Sign in to follow this  
Taiji Bum

What makes you a true Taoist?

This reminds me of the question of what makes you a Christian. Some people might read a few chapter of the New Testament and proclaim themselves Christians. Then you have some who say your not a Christian until your baptized. Then other say your not Christian until your in a lineage that can trace itself back to Jesus himself.

You get the same thing in Taoism. Some read the Tao Teh Ching and say their Taoist. Then others come along saying your not Taoist until you join a temple and still others say your not Taoist until your in an established lineage and that you cant even understand the inner meaning of the Tao Teh Ching until your initiated. Yeah, I have met those people....

Just starting a topic that all yall can turn into a rant if you like. I'm feeliing persnickity today.

Edited by DarinHamel

You get the same thing in Taoism. Some read the Tao Teh Ching and say their Taoist. Then others come along saying your not Taoist until you join a temple and still others say your not Taoist until your in an established lineage and that you cant even understand the inner meaning of the Tao Teh Ching until your initiated. Yeah, I have met those people....

Darin,

given that Daoism is chinese, although of course not exclusive to the chinese, you have to first of all define what is "a daoist" i.e. what is the correspondent term in chinese.

"Daoist" is a term invented in the west, therefore in that respect it can mean everything and/or nothing at the same time.

YM

This reminds me of the question of what makes you a Christian. Some people might read a few chapter of the New Testament and proclaim themselves Christians. Then you have some who say your not a Christian until your baptized. Then other say your not Christian until your in a lineage that can trace itself back to Jesus himself.

Just starting a topic that all yall can turn into a rant if you like. I'm feeliing persnickity today.

Just as there are variations in the definition of "Christianity", so there are with Daoism. I think the discussion is more fruitful than any absolute statements. I think that a lot of people are misguided when they dismiss the Daoist religion as just "superstition". I also think that traditionalists are misguided when they say that no one who isn't Chinese and initiated into a recognized lineage should call themselves a "Daoist". The word itself is a Western invention more than anything else, so Westerners should be able to define it in a way that fits their experience.

What I am concerned about is that some folks tend to conflate the idea of "Daoism" with something that looks a lot like something from a Star Wars movie. Daoists are not "Jedi Knights" who manifest "the Force" but instead call it "qi". <_< I would suggest that instead a Daoist is someone who has personally identified with an ancient religious/philosophical tradition that makes some pretty radical statements about the universe, people's place within it, and, what is the best way to live.

I tell people "Im into Taoist stuff", meaning spiritual cultivation. I'd prefer to say cultivation, but not many people can grasp that in a hurry, and Taoist has less organized religion baggage connotations than Buddhism, though I could say I'm more into Buddhist methods and philosphy than Taoist.

I agree with De_Paradise. True Taoist is a loaded term, unless you're connected to a Taoist monastery and/or ordained :). True (anything) is more an invitation for a fight then a discussion, IMHO. No matter how orthodox you get..ordained, meditating 8 hours a day, there's always another similarly named org. that says you don't know nothing. :o

I practice things that can loosely be considered daoist cultivation, 5 element theory.. I often confuse taoism with Zen Buddhism, which I admire and non study along with other non sense. Without having a linear teacher everything I do is admittedly bastardized.

Michael

Just as there are variations in the definition of "Christianity", so there are with Daoism. I think the discussion is more fruitful than any absolute statements. I think that a lot of people are misguided when they dismiss the Daoist religion as just "superstition". I also think that traditionalists are misguided when they say that no one who isn't Chinese and initiated into a recognized lineage should call themselves a "Daoist". The word itself is a Western invention more than anything else, so Westerners should be able to define it in a way that fits their experience.

What I am concerned about is that some folks tend to conflate the idea of "Daoism" with something that looks a lot like something from a Star Wars movie. Daoists are not "Jedi Knights" who manifest "the Force" but instead call it "qi". <_< I would suggest that instead a Daoist is someone who has personally identified with an ancient religious/philosophical tradition that makes some pretty radical statements about the universe, people's place within it, and, what is the best way to live.

LOL,

I?

am?

Or wu?

Or N O T H I N G .

It's funny to me cuz most folks i know that would be called taoist

could care less what you call them!

...I still lovingly have lots of names for them still and all.

but that is another rant!

:rolleyes:

See ya!

Shon

Yur right, Darain!

Good day for a Rant!!!

Have fun!

Just starting a topic that all yall can turn into a rant if you like. I'm feeling persnickety today.

I think if people read Daoist classics, and genuinely try to understand and practice Daoism, then that makes them Daoists.

But for people who want to mix Daoist ideas with their own new age philosophies, or just think of Daoism as simple philosophy, or only practice Qigong and just want good health or super powers.... to me those people don't strike me as Daoists.

i'm not a taoist, and i have no intentions of ever becoming a taoist,

but i do my best to follow the Tao.

it's not about identity. in fact, i would argue that over-identification with ANYTHING gets in the way of the natural flow of the Tao in ones life.

i'm not a taoist, and i have no intentions of ever becoming a taoist,

but i do my best to follow the Tao.

it's not about identity. in fact, i would argue that over-identification with ANYTHING gets in the way of the natural flow of the Tao in ones life.

That is exactly how I feel...

Sign in to follow this