Sign in to follow this  
SFJane

meditation FAQs I get and my answers to them

Hey Bums

So.

I have been meaning to take a break from blogging and vlogging in order to finish up an important project starting this month.

Before I did that I wanted to answer a lot of questions I get asked a lot.

I decided to post a link to a post on my personal blog. That post is a kind of index and explanation of meditation talks I have made thus far. At least those that are still up or recently uploaded versus some of the older vids that are not up any more.

Meditation videos, you asked, I delivered.

Of possible interest to some of you folks I cover

Can you meditate on drugs?

How do you use meditation to determine if you are possessed and how to deal with that and the results.

After many requests a Beginners meditation video

and perhaps most controversially I answered several meditation related questions all in one video

covering

what is meditation, really?

what is the best kind of meditation? /duck /firewalled

do you need a teacher? why? why not?

do you need a sangha?why why not?

what is the origin of meditation?

how did I (Jane) learn meditation?

including my opinions on everything from bliss states, psychic powers and guided visualizations to what meditation system the Buddha learned and my thoughts on enlightenment with a capital E

Anyhow, like with anything else I expect some folks to agree strongly, disagree strongly and perhaps both at different times.

You can comment here, on my blog or on the vids if you want to.

I will try to get back to people on specific things as time allows. I probably won't respond to abusive comments. I enjoy video responses and good arguments. If you have major doctrinal disagreements with me, remember persuasive speech and logic, not ad homs and straw men are what create a discussion.

Fair warning several of those vids are tl dr about an hour or so.

Thanks, Jane!

i just watched your most recent video- Meditation: best kinds, finding teachers, origins of.

loved it! i'll be sending a link to it to a number of my folks.

what i love most about it is how you clarified what it means to choose a tradition and then commit to the practice. many folks hear that from somewhere or read that in a book and think that they have to join a religion or something. it's not about being a joiner; it's about being rooted and consistent in your core practice & philosophy, no matter what else you may like to play with.

i don't think i've ever explained this as clearly as it comes across in your video. i'm gonna send it to some of my peeps.

You guys are very welcome! I am glad it helped and or gave you things to think about :)

You guys are very welcome! I am glad it helped and or gave you things to think about :)

I watched one of your youtube vids back in December when I was still in San Diego. I just watched the beginning Meditation video about an hour ago. Thanks for doing this...it's cool that you're here on TB, I had questions to ask you last year when I first saw one of your videos!

Thanks for doing this for those of us just starting out!

Sign in to follow this