mantis

the warrior diet

I guess "bigu" should be called the "lover's diet" as yesterday I had a very hard time getting hungry since I was having SO MANY "O at a Ds" while in full-lotus. haha. Then this circular indentation appeared in the middle of my forehead -- right in the "third eye" spot. It was like a skull depression, circular, about half the size of a quarter. haha. The magnetic fields coming out of the pineal gland were really strong and I was just laughing it up with my buddy bert.

The Lover's Diet: http://online.sagepub.com/cgi/searchresult...p;fulltext=bigu

Then last night I had tears of joy (woke up at 4 a.m. and sat in full-lotus to WOMEN OF AFRICA oxfam c.d. on repeat all night).

Mantis, is that 160 lbs or kg? If lbs, I'm not sure where you got the impression that 2,880 kCals per day equaled maintenance. That's more of a bulking diet. If your general goal is to shed body fat, you'd be looking at something closer to bodyweight times 10 in kCals per day, or in your case 1,600.

Where did you get this information?

You ever see the The Matrix Reloaded? Where they talk about cause and effect? Well its more of a underlying rule that applies to all. In this case it applies very well to language. I'll give you a small example, I say the phrase "I need water" Rings not so true. Its a little different if you experienced someone saying "I need water" because of course there is circumstances that you obviously in person are experiencing it. Its a big difference to put it in words than it is to explain through one on one interaction when the circomstances of the situation are properly understood. For example, Vigilant3 I personally don't remember Mantis saying his goal was to shed of body fat.

While if i say "I need water to live" here it rings a little more true. But the problem with language is simply for people to properly understand what your saying you need to be very descriptive or give as many details about the circumstance as possible. How about I say, "I will die if i go without water for about 2 weeks" Even this is not very descriptive enough because you also get water substance from food, It could go on and on. This is also why people say something they learned to be a fact can often times found to be wrong. Because people don't understand the circumstances the fact rings true in.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that 2,880 kCals per day equaled maintenance.

This is completely and totally dependent on how much Calories Mantis burns per day. Thats how you could get it 2,880. I used to work out and burn so many calories that I would need 3,200-3,400 (ranges on the day) per day to maintain my body weight. The healthier the food was the harder it was to eat 3,200 per day. Honestly its hard when most of your day consists of exercise and going to school. The little time you have left is buying the healthiest food I could get and cooking it. I weighed at the time 165 LB and it was hard to keep that up. Very hard for me. If i eat anything less than 2,800 calories in one day I would get sick, literally. If I didn't do enough cardio or continuous form practice (repeating my martial arts form a bunch of times consecutively, which is also cardio) I would also get sick. So instead I had to let go of some weight. I would consistently going back and forth from 155 through 165.

Although The next step was the change me having 4 meals with two small snacks a day to trying out having 5 or 6 meals a day, with 3 snacks a day.

I also had to keep on me some CLIF Nectar bars on me if i got really low on energy or if my insulin dropped to low for whatever life circumstances happened, where i missed a snack or a meal or something.

Your BMI is a useless and inaccurate measure of health and overall fitness. For those of you concerned with body composition,

Agreed, and *cries like a little baby* Thats what I said.

Also insulin is a very plays a very important part in gaining and losing weight. From the healthy physical side of weight training, conditioning and composition, in todays modern way to gain and lose weight through cardio and weight lifting.

Vigilant3, i also am wondering where nomad gets his or her information from. Although some of the things he said seems to make complete sense with what I'm personally studied. The general problem he talks about something I have no clue and can not comment on. I rather read up and learn myself if there is something I could learn.

Nomad where do you get your information from?

YEAH - go ahead and fear fruit! You will become a pansy then. I eat fruit all the time and have a 6% body fat, but I don't eat grains. I get my carbs from fruit and vegetables. Fruit has more than just sugar in them, cakes do not!

NO ONE is going to get fat eating fruit. Quit reading the grain industry's propaganda that you see everywhere and just eat fruit. This is why America has its obesity epidemic.

