Sign in to follow this  
orb

The Truth about 6 pack

Hi all,

for those of you who would like to try a good fitness program that builds your six pack and makes your body look like the spartans in the 300 movie read about it on the following website http://www.truthaboutabs.com/

This guy claims that most of the diets are bs and most of the exercises intended for your abs are wrong and somehow he in his infinite wisdom sat down and figured out the right way of doing it.

Anyway, he will sell you the e-book for 40 bucks but you don't get to see it until you pay for it which, I guess many people would be ok with, or you can figure out from my post how not to waste your money and still take a "good look" at the product before you agree into buying it - the same way any fair contract in this world would work.

[admin edit]please don't post links to pirated resources on TTB.

so i glanced through the book

it advocates high intensity workouts (i've been doing that for about 3 months now)

the only thing that bothers me though is that he goes on to talk about a balanced approach to diet (not going low carb/high fat/high protein or high carb/low fat/high protein) yet the exercises he recommends are in every right, extreme.

out of lets say 30 people in my local gym, maybe 5 dead lift and out of those five maybe 2 do it regularly, including myself.

lets take that 30 again, clean and snatches (or power cleans) are also recommended by him; i only know about two other dudes (who might not even go to the gym anymore) who do them.

the exercises, in short, fuck you body up.

if you do not use proper form you WILL get injured and you WILL feel it. the scary thing being it is very easy to mess up on the form as most of those lifts have either jerking movements or times when your body can become unstable (like squatting down with 200+ lbs on your back).

my approach is of moderate intensity (which is what you would of thought this moderate dude would have recommended) by incorporating both multi joint movements and single joint movements. an example would be on lets legs you could

squat (free weight, of course)

leg press (here is the single joint at work)

calf raises (single joint again)

the squat's intensity makes up for the lack of intensity the single joint exercises provide, although leg pressing heavy weight is still difficult.

i could write forever on this but i don't think anyone cares so i'll be quiet

peace

It is still good to see somebody's written observations.

peace

Edited by lino

so i glanced through the book

peace

Hey Mantis, of course people care - everybody is doing some form of fitness these days and it's good to know the different apporaches and to figure out the right way of doing things, especially when smb has a lot of experience like you - I'm sure you learned quite a few tricks in your practice. What surprised the most was the fact that he dismisses most of the classical forms of sit-ups - what do you think of that ?

Also since the cranky admin secret service on this forum edited my link imediately - if anybody is still interested in "getting the e-book" don't hesitate to PM me and I'll give you the link.

well, i follow the anabolic diet BUT i think everyone should find a diet that they like - that's the most important thing. if you don't like what you have to eat on your diet chances are you aren't going to stick with it and staying with it is the most important thing. that being said, if you like meat/dairy/cheese, maybe you should look into the anabolic diet.

as for the sit ups i can't comment on that because the only sit ups i do is on the ball (which he recommends) but if you feel the exercise and are getting results i think you should continue.

the book is good for someone who is completely clueless but he doesn't really give you a program (that i found), rather a list of exercises. the program below gives you a simple, easy to follow routine that recommends starting with the bar on a few exercises (to ensure you are doing them correctly before adding weight).

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beg...aining-program/

it's a 4 week program and after you complete it you can switch to the intermediate program (which i was on) or go into a more traditional bodybuilding routine.

Why do you want a six-pack abdomen? It may be attractive to young people but seems silly to me. I worked out with weights in the gym over 25 years and saw lots of mistakes made, all by guys in their 20's.

If you do lots of qigong and breathing your abdomen will look more like a baloon than a six pack. I'm 55 and the grandkids think it fun to bounce their heads off of my belly as I push them away, look ma no hands!

The ideal chi kung physique is generally described as steel wrapped in cotton.

Glen morris says

More like an athletic girl than a man.

look at tai chi masters like mantak chia

Edited by phore

Why do you want a six-pack abdomen? It may be attractive to young people but seems silly to me. I worked out with weights in the gym over 25 years and saw lots of mistakes made, all by guys in their 20's.

If you do lots of qigong and breathing your abdomen will look more like a baloon than a six pack. I'm 55 and the grandkids think it fun to bounce their heads off of my belly as I push them away, look ma no hands!

