Sign in to follow this  
SFJane

See Jane Move

Did you speed up the part where you move real fast? :P;)

I don't have audio on school computers... When you perform a form like that real fast, are you still managing to push chi around, or are you just moving your body parts through the tai chi form really fast?

When I do tai chi (sorts of things...) I usually go realllllly slow, and often stop so I can indulge in the cultivated chi-field. If I go fast, I can't hold onto the 'force'.

Thanks for watching and for the comments guys.

Here is a link to the accompanying post on my blog.

Edit, give me a second to answer you findley,

Edited by SFJane

Did you speed up the part where you move real fast? :P;)

I don't have audio on school computers... When you perform a form like that real fast, are you still managing to push chi around, or are you just moving your body parts through the tai chi form really fast?

When I do tai chi (sorts of things...) I usually go realllllly slow, and often stop so I can indulge in the cultivated chi-field. If I go fast, I can't hold onto the 'force'.

If you noticed there were several *long moments* to show reallllly slow tai chi. At the risk of boring ADD and younger viewers I tried to keep them to a minimum.

I held Pi chuan, paused in brush knee and stood still with my arms in various positions.

My version of indulging in the cultivated chi field that results is really a series of processes. I continuously work on 3 bends, openings and closings of the spine and various internal alignments and stretching. For those of you with the eye the spinal pump is in everything I do regardless of the practice or the speed I do it at.

For that reason speeding up requires sometimes losing form and grace in order to maintain the internal expression and manifest power.

In other words, slow and graceful are not necessarily synonymous with power. I have some fantasies of being able to use this stuff to defend myself and have actually had the necessity to do so in the past. In order to fulfill those fantasies I make it my business to practice at all different varying speeds with the goal being to be able to express power over all else at maximum warp if need be.

Practicing slow is a great way to gain listening skill for the energy around you, it's great for that. If you don't actually try to ramp it up you won't know for sure if you can stay connected when it counts.

Regardless of whether or not I move super slow or fast the issuance is in some part coming from a complete spinal opening and closing and thus my poor body serves as a fleshy medium to crudely manifest this energy coming up from the ground, combining with my pelvis and dan tien and projecting through my limbs.

I did not speed any of it up either. B) That was pretty sluggish for me.

In all modesty the whole video was impromptu and done on the first take without warming up first. I've been sitting around writing a book and getting fat and not training as hard or as much.

To really tell for sure whether or not there is any useful jin coming from my limbs at higher speeds you would have to be pushing hands with me :)

Edited by SFJane

Great presentation Jane.

Your dedication and years of training are very obvious in this demo.

If I ever make it out to SF, I would like to look you up.

It would be fun to share!

Great video Jane! Thanks for sharing.

We're practically neighbors! I live in the North bay, in Novato.

Thanks for watching folks. I appreciate the feedback.

;)

If you folks, Bindo, Xuesheng anyone else happen to be passing by SF shoot me an email.

Please don't take this wrong, but the parade of passers by in the background were great :) Especially the dogs. Thanks for sharing, always enjoy your youtube stuff.

Hey Jane,

Thanks for posting that video...it is even creating a bit of a buzz over on Emptyflower. I did not know that you know Mo Ling! Wow, small world. If I ever make it up to San Francisco, maybe y'all can give me some pointers with my Tai Chi...Mo does Chen style, though, right? I do Yang, but it doesn't matter, as long as it follows the same principles, right?

You should do another one with more Bagua! Your curly hair goes good with the whole spiral effect. :D

Hello Jane,

thanks for posting your video, I hadn't realized how much I miss places like San Francisco and the Bay area. I lived for 31 years in Santa Cruz. One of my favorite restaurants is The Happy Immortal, located a few blocks from Golden Gate Park...

whom have you studied with? I'm curious if I know any of your teachers, even the bad ones. Do you know Bing Gong or Don Rubbo at all?

sorry I had missed the comment activity on Sunday.

Eric: Don't sweat it, I loved the dogs too.

Prince: I would not say I know Mo. We met courtesy of and only on, EF. I have read his posts and seen a few of his vids though. Maybe I will walk the circle with my hair totally loose and unbound. You will see some springy spirals manifesting aplenty :)

I just noticed the buzz part on Ef today from my blog software summary

Guanping: I have had perhaps dozens of teachers of differing abilities and experience. Some teachers were just students like myself and we exchanged techniques. A lot of teachers I just learned different forms from. Some of them were just locals and not very well known by others.

What made the difference in my training was learning how to train and what to train. What made the most effect on my practice was experiencing the teachings of Peter Ralston and his Chen Hsin and Ontology fighting and Taoist Energy Arts with Bruce Frantzis. During my early 20s I basically lived very poorly and I used most of my spare cash for my internal arts habit.

I have had the good fortune of doing a little aikido with Steven Seagal's disciple Larry Reynosa. I had the good fortune to train with Shinto priest and 8th dan aikidoka Rev. Koichi Barrish as well as sensei John Smart.

I have trained a little with a beginner student of Master Henry Look's I Chuan

Also learned some yang tai chi attending Master Bill Chin's outdoor GG Park tai chi class and during that time frame I was lucky enough to encounter Master George Xu practicing solo. I introduced myself and more or less challenged him and he gave me a 15 minute impromptu lesson in getting owned. I had no idea until like weeks later that he was the George Xu. But I learned a lot in that 15 minutes let me tell you.