.....Also, you need to look at the calcium that fruit has. Calcium improves insulin sensitivity - you're looking at things too narrowly. Again, no one has ever gotten fat from eating fruit. Eat bananas all the time like a chimp and you're fine.

Bananas are also rich in B6 and tryptophan - precursor to the wakefulness neurotransmitter 'serotonin'.

Edited by nomad

Ok Guys there is nothing wrong with fructose as part of a whole fruit,

it is bad bad bad when separated out and used as a sweetener.

I eat 2 meals a day - first one about 2pm

second one any where from 6:30 to 7:30.

I drink water when I wake up.

I used to think I had to eat every few hours to keep my blood sugar up.

If you are eating properly that is not necessary

I mainly eat fruit and vegetables.

Maybe some grain once a week.

Breakfast - brunch = blended green salad followed by fruit salad and nuts

Dinner = large salad + steamed vegetables.

I finished reading the book "The warrior's diet"....the main points that I understood, is fasting, cutting the carbs and eating one main meal per day....I have to try it. Lets see how much time it will take for me to get adjusted. If anyoen read the book, do the recipes in the book are for one person? because 1.5lbs is 600 gram, thats big portion.

Yes, we as humans should stay low on carbs (just fruits). if all humans stay low on carbs, then they will become leaner...although genetics plays a big role on a person's appearance, metabolism, etc...

What the heck is all this low on carbs stuff coming from?

Honestly my opinion is get the right carbs. Refined carbs are not the right carbs. Its easier from Fruit to get non refined carbs. But eating things it ins whole form. Whole Wheat. Whole grains (i.e. Brown Rice) shouldn't honestly give you bad results. The carbs from most fruits are slightly different compared to stone ground whole wheat. I mean this is "classical what to eat 101". I mean its important to follow But i believe most people would already know this information now the USDA is more properly advocating int his direction. I mean honestly its even became American trend of what to eat. Its not rocket science. What seems to amaze me is that the market for refined foods are still widely available AND PEOPLE CONTINUE TO EAT THEM... specially our children or younger. I mean common, another big thing that they haven't strongly started advocating (At least the USDA) but is also becoming more popular and i believe many TCM agrees is preservatives, and how rediculously horrible they are for the body.

Now, I'm nothing special but i've eatten 100% Organic foods for 9 months, eating only whole grains, unprocessed foods. All the food i consumed at least 80% of it was free from preservatives. When i stopped the diet the food restraunt i went to and ate deep fried food... My stomach didn't handle it a about 15-25 minutes after i ate it. I started feeling sick from it about an hour later. I would get sick on regular foods.

I later learned that in agriculture the way to raise crops and that most of the veggies and fruids we buy in the stores are depleated of micro nutrients. This is caused from the way they raise up crops in the same soil. In the end i realized it was time for me to grow my own food. Learn from there although... it requires mass amounts of studying and it requires a lot more i could handle on my plate at the time.

I honestly suggest read and study a bunch about this stuff before you go around posting about how you know this and that fact... if you have questions thats a different story... but i still think people should try and research about the information before they ask a question related.

Thank you for your advise....with the informations you gave, its obvious that you know about the main digestive enzymes that we humans possess...my point is from there....and I am against all the grains...at least human physiology gives hint about that...but am sorry that I don't need much study about it.

Just wanted to add for those of us who are into science that a new study appeard on the effects of diets.

The low carb seem to have come out the best. It was a 2 years study, very serious.

Pietro

P.S Drew, for as much doubt I have in your way of reching conclusions out of intuitions and partial informations, I have a lot of respect for the work you seem to be doing. Also in the primal diet you are not supposed to eat any salt.

But are you sure you should eat 'canned' vegetables. I personally would only expect canned enlightenment from that stuff :lol:

2008_Weight_Loss_with_a_Low_Carbohydrate.pdf

Just wanted to add for those of us who are into science that a new study appeard on the effects of diets.

