Sign in to follow this  
Gareth_W

Fate: Does Everything in Life Happen for a Reason?

Do you really believe that all things in life happen for a pre-determined reason?

Is there really such a thing as Fate or Destiny?

:huh:

Edited by Gareth_W

Do you really believe that all things in life happen for a pre-determined reason?

???

Both fate, and free will are true. Everything that is, was or ever could be exists. All possible futures, pasts and presents, for all possible people, at all possible times, in all possible worlds, in all possible universes.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showtopic=3353 read my last post to see what I mean.

Edited by mwight

???

Fate for me holds inherent dogma about reality, and as such is not very interesting.

You don't have to go any further than our own David Hume:

There is no such thing as reasons for something happening per se.

But sometimes we apply reasons for life to make sense.

Nihilism. Naah...

What is more interesting than why things happen is that they do happen.

I am told that people who are sensitive to their feelings have found that their experiences follow their vibrational state. I like to believe that's true.

There are many theories surrounding fate, destiny and free will.

Two of the most popular theories include:

- All is predetermined and there is just an illusion of free will, although we see all our decisions as being made by ourselves this is simply part of the act we play as individuals;

- Nothing is predetermined and everything happens due to the circumstances arisen from previous events.

Although my personal experience points to the former of those statements to be true, I would certainly not expect anyone else to think the same unless their experience taught them so too. I would venture to say, however, that which ever one believes doesn't really matter as the outcome will ultimately be the same.

A deception of free will or the real deal still means that we, as individuals, think there is free will. Whether it's an illusion or not is neither here nor there because it is what we experience. "Be a light unto yourselves," is something Buddha famously said on his deathbed and I for one lead my life by this (though I was initially taught this by science and logic, rather than spiritual teachings - which to me at the time seemed more like blind faith).

Unfortunately the latter of those statements requires belief in past lives - a stipulation on my part.

Yours humbly,

James

You know, if you get into I ching theory...

There are varying degree's to which a person may be subject to 'fate' (or the heavens,) at any given time, (yi.) -Sometimes a person's experience will be dictated more by his own will than by heaven.

-Sometimes Heaven will over-rule the will of the individual.

so it's not a 'set' dichotomy. Even this is in flux. cool, huh?

You know, if you get into I ching theory...

There are varying degree's to which a person may be subject to 'fate' (or the heavens,) at any given time, (yi.) -Sometimes a person's experience will be dictated more by his own will than by heaven.

-Sometimes Heaven will over-rule the will of the individual.

so it's not a 'set' dichotomy. Even this is in flux. cool, huh?

this I find interesting can you tell me :blink:

what circumstances influence whether fate or will dictates?

Rain,

I think it is dependent on whatever 'hexagram(s)' and/or changing lines is/are dominating whatever experience (yi) you are having at that given moment.

don't know which ones, specifically.

Sign in to follow this