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" by charles luk for the details and get the Level 1 sitting meditation C.D., $11, for the 12 nodes of the outer body psychic music practice -- http://springforestqigong.com

For example -- consider this new study on the Aborigines (with a strong paranormal healing tradition) -- you can count without words -- by LISTENING to sound as pure thought:

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/2142/ab...without-numbers

Edited by drew hempel

All this knowledge is great Drew, but what real world application does it have for us laymen? Will playing the correct frequencies on our piano or tuning forks while sitting in full lotus give us more chi to work with? All this harmonics theory looks great on paper, but I have to ask: What is its practical application?

I challenge you to find real world applications for your knowledge of harmonics etc, display your mastery over the physical universe etc. Maybe find a nice girl to participate and record her experiences if you attempt an O and D on her in full lotus, maybe secretly record and youtube it for us here to see.

Hmmmmm

*Patrick passes joint then drops acid*

:huh:

What stretches would i do to achieve full lotus. I can get there sometimes (my flexibilities varies slightly depending on various factors) but it is really uncomfortable.

So how do you get that flexible.

If you do a search, there is a thread entitled Full Lotus that contains some stretches. Best plan on it taking a while to get there comfortably, you'll only damage yourself if you go too fast. :)

I sat in full lotus for around a minute per side today

ok so i practiced the half lotus for about 10 minutes on each side while doing some college work and listening to the gamma meditation system (going to be some profound homework :lol: ) .

ive noticed that ive become a bit more flexible since the last time i tried this. Interesting energy in the legs.

im interested in inforporating this into my practice.

Is it a good position for mantra meditation.

What about damos cave

So drew i think you say that sitting full lotus is the best exercise. Do you mean that it s the best meditation position or the best actual physical exercise, or both.

To be honest I don't think simply sitting in any posture is going to do jack sh....

It's all about the depth of trance you are able to achieve. Master Lin stresses above all else in his spring forest qigong course that the #1 key for success is going into the emptiness, where thoughts ultimately cease, and you forget that you even exist.

Robert Bruce talks about trance work as key to his system, going deeper into trance.

http://astraldynamics.com/tutorials/?Board...;BulletinID=269

In the book the Tao of meditation it details how one should go into a state of hibernation breathing only a few times per minute (Lin also speaks of this).

The state of mind, and the depth of trance are vastly superior to just sitting if your goal is to work with chi. If you like just sitting to sit well full lotus and zen might be of some use ;)

Edited by mwight

I'll agree with you there mwight....my most profound moments were in the middle of longevity breathing practices. Interesting things happen at 35, 40, 45 second breaths....that's as far as I've gotten. On the other hand, I've had very profound meditations while in full lotus, but not too many of them because my body isnt fully ready to do it just yet and I'm making too much of a stretch to sit full lotus at the moment.

Well I did have that computer wig out on me as I report in my latest blog post at http://mothershiplanding.blogspot.com I can certainly sense the EMP - electromagnetic pollution -- from computers, phones, radios, etc. You just sit in full-lotus and it counter-acts it. What's WORSE though is the pervert male routine where their subconscious electromagnetic energy is focused on creating more generative fluid. The modern male does not know how to make "love-light" -- electromagnetic energy from the heart-pineal gland connection and so is actually in a rate of diminishing returns, just as is the trajectory of technology in general. So whose the machine now?

HA!!

Drew is working in a subtle, sideways, spirit like way. It doesnt matter if our conscious mind doesnt get it.

Slowly the wisdom will filter in, about how the universe is a sound.

If you get caught up in fighting his transmission, you will miss it.

As fort Drew's sexuality, well... he has his way with Shakti that is currently quite interesting.

Drew, do you think you need to be relating to Shakti out there in the world, or do you think sometime you will work with the divine shakti that isnt embodied?

Sign in to follow this