Sign in to follow this  
TimBlack

Make your own Tai Chi?

In the days of old, the Masters watched the animals and their movements, they developed styles of movement used in the martial arts and perfected them.

For the sake of discussion, could a person meet with relative success if they stood in Wu Chi and then practiced their own forms, creating a style of Tai Chi developed to their own personal style?

http:/www.tao1776.blogspot.com

Ken Cohen in Way of Qigong says that spontaneous movement is a very effective form of qigong--b/c you know what you need and you get it.

-Yoda

In the days of old, the Masters watched the animals and their movements, they developed styles of movement used in the martial arts and perfected them.

For the sake of discussion, could a person meet with relative success if they stood in Wu Chi and then practiced their own forms, creating a style of Tai Chi developed to their own personal style?

http:/www.tao1776.blogspot.com

5074[/snapback]

I think that more likely watching animals will be an analogy of sorts to show you some of the internal aspects of the arts..... it would be more likely to incorporate animals into an ongoing practice..... of course all the while that you are getting to know your personal style and body and what it does best.

I have found that the different animals can show you alot of the internal movemnets and how to put them into effect. One style that seems very animalistic is the chen tai chi.... very snake like in that theres alot of writing and opening and closing in your movement...

.....which leads to a twist on your question....have you ever heard the theory that the forms and all come from shamanic animal dances that either were martial/healing forms or developed into them? I mean the early chinese shamans and tribes were doing like the animal dances of our shamans here in america.... which i have understood have qigong/martial aspects as well.

which leads to a question for you magickaly inclined bums.... have you tried and what sort of results have you got from the animal spirits towards harmonious living in general and martial arts in particular..... what about other kinds of magick if you want to call it that?

and what is more is that these various healing and martial qigongs are seeming to do a good job at puting you in your body, making you a more connected animal which seems to really bug out other kinds of animals. i guess they are thrown off to be really communicating with a human on a more conciliar and connected level.

Before inventing a new style of tai chi or chi kung, I think there are a few prereqs. First, you should have an understanding of polariy. Squating is very important in polarity. The tai chi/chi kung today does little to help us with squating and realling opening the stagnant energy in the kua.

Second, all these forms DID indeed originate from shamans. The shamans are the people who create all new thoughts, pretty much. We control the universe, not you.

Third, the form should direct the energy in a way that is very harmonious, different people need different chi kungs.

Fifth, when you invent the new style, make sure you give it a cool name.

Sixth, consider not using fighting applications yet.

And it may help to use a video camera so when you get into the zone and really get into the perfect sequence that can only come in that moment, you will have a copy of it to see and return to that.

And remember, it is about returning to WU CHI. THE SUPREME UNKNOWN PRIMORDIAL DARK MATTER.

thats my 2 cents :lol:

Before inventing a new style of tai chi or chi kung, I think there are a few prereqs. First, you should have an understanding of polariy. Squating is very important in polarity. The tai chi/chi kung today does little to help us with squating and realling opening the stagnant energy in the kua.

And remember, it is about returning to WU CHI. THE SUPREME UNKNOWN PRIMORDIAL DARK MATTER.

thats my 2 cents :lol:

5091[/snapback]

amen and amen!

every teacher out there has effectively created their own style.

every practitioner creates their own style.

you cannot ever practice anyone else style because you are not someone else.

so yes i think that were you to open your mind and study a wide variety of techniques and styles that other people teach you will obviously have your own style of each of these but you can go even further and develop movements you created yourself. why not?

i mean what is chi kung anyways??? beathing and moving.... breathing and moving.... that's all it is. doing so moves the flow of energy in the body, which you can also do with your mind.

what does it matter whether you do it how one person says or another or how you decide to yourself?

there are thousands of different styles out there because there are thousands of different people and personalities out there practicing.

in the end the way you really move is irrelevant, it's the intent and motivation behind it. the clarity within yourself.... and your karma.

yeah and it should purify all the organs and glands, gots to have a STRONG shen component rather than being too physical, has to have a logical order

could a person meet with relative success if they stood in Wu Chi and then practiced their own forms, creating a style of Tai Chi developed to their own personal style?

5074[/snapback]

Experimentation is a very important part of learning, whether entirely on your own or as part of studying within a system. And, if you're on your own, its likely that you could enjoy some learning, some integration. And its worth while, rewarding even; there are lots and lots of people cultivating on their own (well, at least qi gong and cultivation in general).

But what gets produced, compared to learning within an authentic lineage of Tai Chi (or Xing Yi, or Ba Gua), there's no comparison. There just isn't. And I'm not just saying the orthodox line, here; this is based on observation.

Great answers, observations and guidance...I must think further on these things. I will share with you my own observations and measure of success and failure with this. I learned a short Mantak Chia (sp?) form that appeared to make me feel like a man with constipation more than anything else. Practice with no thought of reward or outcome made me more constipated :huh: The best thing to come of the practice was Wu Chi. To quote my latest I Ching reading;

"Xiao Chu is the dark silence of a calm soul, the place where wei wu wei originates. Here lives a natural responsibility to do what is right, trusting the path of non-action and the power of clinging to the truth. Being content with the small gains achieved. Modestly accepting the slow way in which nature works gives others the space to discover where their path lies, and their self-interest in following it. If there is doubt in oneself, it will be subconsciously perceived by others, inhibiting our having a good effect."

Sign in to follow this