The low carb seem to have come out the best. It was a 2 years study, very serious.

Pietro

P.S Drew, for as much doubt I have in your way of reching conclusions out of intuitions and partial informations, I have a lot of respect for the work you seem to be doing. Also in the primal diet you are not supposed to eat any salt.

But are you sure you should eat 'canned' vegetables. I personally would only expect canned enlightenment from that stuff :lol:

I have a question. Can smb clarify this for me pls 'cause I never understood why are people changing there diets. I understand the sick people have to change their food because some organs don't function properly anymore. But seriously if you are not sick why would anybody do all this research and changes in your daily food?

Thank you.

I have a question. Can smb clarify this for me pls 'cause I never understood why are people changing there diets. I understand the sick people have to change their food because some organs don't function properly anymore. But seriously if you are not sick why would anybody do all this research and changes in your daily food?

Thank you.

I think most people intuitively know that how they eat is not based on anything rational. It is more often based on what our parents fed us or probably even more often is that coupled with our own emotional eating patterns. And once we find ourselves on a new path for spirituality, moral code or physical training we wake up to this.

I know that once, and this has happened more than once, I awoke to a different way of seeing the world and how I wanted to be in the world it gave me incentive to ask if I am doing everything I can to optimize my existence. My food consumption is just one aspect of that.

If someone is attempting to reduce fat bulid-up or become overall leaner, then most people will need to look at what they are eating, not just exercise.

And it is about different ideas as well. I have read plenty about the Taoist texts that talk about completely avoiding grains. Which can make sense if you realize that grains are a relatively new introduction to the human diet. Many Buddhists practice some level of vegetarianism to avoid harming(killing) living beings. I could go on and on based on whatever a person is trying to accomplish either spiritually or just physically.

wow 160kg!? that's 352 lbs lol !

the anabolic diet says 18 calories x lbs for the maintenance phase (3 to 4 weeks) then you can either bulk from there (add) or go on a cut (decrease) for your goal.

Yah I was hoping it wasn't 160 kg :)

That recommendation is for bodybuilding level athletes from what I understand

DiPasquale also has a book called the Radical diet, I can post it if you like in ebook format.

I would recommend checking out http://www.precisionnutrition.com and looking at Dr. John Berardi's work

Also http://www.lifestylechangeonline.com is great for having a diet made for your personal goals

Where did you get this information?

Vigilant3 I personally don't remember Mantis saying his goal was to shed of body fat.

Notice I wrote "IF" your intent is to shed body fat.

Also based on the caloric values mentioned, and the fact that mantis claims he eats too much, it is clear he isn't expending over 2800 calories per day through sheer exercise.

It's a matter of deduction and common sense; nothing to do with language.

YEAH - go ahead and fear fruit! You will become a pansy then. I eat fruit all the time and have a 6% body fat, but I don't eat grains. I get my carbs from fruit and vegetables. Fruit has more than just sugar in them, cakes do not!

NO ONE is going to get fat eating fruit. Quit reading the grain industry's propaganda that you see everywhere and just eat fruit. This is why America has its obesity epidemic.

.....Also, you need to look at the calcium that fruit has. Calcium improves insulin sensitivity - you're looking at things too narrowly. Again, no one has ever gotten fat from eating fruit. Eat bananas all the time like a chimp and you're fine.

Bananas are also rich in B6 and tryptophan - precursor to the wakefulness neurotransmitter 'serotonin'.

Nobody ever flat out said "eat fruit and you will be fat"... You're clearly just throwing in your 2 cents based upon what you feel your personal experiences are and not based on any scientific analysis of macronutrient ratios. I'm glad you enjoy fruit, and nobody said not to eat it in moderation, but your take on how eating fruit all day will not incur fat gain is ridiculous, and uneducated at best.

Pietro

Thank you Pietro I'll read this stuff... I haven't studied this stuff in over a year and a half. Which means I definately have not been on top of the newest stuff out.