Not to mention a true Qi gong belly does wonders to a womans clitoris while you have great tantric/ taoist sex.

6 pak will NEVER do that.

Not to mention a true Qi gong belly does wonders to a womans clitoris while you have great tantric/ taoist sex.

6 pak will NEVER do that.

qi gong belly as in a beer belly? wohoo thats a good enough reason to start drinking

having a 6 pack is the epitome of fitness, i really hope you all are joking about having a huge gut and then thinking it's beneficial.

having a 6 pack is the epitome of fitness, i really hope you all are joking about having a huge gut and then thinking it's beneficial.

Mantis.....

I think its great you desire the perfect looking abs...but that is all it is a perfect looking ab. Real abs are relaxed look at the abs of a gorilla.

if you know anything about true taoist & buddhist cultivation a chi belly is not a bad thing. It all depends on how you train. I know PROFESSIONAL kick boxers with perfect 8 packs and my "taoist" belly still takes a hit better than their beautifully sculpted 8 pack.

Do not be deceived that having "Sculpted muscle" is real power dude.

Its only part of the deal.

I guarantee you if you came and saw me my abs are stronger than your sculpted 6 pack from all sides. Look at it this way when it relaxed its relaxed when its tight its a IRON KEG!

Ask Vortex he was in my house ask him what my lower dan tien felt like when he tried to push it in???

All my teachers had a "Chi Belly" and guess what they where as strong as bears.

Peace

Santiago

Edited by Vajrasattva

Mantis.....

I think its great you desire the perfect looking abs...but that is all it is a perfect looking ab. Real abs are relaxed look at the abs of a gorilla.

if you know anything about true taoist & buddhist cultivation a chi belly is not a bad thing. It all depends on how you train. I know PROFESSIONAL kick boxers with perfect 8 packs and my "taoist" belly still takes a hit better than their beautifully sculpted 8 pack.

Do not be deceived that having "Sculpted muscle" is real power dude.

Its only part of the deal.

I guarantee you if you came and saw me my abs are stronger than your sculpted 6 pack from all sides. Look at it this way when it relaxed its relaxed when its tight its a IRON KEG!

Ask Vortex he was in my house ask him what my lower dan tien felt like when he tried to push it in???

All my teachers had a "Chi Belly" and guess what they where as strong as bears.

Peace

Santiago

It also depends on how the two of you are defining a "six pack". Anyone who is in decent shape and doesn't have a load of lard hanging from their gut will have some visibility of their abs. In your example of a gorilla, most of the time you can see definition in even the most well fed silverbacks. Having a "bulge" to the belly may develop (keyword "may") from any number of breathing exercises from pranayama to qigong. Even then though, if the individual is not covered with fat then the abs will be seen at least in form they will just not be flat.

The popular "Abercrombie boys" ab look is more to do with genetics than actual health. Perhaps that is what you are assuming mantis is after/has. Perhaps that is the case.

The "Qi belly" is also not a necessity though. Looking at yoga masters one sees both "bellied" and lean masters, same with some Taoists of the centuries past (if their portraits can be trusted). The accompanying exercises that one does with the breathing exercises determine whether or not the internal abdominal muscles are "taut" or laxed. Breathing into the lower abdomen can stretch the abdomen if those muscles are not also worked.

It also depends on how the two of you are defining a "six pack". Anyone who is in decent shape and doesn't have a load of lard hanging from their gut will have some visibility of their abs. In your example of a gorilla, most of the time you can see definition in even the most well fed silverbacks. Having a "bulge" to the belly may develop (keyword "may") from any number of breathing exercises from pranayama to qigong. Even then though, if the individual is not covered with fat then the abs will be seen at least in form they will just not be flat.

The popular "Abercrombie boys" ab look is more to do with genetics than actual health. Perhaps that is what you are assuming mantis is after/has. Perhaps that is the case.

The "Qi belly" is also not a necessity though. Looking at yoga masters one sees both "bellied" and lean masters, same with some Taoists of the centuries past (if their portraits can be trusted). The accompanying exercises that one does with the breathing exercises determine whether or not the internal abdominal muscles are "taut" or laxed. Breathing into the lower abdomen can stretch the abdomen if those muscles are not also worked.

my belly is like that of a healthy baby.

