Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

Learn baguazhang and qigong from dvds?

NO.

Edit: Nothing moving. Still Qigong like Zhan Zhuang, Wuji stances and such it is okay from books. Anything moving is way too complex and easy to make mistakes and carry them on; hence interfering with correct chi flow.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Learning any qigong is best from a teacher, even zhan zhong. There are always subtle corrections to be made and a DVD or book just won't do it. They are best for reference and inspiration.

thanks.

NO! DON'T buy into it!

micromanaging every nuance of your practice is NOT the key! if fact, it's perhaps the biggest lie in cultivation!

buy your DVD's and have fun! Do it badly and have fun! invent your OWN bagua style if you want to! control is NOT the key to healing or awakening. FREEDOM is the key! free yourself of the dogma. learn at your own pace, in your own way. don't get boxed in by all the fucking rules. i promise you that you'll be happier AND you'll develop faster.

the highest technique is the skillful abandonment of technique! what makes it skillful? knowledge of self!

so get to know YOU intimately, and let THAT be your highest rule!

with love,

The Heretic

:lol:

Is it possible to do this learn baguazhang and qigong from dvds?

It's impossible to learn baguazhang and quigong from a teacher too----.

Ultimately, you can get exposed to a form but you have to figure it out for yourself. On a practical level, if you try to learn an art from a video, even if it is terrible, it means that you will learn that much faster when you actually do manage to find a teacher. And don't forget that there are a lot of very, very bad teachers out there.

Ultimately, you have to figure it out for yourself----.

NO! DON'T buy into it!

micromanaging every nuance of your practice is NOT the key! if fact, it's perhaps the biggest lie in cultivation!

buy your DVD's and have fun! Do it badly and have fun! invent your OWN bagua style if you want to! control is NOT the key to healing or awakening. FREEDOM is the key! free yourself of the dogma. learn at your own pace, in your own way. don't get boxed in by all the fucking rules. i promise you that you'll be happier AND you'll develop faster.

the highest technique is the skillful abandonment of technique! what makes it skillful? knowledge of self!

so get to know YOU intimately, and let THAT be your highest rule!

with love,

The Heretic

:lol:

Right on, Hundun!

lol

books and dvds can be a great resource

live teachers can also be a great resource

if you have viewed a bunch of dvds or books you you will have a broader perspective

which is good because there are many live teachers out there that might want to take you for a ride so to speak

even having a live teacher is not a guarantee that you will get "it"

i personally think you should use every resource to help you along the way

but with the idea that information is not training nor is it a substitute for training

here is a case in point-

when i first started in the martial arts it was in karate-

near the beginning of my training i remember taking a test and part of the test was self defence

so one of he attacks was a two handed push

so I side stepped and put my foot out to trip the guy

well my teacher came over and sort of huffed- "where did you learn that??"

(it was not a typical sort of beginner karate response)

so i told him that i read about it in a book

but just reading about something gave me a broader perspective- one that said i could step to the side

instead of stepping back and blocking and striking

training and insight is also a great teacher

Franklin

Sign in to follow this