Anyway before i read the study my understanding according to Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook. Carbohydrates are good for good long lasting energy which is actually pretty slowly digested and than later only put into energy through the body... as when i was working out i did tons and tons of cardio. I actually loved the grounding feeling that the carbs gave me, and the fact that my insulin wasn't going up and down all the time. Really helped my emotional and energetic balance a lot better.

As my workouts evolved and my practices changed I started leaning away from so many carbs, and into WAY WAY more veggies and fruids mostly veggies but I definately had fruits too. I do eat the occasional fish, and more rarer lean chicken but honestly thats not to often. but thats because I was trying to keep a certain amount of muscle on me.

Now days I'm more interested in TCM type diet and learning from there... but i haven't been in the game for a while.

Remember what i said the point and effectiveness of the carbohydrate. Its important to understand its function... i think lots of people will just read over it and forget it... I even listed my source. If you want to check this out... we can honestly agrue till were blue in the fact but unless both sides are trying to learn and understand more about the situation than can one start to grow, evolve, do the changing thing... common does anyone forget what Taoism teaches us about change? It will happen when we grow and evolve.

Edited by WhiteTiger

It's funny, I hadn't read the boards in abotu a month, I look on here and one of the first threads is something I found on my own a few weeks ago. I've listened to most of Ori's podcasts and bought 2 of his books, I'm not strict on the diet but I follow the principles about undereating in the morning and day and overeating at night. So far my energy levels have been high the whole day. I recommend

principles about undereating in the morning and day and overeating at night. So far my energy levels have been high the whole day.

I thought it was the other way round that was recommended! Was it not?

Traditional diet, not from speculating pre-historic man's habits, but simply from the most recent few thousand years reads like this:

China:

早饭吃好,午饭吃包,晚饭吃小。

Eat a good breakfast,

a large lunch,

and a small dinner.

India:

Eat breakfast alone,

have lunch with a friend,

give your dinner to your enemy.

Pretty much the same.

Many modern western nutritionists also suggest to get your protein in the morning and skimp on dinner. Why? Simple, you have all day to work it off. Traditional wisdom also suggests talking a walk after every meal. Although our digestive system has it's own smooth muscles to move food matter, additional movement and gravity helps facilitate the process. Get your protein in the morning and you'll have all day to work with that hunk of slowly digesting. Take down some good roughage at dinner and your digestive track will be nearly clean by sleepy time. Contrary to popular opinion, food does not metabolize as well when we sleep or even lay down. The although I like the siesta culture, it's an artifact of societal malnutrition. When we eat blood moves to the digestive track. Best we aid the circulation of nutrients to the body by taking a walk, rather than slowing it further by taking a nap. Unless of course you're looking to put on fat, in which case eat a big meal and sleep it off.

If you really want to cut fat, don't eat dinner and/or exercise in the morning. Exercising before breakfast after a long night-time fast will not only give you a monster appetite for some protein in the morning but it will cut fat like no-one's business. Plus you'll feel good the whole day.

P.S. I'd be really careful about that no salt stuff.

Breakfast is the WORST meal of the day according to the Warrior Diet. If you don't want to buy the book there are about 30 free podcasts where you can get the jist of everything. I highly recommend.

Breakfast is the WORST meal of the day according to the Warrior Diet. If you don't want to buy the book there are about 30 free podcasts where you can get the jist of everything. I highly recommend.

Could you please briefly summarize the logic here?

Here's a quick little thing on what Mayo Clinic has to say about breakfast.

Chinese medicine corroborates these findings. According to the body's qi circulation throughout the day:

Yang qi spikes in the Stomach network from 7am to 9am and in the Spleen network from 9am to 11am. That means getting the food into your body between 7am and 9am so that the Spleen, in charge of digestion and distribution of nutrients, can circulate that nutrition to the body from 9am to 11am. Of course, these systems don't work like an on-off switch, they will do their job at any point throughout the day, but these are the optimal hours. The Heart network then fires up from 11am to 1pm, an ideal time for a quick meditation before a social lunch, and the Small Intestine follows from 1pm to 3pm. Meaning that again, best get food in by 1pm so the Small Intestine can digest from 1-3pm.