So was Glenns

So was the belly of my Lamas.

It is a natural outcome yet it is stronger than the belly that mantis is talking about.

Hi all,

for those of you who would like to try a good fitness program that builds your six pack and makes your body look like the spartans in the 300 movie read about it on the following website http://www.truthaboutabs.com/

Sorry, I still don't understand what kind of exercises are being promoted. I do a lot of situps and am always open to new exercises.. but I don't see examples of anything to try out.

my belly is like that of a healthy baby.

So was Glenns

So was the belly of my Lamas.

It is a natural outcome yet it is stronger than the belly that mantis is talking about.

Stronger?... well, if it is lard then it likely simply gives better insulation, but that doesn't make it healthy. If it is just round like a baby then that is just like what was mentioned in the above post. Breathing exercises do work the abdominal muscles and they do so in a way that is not often done by common exercises. Anyone with a Santa belly that jiggles like jelly should not be giving health advice. Meditation advice....maybe, but not health advice. By your description of "stronger" it appears to imply a "hard" belly, which is not like a baby's soft flabby abdomen it may look like it, but it is different.

Wow. It amazed me that this thread has developed on this forum.

From a Buddhist point of view, I would like to note that those after a six pack are very attached to form - a well documented obstacle in spiritual progression.

From a common sense point of view and if I were in this position, I would personally wonder why I am concerned with what others think.

From a internal arts point of view, I have met a number of tai chi masters - some well built, some thin... it's simply genetics and NOT an indicator of health. It can be an indicator of health if it is onset through bad diet and a lack of exercise. But a well developed belly through breathing exercises. although perhaps quite sizeable, is not the be mistaken for bad health.

Yours humbly,

James

Stronger?... well, if it is lard then it likely simply gives better insulation, but that doesn't make it healthy. If it is just round like a baby then that is just like what was mentioned in the above post. Breathing exercises do work the abdominal muscles and they do so in a way that is not often done by common exercises. Anyone with a Santa belly that jiggles like jelly should not be giving health advice. Meditation advice....maybe, but not health advice. By your description of "stronger" it appears to imply a "hard" belly, which is not like a baby's soft flabby abdomen it may look like it, but it is different.

T81,

Proof is in the pudding. A real true internal iron body is soft when not tense like baby body and like iron when tensed.

That includes the belly.

By the way.....My "Baby" belly passed all the state FL Police Physical requirements (run, swim, obstacle test & calisthenics) with out much effort. I also hopped 6ft wall without issue at all. I did better than most of the clowns with the 6 pak and sculpted biceps and muscles etc...If you have internal conditioning you have health.

My Avatar should give you insight to internal "ABS".

Santiago

Edited by Vajrasattva

Try and extrapolate the kind of workweek Santiago goes thru or may go thru.

1. Hours of Mantra.

2. Yoga & qigong for hours.

3. Martial Arts Instruction & Sparring practice.

4. Healings.

5. Developing more curriculum, streamlining it, or making it safer for three main websites. (doblesinstitute, umaatantra, hoshin.us)

6. Helping to oversee a health business & publishing business.

7. Doing bodyguard work.

8. Getting some guitar time in.

That already shows physical endurance in itself.

Try and extrapolate the kind of workweek Santiago goes thru or may go thru.

1. Hours of Mantra.

2. Yoga & qigong for hours.

3. Martial Arts Instruction & Sparring practice.

4. Healings.

5. Developing more curriculum, streamlining it, or making it safer for three main websites. (doblesinstitute, umaatantra, hoshin.us)

6. Helping to oversee a health business & publishing business.

7. Doing bodyguard work.

8. Getting some guitar time in.

That already shows physical endurance in itself.

Lino,

You forgot making sure my one 1/2 year old doesn't eat or swallow anything sharp or doesn't burn down the house.

Even she does energy work and has begin her Silat training. try carrying a one year old under one arm all day all week all the time while you do other activities.

: )

Body Gaurd work is slow these days since i refuse to work with rappers at this stage in my life. However the royals should be back in town soon.

Edited by Vajrasattva

Sign in to follow this