Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Tao Bums Martial Arts

Please feel free to discuss your style and lineage whether it is more external or internal oriented.

Let's make it a lively discussion.

About me: Practised Chen style Taijiquan for few years here where I live in Brisbane. Then moved to Taiwan to learn Yin Fu Baguazhang with He Jinghan. I decided to go back to Australia because I found Taipei way too hectic. It was a unfortunate move because He Jinghan is a top Bagua master.

Anyway, I just took up Bagua again and this time the Liang style as there are no Yin teachers in this city. Anyway Bagua is Bagua, however there is more emphasis on walking the circle in this style than in Yin Fu.

I am actively studying Yang style T'ai-Chi Ch'uan under Master T.T. Liang's 2 lineage disciples here in the Twin Cities. I also hope in a couple of years I hope I will be able to start back into Liu Ho Pa Fa in a couple years, as I just love it. Right now my focus is the T'ai-Chi as it is such a good base for all internal styles. In the past I have also dabbled in 7-star Praying Mantis and a little bit of Hsing-Yi. All-in-all I have been studying these various styles for the last 10 years.

Twin Cities T'ai-Chi Ch'uan is where I study.

The harder stuff I have studied is really fun and flashy but, for me, I just find the internal styles to have a greater depth and meaning in my life especially as it relates to my spiritual practices.

Please feel free to discuss your style and lineage whether it is more external or internal oriented.

Let's make it a lively discussion.

About me: Practised Chen style Taijiquan for few years here where I live in Brisbane. Then moved to Taiwan to learn Yin Fu Baguazhang with He Jinghan. I decided to go back to Australia because I found Taipei way too hectic. It was a unfortunate move because He Jinghan is a top Bagua master.

Anyway, I just took up Bagua again and this time the Liang style as there are no Yin teachers in this city. Anyway Bagua is Bagua, however there is more emphasis on walking the circle in this style than in Yin Fu.

I learned the Yang form open hand set through the Daoist Tai Chi society (not terribly good, but the only game in town) for about five years and then left them. I've kept practicing since then (close to 25 years now) and attend various workshops and lessons when I can. This has included the five animal frolics that a grad student was teaching, a summer course on sword that a technician who used to be a member of a Chinese provincial wushu team was teaching, various workshops that the Canadian Taijiquan Federation was holding, and, an intro to XingYi and Bagua workshop that Andrea Falk was holding in my area. I'm currently working through a Chen spear routine that I have on a dvd.

My primary focus currently is Taijiquan and Dao meditation. I also practice Xingyiquan in the Hebei lineage but the Xingyi takes a back seat to Taiji and meditation lately.

Our Taijiquan program is based on Yang style and Chen Pan Ling style. We practice a very comprehensive Taijiquan curriculum (2 jian forms, 2 dao forms, staff, spear, 2 man set, jian 2 man set, qin na, fixed and moving da lu drills, multiple other 2 man drills, pushing hands, san da, free fighting, supplemental qigong and neigong). Our Dao meditation lineage comes from Liu Peizhong.

I practice some basic circle walking but have not pursued a serious study of Bagua yet - simply too much to practice on my plate already! My school also has an external program. We cross train a bit with the external guys but that's not a big part of my focus.

Prior to my current focus, I spent time in a few 'external' systems dating back to the early '70's including Wing Chun, Japanese sword arts (kendo, iaido, and iaijutsu), and Shorinjiryu Kenyukai Karate.

My teacher and fellow instructors are the best group of people I've ever trained with. We have a group of really dedicated folks who take our training seriously and work together to try and figure out how to really make the stuff work. Our teacher recognizes our efforts and loves to teach when he sees serious students who want to learn. I'm very fortunate to be in this situation currently and I'm trying to take full advantage of the opportunity. These situations never last forever but, while I can, I plan to learn as much as I can and perfect what I'm taught to the best of my ability.

i practice and teach

Yang style Taiji Quan

Hebei style Xing Yi Quan

Ba Gua Zhang (don't really teach bagua openly- it is more for advanced students or people with prior experience)

and Five Family Southern Shaolin

The Yang Taiji and Xing Yi that I teach comes from my teacher Gong Zhong Xiang who was a disciple of Chu Gui Ting

Chu Gui Ting was a disciple of Yang Chen Fu (yang style taiji) and Li Tsun Yi (xing yi quan)

The Five Family Southern Shaolin was brought to the US by the late Ark Wong- my teacher (Louie Martinez) was a student of Ark Wong's and also one of the instructors at Ark Wong's school

I have also studied with other teachers- can see my website for a detailed list of who what when and where- (see my sig)

I also learned several different types of qi gong and mediation practices- but those aren't really that martial

Franklin

xuesheng- i also learned some taiji and tien shan pai while I was living in maryland- i trained with a student of Dennis Brown's- I also got to meet Willy Lin and his disciple Gene Gause when I was living in Taiwan

Edited by Franklin

Right now mainly Budo Taijutsu and Silat (various styles). I've played in Bagua and Systema as well. It pretty much all blends together when we play.

Exceptional in "La-Zi Man" and "Wo-Man Beir" attempting to master "Co Man Cinse" and im being taught by my fiance about the forgotten art of "Dish Wa Shing"...

;)

Sign in to follow this