Could you please briefly summarize the logic here?

Here's a quick little thing on what Mayo Clinic has to say about breakfast.

Chinese medicine corroborates these findings. According to the body's qi circulation throughout the day:

Yang qi spikes in the Stomach network from 7am to 9am and in the Spleen network from 9am to 11am. That means getting the food into your body between 7am and 9am so that the Spleen, in charge of digestion and distribution of nutrients, can circulate that nutrition to the body from 9am to 11am. Of course, these systems don't work like an on-off switch, they will do their job at any point throughout the day, but these are the optimal hours. The Heart network then fires up from 11am to 1pm, an ideal time for a quick meditation before a social lunch, and the Small Intestine follows from 1pm to 3pm. Meaning that again, best get food in by 1pm so the Small Intestine can digest from 1-3pm.

Thank you for your post 松永道' , I think your explanation makes the most sense so far. Just like you I couldn't grasp the logic behind this warrior diet...

Traditional diet, not from speculating pre-historic man's habits, but simply from the most recent few thousand years reads like this:

the diet isn't based on pre-historic man, it's based on the roman, greek (modern science/medicine/philosophy), and spartan cultures. i don't find it surprising that chinese medicine is going to back up the traditional chinese diet but nonetheless check out the statistics for americans currently (all of whom advocate breakfast eating)

USA Obesity Rates Reach Epidemic Proportions

* 58 Million Overweight; 40 Million Obese; 3 Million morbidly Obese

* Eight out of 10 over 25's Overweight

* 78% of American's not meeting basic activity level recommendations

* 25% completely Sedentary

* 76% increase in Type II diabetes in adults 30-40 yrs old since 1990

the basic warrior diet principle is that in these cultures you would often do your hunting and gathering throughout the day and then at night is when you'd feast. the undereating phase does not mean do not eat, you are actually supposed to eat something but it has to be light, like fruits and vegetables (to keep your body out of a catabolic state). then in the overeating phase you have a ~4 hour time period where you consume your main meals (starting with vegetables, then proteins, then fats, carbohydrates aren't recommended).

Edited by mantis

the diet isn't based on pre-historic man, it's based on the roman, greek (modern science/medicine/philosophy), and spartan cultures. i don't find it surprising that chinese medicine is going to back up the traditional chinese diet but nonetheless check out the statistics for americans currently (all of whom advocate breakfast eating)

the basic warrior diet principle is that in these cultures you would often do your hunting and gathering throughout the day and then at night is when you'd feast. the undereating phase does not mean do not eat, you are actually supposed to eat something but it has to be light, like fruits and vegetables (to keep your body out of a catabolic state). then in the overeating phase you have a ~4 hour time period where you consume your main meals (starting with vegetables, then proteins, then fats, carbohydrates aren't recommended).

I think we can all agree the modern American diet is neither traditional nor healthy. Were I to speculate I'd say most American diets look something like this:

Little or no breakfast. Cereal, muffin, pop tarts, toast, coffee, and/or Coke.

Snack.

Something small for lunch. Sandwich and chips, soda, yogurt, fast food, etc.

Snack.

Big fat dinner.

Snack.

You don't need a radical diet that most people couldn't follow anyway to solve the obesity epidemic. Just a modicum of common sense. Eat less but better food. Exercise. It's really that simple. I have a friend who's mother went from morbidly obese to pretty thin just by walking!

The Chinese and Indian diets may well not be ideal. However, diet was one factor that contributed historically to the relative longevity and health of these populations. They have a proven track record right up until the latest invasion of trans-fats, processed foods, and refined sugars. These traditional diets, which are a facet of Indian and Chinese traditional medical systems, are one of the reasons why the two countries have such large populations.

I agree the warrior diet has a certain logic to it, but do you really want to be a guinea pig for another fad diet that no-one has ever lived into old age on? It's fine if you do, life's a grand experiment.

