Pranaman

8 Exercises of Master Li Ching-Yun

Thanks for that. But this Taoist was also a Bagua master hence his longevity and suppleness. ;)

so it will be a good edition to my life-long taiji and eventual pa kua training?

I can only recommend the teaching material of Stuart Alve Olson. You can find out more about the DVDs etc. here (including video clips):

www.phoenixtaoistcenter.com

I've often wondered about his exercises. From what I have read about him, he was taught exercises called "Bagua". Some people say that he practiced Baguazhang, but I'm not sure if this is true. Considering the date at which he is said to have learned the exercises, Baguazhang wouldn't have existed. I've tended to think that his Bagua exercises were a form of Qigong...

"What was the secret to his longevity? When he was 130 years old, he encountered a very old man in the mountains. This man claimed to be 500 years old and attributed his longevity to having practiced a set of exercises similar to Tai Chi Ch'uan. Called Ba-Kua, they included specific sounds, breathing instructions, dietary, and herbal recommendations. The mountain hermit taught these to Li Ch'ing Yuen and he taught them to Da Liu."

styrofoamdog

Sounds good is that what is in the book?

WYG

I'm not sure exactly what is in the book, other than that it teaches a variation of the Baduanjin (Eight Pieces of Brocade qigong). I've never read the book before, although it sounds interesting.

The quote is just from a web page relating information given by Da Liu, who apparently learned from Li Ching Yuen.

http://www.chinahand.com/qigong/from_da_liu.htm

I think your money would be better spent on Da Liu's book "The Tao of Health and Longevity". It has the 8 brocade plus some other interesting taoist exercises. I have read the previous edition "taoist health exercise book" which is basically the same. It's interesting but probably not the best for self instruction but still not bad.

Edited by Hua Dao