Sign in to follow this  
ToL

Dealing With Emotions

Most religions say that one must conquer his emotions, good over bad, desires etc.

But how do you deal with emotions? I know that in Kunlun, you release them, so what happens to me is that alot of evil stuff comes out of me, so what do I need to do? restrict them, try to conquer them, control them, or let them express themself? If I let that happend, isn't this means that my emotions control me?

Just watch them come and go.

Listen to Buddhist chanting like this to get inspiration and good vibrations that will stimulate your spiritual energy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYIk9DFVfU...feature=related

You can recite your own Buddhist mantras as well (do a google search for them).They are very energising. Visualise the Buddha within you which is radiating love and compassion to the whole world and all its sentient beings in this reality and all others.

Thinking and visualising the wellbeing of others instead of yours will get rid of emotions. Remember what the Christ and Buddha did: they spent their last part of their lives to the unconditional service of humanity.

Recipe to achieve this state:

Daily Yoga. Practice at least twice a day.

The best of luck :)

Namo Amithaba Buddha.

*Edited: two links added.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Most religions say that one must conquer his emotions, good over bad, desires etc.

But how do you deal with emotions? I know that in Kunlun, you release them, so what happens to me is that alot of evil stuff comes out of me, so what do I need to do? restrict them, try to conquer them, control them, or let them express themself? If I let that happend, isn't this means that my emotions control me?

The best method I've come across is to say to yourself (either verbally or internally) what you are feeling. So when you are embarrassed say "Feeling embarrassment". This allows you to "hold onto the One". I came across this in a sermon at my Unitarian Church where someone talked about a Buddhist teacher who was in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. He found himself in front of a crowd of people in a lecture hall and totally forgot what he was supposed to be saying. So he simply listed out loud all the emotions he was feeling, joined his hands together and bowed to the audience (i.e. "Feeling embarrassment", bow. "Feeling shame", bow. "Feeling anxious", bow. etc.)

I use this technique all the time.

The important point is to understand the separation between your various souls and don't forget about your higher self ("The One", or in Buddhist terms, "the Buddha Mind".) You don't have to try and put your lower self in chains, just remember that the higher one exists and identify with it instead of the lower one. (I know, easier said than done---.)

Love them.

If you accept them whatever they are. If you restrict, conquer, or control them they will still exist in you subconsciously. This is called repression and is the scource of some very bad stuff. All emotions when fully experienced are bliss.

The bad emotions trying to express themselves is happens when you refuse to accept the emotion. EX: I shouldnt be depressed. Ill just kill myself then i wont have to FEEL depressed. or: I shouldnt FEEL angry. Ill just Kill peole until they stop making me angry. or: I Shouldnt FEEL embarrased. Ill just panic. Hopefully that will distract me until it goes away.

Try this. Next time you feel an emotion you dont like accept the emotion. What happens when you dont mind having fear in you. What happens when you love being embarrased. EX: Hey im angry. Well this is different. Actually it kind of feels good.

The feeling ive had with this is thet it releases a lot of blocked energy. Most people refuse to release this energy and all sorts of health and mental problems result.

All emotions and thoughts are based in either love or fear. Emotions come from your thoughts. To get rid of the negative emotions you will need to release your fear. By feeling unconditional love you can eliminate fear. Fear is like an energy current that runs through you. So is love. Fear cant exist in the prescence of love.

The reason why kunlun allows you to release these emotions is because the energy comes directly from love. I use kunlun. It allowed me to internalize and understand these concepts.

Love

oh ! oh ! oh !

I am getting good and better about emotions. First of all, I come from a philosophical taoist perspective-- so I don't believe emotions are something to be indulged in. The first thing you should do when you experience emotion is ask yourself why, and try to intellectually understand the root of the problem, (in you.) Hopefully, with long practice and dedication, you will become a very even-tempered, wise man.

Next.. Because I am no sage I have had a problem with emotions. especially sicne my last girlfriend broke up with me.

I would get that suffocating feeling in my chest.. you know, that emotional PAIN. Like your heart is breaking. I found that when I opened up my front channels, the emotion would flow down and dissipate. I remember one night, laying broken hearted.. I paid attention to the heart break, and then it started pulsating. It then flowed down to (through?)my belly and then went away.

so, I don't know if this would work with emotions other than heart-break.. I learned a valuable lesson-- that your heart center and your front channels must be relaxed, open, and flowing so that emotion doesn't get stagnant and build on its self.

ps, experiment with 'accepting' emotion. Like, if you feel super depressed and lonely, (I did the other day, I am positive because of sexual retention.........) try to accept that you feel depressed, miserable, and lonely.

Don't worry about changing it, or getting better. surrender to it. 'this is how I am.'

..so kinda like walking cloud said ? ;)

It is definately interesting to try when you find yourself in an emotional state!

Thank you all for your answers, I think it is good to let go, but still stay in control somehow, I guess that's the problem for me. I will try to surrender more, it's crazy, it's like jumping from a mountain without knowing why, or what is down there. Maybe for those who are having this problem like me, I tried to lie down on a bed, and imagine i'm in a pool of water, drowning, sinking more and more... you then start to feel your weight more and more. After sometime you get that feeling when you are falling, let yourself fall.

If you know more exercises like this I will be happy to hear :)

maybe it's just grounding? (I haven't got the new kunlun book yet, maybe the I-Jong will balance my Kunlun practice?) *btw, anybody has some experiences with golden folwer & maoshan traveling hands?

Best Wishes,

ToL

Dealing with emotions:

I find that incredibly hard. Maybe the hardest thing I know.

For better or worse, the only thing I have realized after about 15 years of chikung, meditation and even therapy is to move on after making a complete fool out of myself, and start over.

h

Dealing with emotions:

For better or worse, the only thing I have realized after about 15 years of chikung, meditation and even therapy is to move on after making a complete fool out of myself, and start over.

h

beautifully put hagar.

me too. the day I can witness emotions like I now can witness physical pain, well..yohoo!

Edited by rain

i practice golden flower and maoshan traveling hands.

Golden flower brought my sleep down to 5-6 hours when combined with kunlun

i practice traveling hands while falling asleep. It hasnt worked so far. It is a lot easier to fall asleep though.

Red sun is in the book too.

Edited by phore

Dealing with emotions:

h

LOL yes indeed a wonderful insight.

Feel whatever comes up....like we have a choice in the matter! :lol:

Be a good person, and be kind. We do have a choice in that, although it can be challenging.

Surrendering isn't something we can choose to do, in my opinion. It's only when we're fully beaten to a pulp that we are surrendered. And I mean FULLY beaten. But what aids the process of letting go and surrendering is a disciplined life, choosing to do only good to others. I also agree that vipassana is good...not necessarily as a sitting practice to do in addition to kunlun, but as a way to look at life every day, every second.

You asked about if I-Jong will balance your kunlun practice...in my opinion when you're facing this kind of stuff, that's when your kunlun practice is going well. ;)

One of my teachers used to lecture on how the internal martial arts are the back-assward way towards enlightenment. You first deal with the physical body and learn how to harmonize the muscles with the breath.

Then you learn how to harmonize the body with the emotions. You release stored emotions that were usually stored from childhood so they look big and evil and frightening.

Then you practice harmonizing spirit with the body and emotions, and hopefully, create wisdom. I usually have to go for a second cup of coffee...

The goal of meditation is to observe your thoughts and emotions as they come up into the mind, and to see them for what they are, not to pass judgement on them.

Sign in to follow this