If you're in the market for a good cookbook based on both traditional civilized diets and present day hunter-gatherer diets check out The Nourishing Traditions Cookbook. So far the healthiest people I've ever met pretty much followed this, emphasizing recipes low in simple carbohydrates (white rice, potatoes, flour, etc).

a few people on dragon door and on the book's website have followed the diet for years and have had success with the diet and all say the same thing "i feel great!" or "i love this lifestyle!" if you think this is a lie for any reason check out the success stories on the forum

http://www.defensenutrition.com/forum/inde...c=5;sa=expand#5

this doesn't mean that the traditional chinese or indian diet is bad or ineffective, i just choose not to follow it. this diet really isn't hard to follow either, the only thing you're really asked to limit is your processed sugars, simple carbohydrates, and to limit your eating during the day to fruits and vegetables.

the reason there are so many diets is because people have different goals and you can seriously reshape yourself with diet alone. this diet is extremely convenient to follow since i don't have to worry about "missing a meal" or cooking and preparing anything while running late. if i where to have a breakfast on the go i'd just take a few strawberries and blueberries with me and be gone.

Edited by mantis

Nobody ever flat out said "eat fruit and you will be fat"... You're clearly just throwing in your 2 cents based upon what you feel your personal experiences are and not based on any scientific analysis of macronutrient ratios. I'm glad you enjoy fruit, and nobody said not to eat it in moderation, but your take on how eating fruit all day will not incur fat gain is ridiculous, and uneducated at best.

The thing is that you said to avoid the fruits with more than 4 (4!) grams of fructose -- do you know how many grams of fructose is in a can of soda? try 60!

A banana has about 5 grams of fructose and is with a favorable ratio of glucose -- to tell someone not to eat a fruit like that often is just plain WRONG. The apple, which according to fructose concentration, would be the worst fruit to eat because it has 7 grams of fructose in it. Do you see how ridiculous that is? Besides, its typically obese people who shy away from fruit.

Fructose is only bad when it is not in the form of fruits and vegetables and in overly high concentrations.

Edited by nomad

In the end everyone seems to be saying the same thing.

Processed foods=bad

Natural unprocessed foods=good

More than likely when you eat is nowhere near as important as what you eat. I seriously doubt anyone eating a nutritionally optimum diet COULD get fat on it regardless of when they eat.

The Hay Diet recommends either no breakfast or a light one of fruit. Numerous people have lived to a ripe old-healthy-age following this method, (not mixing protein and carbs and eating lots of whole natural foods).

So, eat well and the rest will likely take care of itself.

Best,

Mike

The thing is that you said to avoid the fruits with more than 4 (4!) grams of fructose -- do you know how many grams of fructose is in a can of soda? try 60!

A banana has about 5 grams of fructose and is with a favorable ratio of glucose -- to tell someone not to eat a fruit like that often is just plain WRONG. The apple, which according to fructose concentration, would be the worst fruit to eat because it has 7 grams of fructose in it. Do you see how ridiculous that is? Besides, its typically obese people who shy away from fruit.

Fructose is only bad when it is not in the form of fruits and vegetables and in overly high concentrations.

Absolutely.

Chinese people where I live consume fruit on an EPIC scale, and there are very few fat people about here. Those that are, in my observations, eat McD's, KFC and drink sugar filled drinks. Same as the western diet basically.

So, fruit is not the enemy. It is a highly beneficial part of the diet.

Sugar and carbs are the two biggest culprits.

Cut them out of your diet and you will lose weight guaranteed.

Also swim in cold water,will shrink your balls if ya have em but colds and flus become a thing of the past.

And you burn so much energy trying to maintain satsis you cant be fat.

In fact here in southern victoria Australia during winter the water temp is about 12c so its big serves of butter and full fat everything in my home.

Dont talk to me about cholesterol its all bullshit.

ps I think the warrior diet is perfect if hunting and killing is your aim.