Patrick Brown

Beyond Duality

There is far too much talk about balancing opposites and duality. The truth is that duality is only apparent and simply ensnares the mind in paradox. Yes we're so clever! No ensnared by our minds through erroneous distinctions of this and that.

THERE IS NO DUALITY

Duality is a mind job! Drop duality and you drop the illusion of death and rebirth. Realise that there is only the flow.

YYLines.gif

YingYang4.gif

yin-yang.jpg

DiaryofaMystic21.jpg

For fucks sake!

I love a good stabbing! :lol:

No, you don't. The last time I asked you this you said that you wouldn't let yourself be stabbed.

I'll stab you duality or not!!! <_<

Yes get rid of Yin Yang concept and you will be doing Wun Yuen Gong (Hun Yuan Gong) which is what my system is based on, before duality! But inside the sphere lies all which is Yin Yang, 3 treasures, 5 elements, 8 triagrams!!! :) Everything comes from Wun Yuen hahahaha oh i feel the love tonight!

WUN YUEN GONG :D

Now, i was just stirring the pot alittle did anyone see the opening of the Olympics wasnt it fantastic?

WYG

No, you don't. The last time I asked you this you said that you wouldn't let yourself be stabbed.

Breaking the cycle of death and rebirth has nothing to do with the death of our physical body. Perhaps you missed the humour in my post relating to stabbing? :huh:

Now, i was just stirring the pot alittle did anyone see the opening of the Olympics wasnt it fantastic?

Err no not really.

Breaking the cycle of death and rebirth has nothing to do with the death of our physical body.

Oh really? Then what does it have to do with?

In truth non-duality are merely empty words which have about as much value as horse shit to most of us.

Perhaps you missed the humour in my post relating to stabbing? :huh:

No, I saw it, but I was being serious. :)

In truth non-duality are merely empty words which have about as much value as horse shit to most of us.

Off you go to work to earn some money so you can buy your new shiny car. I'm being serious.

Off you go to work to earn some money so you can buy your new shiny car. I'm being serious.

Well you may be serious but obviously you aren't clairvoyant....

So please explain how you arrived at such a conclusion?

So please explain how you arrived at such a conclusion?

I'm not saying that there is no such thing. But it's one thing to talk about it, and quite another to have actual knowledge, actual realization of it. And unless we have that, we have to abide according to dualistic ways and be mindful of karma, since non-duality is nothing but a concept. Saying or thinking "there is no duality" doesn't make it so. I think if you really understood non-duality it wouldn't matter so much if you live or die. You also wouldn't get upset so much so quickly about various things. After all, we could say what is there to be upset about? So it's quite obvious we don't have this knowledge in a concrete way.

In other words, talking about non-duality doesn't do much for us. Because for all the talk about it, we still have to go to work, school, eat, shit, look both ways when crossing the road, be careful not to touch hot things with bare hands, and our mind and emotions run rampant controlling our lives and so on and so on.

I'm not saying that there is no such thing. But it's one thing to talk about it, and quite another to have actual knowledge, actual realization of it.
Absolutely Pero! There's a Tibetan saying that goes something like this:"Do not mistake intellectual understanding, for realisation, and, do not mistake realisation, for enlightenment." (funny, these sayings always seem to be Tibetan :rolleyes: ).

I think that a better way to 'say' it is:

yin-yang, duality, and the 10,000 things that spread forth from this,

They exist in their illusory capacity. You're right in that ultimately, they are not real-- but we are creatures who dwell in the illusory existence of things.

-To not accept this as fundamental to our reality, that we are creatures born of and into this 'illusory' quality of existence, would be to resist the flux of Tao.

So, duality exists as much as you do. It is as real as your post.

It takes a sage to truly appreciate ultimate reality.

Duality come from attachments, is that good our bad depends what you are attached to. We already live in a duality world but doing cultivation we return back to the One where there is no duality that is the whole purpose! :rolleyes:

Has anyone read the book 'Halfway up the Mountain'? I cant remember the womans name who wrote it, but it deals Lots with the typical 'half baked' Advaitins and others from similar philosophy's. I think the subtitle was ...premature claims to enlightenment.

Its a fascinating topic, especially with systems like Advaita floating around in the west, removed from the traditional teaching structures and controls or safety mechanism that stop Non dual Ego mania or mistaking the menu for the meal. Advaita teaches anyone who learns the lingo to argue like a non-dual Master, but funnily thats all they ever seem to do - Argue (and sit around all day in the smug glow of someone who thinks they know better than everyone else)

Sorry Patric this isn't directed at you at all, and I LOVE Non Dual teachings, the subject just came up in the thread and its one I find particularly interesting.

Seth.

I know, I know, we do a lot of arguing here at Tao Bums as well but at least we aren't living with the delusion that 'we don't have to do anything cause it's all one'

God! wait a second are telling me I'm already perfect and the works already done?!?

Cool! sitting round all day is looking more and more attractive...

Has anyone read the book 'Halfway up the Mountain'? I cant remember the womans name who wrote it, but it deals Lots with the typical 'half baked' Advaitins and others from similar philosophy's. I think the subtitle was ...premature claims to enlightenment.

Thats a wonderful book! Real heavy reading though. Kick our beliefsystem-butts about enlightenment right out the window!

Mariana Caplan wrote it.

If reading Jed McKenna makes you angry, you definately should go on to read Halfway up the Mountain to really get in toutch with your agression(if you see what I mean) :)

She's the one! She also wrote 'Do you Need a guru?' which I loved as well. Two legendary, Highly informative works for cutting through Da Crap!

Seth