Woops.

Most of my teachers were in the greater Bay Area or Sacramento area. Some I can't name because I periodically talk smack about them. Others few would recognize or it would cause uncomfortable moments if it were to come up later.

That said I learned the most important things about internals and how to practice from my brief exposure to Peter Ralston and Bruce Frantzis.

Sorry I have never heard of Mr Bing or Mr Rubbo

Thanks again for the views, for commenting and your questions.

Remember that you are more than welcome to shoot me an email if you come to SF. If I can give pointers I will. I am still learning stuff too, you never know I might ask you to teach me something :)

take care for now gang!

Edited by SFJane

and during that time frame I was lucky enough to encounter Master George Xu practicing solo. I introduced myself and more or less challenged him and he gave me a 15 minute impromptu lesson in getting owned. I had no idea until like weeks later that he was the George Xu. But I learned a lot in that 15 minutes let me tell you.

Woops.

RAOTFLMAO

I love it!

I wish I would have had the opportunity to make a Woops like that... brilliant!

I guess his skill can be seen by the fact that you didn't mention any fractures...

RAOTFLMAO

I love it!

I wish I would have had the opportunity to make a Woops like that... brilliant!

I guess his skill can be seen by the fact that you didn't mention any fractures...

No fractures but towards the end when we pushed hands he put on a burst of speed and broke through my defense. I was just fast enough to avoid the brunt of it but I did not get out of my own way and actually cut my lower lip with the edge of my thumb nail. A single drop of blood beaded on my lip as I enthusiastically shook his hand and thanked him for the lesson.

It was exciting!

The George Xu story was great. I have taken a few workshops from him, he has some of the most fluid bagua stepping I have ever seen. His brother is supposed to be a better teacher, more accessible. I salute your chutzpa for approaching him.

I have never met Peter Ralston, just some of his students. And I have taken classes from Bruce and Henry Look.

Bing Gong, Don Rubbo, and Henry Look were all students of Kuo Lien Ying. Kuo was responsible for smuggling Mr and Mrs Ou (?) out of China and the popularity of I-chuan training in the Bay area. His wife still teaches at San Francisco State.

Were you at one time the assistant when Bruce taught in Berkeley? I seem to recall a woman helping him teach the water method qigong and some other classes.

The George Xu story was great. I have taken a few workshops from him, he has some of the most fluid bagua stepping I have ever seen. His brother is supposed to be a better teacher, more accessible. I salute your chutzpa for approaching him.

I have never met Peter Ralston, just some of his students. And I have taken classes from Bruce and Henry Look.

Bing Gong, Don Rubbo, and Henry Look were all students of Kuo Lien Ying. Kuo was responsible for smuggling Mr and Mrs Ou (?) out of China and the popularity of I-chuan training in the Bay area. His wife still teaches at San Francisco State.

Were you at one time the assistant when Bruce taught in Berkeley? I seem to recall a woman helping him teach the water method qigong and some other classes.

Peter has an interesting body. The quality of his students varies widely. He has this one student, looks a big irishman, hugely strong that was pretty impressive too. I don't remember his name though.

You might be thinking of Dorothy perhaps? I have never assisted BKF or his org in any way. I was pretty anti social back then and tried to be innocuous usually. I was just a paying customer.

I have met Mr Look I think once or twice and it was very fascinating. He turned me down as a student actually. Because he had a certain way of teaching things and he knew what Kumar was teaching at the time. He told me just to stick with him. He basically thought I would be seriously disruptive and he was right. Because I was a little anti social at that time :P

You know the older I get and the longer I practice this stuff the more I have come to realize that I chuan is the answer to everything. As much as I love the tai chi and ba gua, I can do that with my mind now and I can do that standing still. I can't entirely put it into words at the moment. They seem like accessories now. I can just make it happen inside and the physicality of it is actually impeding me real time. I don't know if that makes any sense at all. If I were a jellyfish it would be easier to show you what I mean.

Edited by SFJane

Jane,

Starting at about 14:20 there are some vigorous moves going from fast to slow and slow to fast, can you talk a little about these motions? They are vaguely familiar.

Thanks, Dave

edit: found the familiar

SpNhr5DWxqA

Edited by Spectrum

Hey Dave,

Not sure what to tell you to be honest. I was not entirely sure where you meant exactly time wise. After several watchings the entire routine looks awfully Shaolinesque. My first thought was withing seconds of the first watch was that I was viewing something *external* done with several internalesque attributes. Not my realm of experience really.

Typically in my mind, slowings in external arts are to change the frequency of breathing, to synch something up, to increase either tension or relaxation, to perform an open or close or to direct chi first.

Great place to train though. Would love to train there for a few weeks just for the vibes

Sorry Jane that was 14:20 on your video, not mine. There are a number of movements that you are performing at different speeds. Your reflections are appreciated. You are correct it is shaolinesque and more external what I posted.

Kind Regads,

Dave

Sorry Jane that was 14:20 on your video, not mine. There are a number of movements that you are performing at different speeds. Your reflections are appreciated. You are correct it is shaolinesque and more external what I posted.

Kind Regads,

Dave

Dear Dave,

the movements that I did were the beginnings of a chen TCC routine

hope that helps

Thanks so much. Chen style does look... Shaolinesque.

Edited by Spectrum

Sign in to follow this