Sign in to follow this  
Mattimo

Opinion on Stephen Hwa

Hi all,

I have recently been attracted to the elegance and power of tai-chi / qi-gong practices. I would like to know if anyone has any opinions on "master" Stephen Hwa. I am contemplating buying some of his DVDs: http://www.classicaltaichi.com/

Thanks!

Hi all,

I have recently been attracted to the elegance and power of tai-chi / qi-gong practices. I would like to know if anyone has any opinions on "master" Stephen Hwa. I am contemplating buying some of his DVDs: http://www.classicaltaichi.com/

Thanks!

Hi, I've been learning Tai Chi from his videos and would definitely reccomend them. The best Tai Chi form I've practised .

Hi all,

Thanks!

Hello Mattimo,

I have been doing classical tai chi for six years or so. I had practiced various Yang family styles since the early eighties. To put it bluntly I have never experienced anything like Master Hwa's forms and I have found the dvds to be great teaching materials. I have learned the whole form left and right sides as well as square form. The compression in the abdomen created in doing the internal discipline or nei gong creates a very natural great feeling analogous to reverse breathing there. The lower back is wonderfully exercised through the internal discipline as well. The separation of yin/yang in the legs and arms is taught very clearly.

Anyway mention must be made of the man himself, and generous comes to mind here. He travels around the country at times. He is retired from his profession. If there are students in those areas where he happens to be traveling he will offer them free private lessons. He recently had a seventy fifth birthday celebration and he offered a weekend of free tai chi, push hand workshops to those of us who could get there. He even bought us lunch. Then there was the birthday dinner which was also free. His lineage goes back to Wu chien chuan. Master Hwa's teacher, Young Wa bu was a primary student of Wu's. Young lived to be just over one hundred. and was still practicing. This approach is very Taoist, internal cultivation. There is no discussion of theory so much as direct perception of whatever experiences one has. It is more in the line of chuang tsu rather than qi gong. No separate qi gong necessary. The martial side is purely self defensive but is not so emphasized although it is there.

The forms are medium frame leading to small frame. The idea being that as we progress from large forms to smaller, the movements emphasize the internal and the core of the body, learning to circle and spiral there.

I can't recommend this highly enough, and I have to admit, I am biased in my recommendations. I hope I can learn to be as generous as master Hwa.

Bill

Hello Mattimo,

I have been doing classical tai chi for six years or so. I had practiced various Yang family styles since the early eighties. To put it bluntly I have never experienced anything like Master Hwa's forms and I have found the dvds to be great teaching materials. I have learned the whole form left and right sides as well as square form. The compression in the abdomen created in doing the internal discipline or nei gong creates a very natural great feeling analogous to reverse breathing there. The lower back is wonderfully exercised through the internal discipline as well. The separation of yin/yang in the legs and arms is taught very clearly.

Anyway mention must be made of the man himself, and generous comes to mind here. He travels around the country at times. He is retired from his profession. If there are students in those areas where he happens to be traveling he will offer them free private lessons. He recently had a seventy fifth birthday celebration and he offered a weekend of free tai chi, push hand workshops to those of us who could get there. He even bought us lunch. Then there was the birthday dinner which was also free. His lineage goes back to Wu chien chuan. Master Hwa's teacher, Young Wa bu was a primary student of Wu's. Young lived to be just over one hundred. and was still practicing. This approach is very Taoist, internal cultivation. There is no discussion of theory so much as direct perception of whatever experiences one has. It is more in the line of chuang tsu rather than qi gong. No separate qi gong necessary. The martial side is purely self defensive but is not so emphasized although it is there.

The forms are medium frame leading to small frame. The idea being that as we progress from large forms to smaller, the movements emphasize the internal and the core of the body, learning to circle and spiral there.

I can't recommend this highly enough, and I have to admit, I am biased in my recommendations. I hope I can learn to be as generous as master Hwa.

Bill

Excellent, thank you for your valuable insight. I have already ordered the introductory DVD. From the Youtube videos I have seen of Master Hwa, his approach does indeed seem very methodical and scientific. One thing that I believe discredits Tai-Chi in the eyes of the masses is the overemphasis on the so-called mystical aspects such as chi. I, therefore, appreciate Master Hwa's approach in that he leaves the esoteric aspects for students to experience. I believe his approach may be more appealing for Western minds.

Can't wait for the DVD to come!

Sign in to follow this