Sign in to follow this  
Pranaman

on taiji

I was about to ask a question about what you think of this book I just bought, but i'm going to read it with undiluted perspective and see for myself.

on another note, what's the fastest way to stretch my hamstrings to where I can touch my toes?

for now, i'm just going to keep trying to touch my toes.

Edited by Pranaman

I was about to ask a question about what you think of this book I just bought, but i'm going to read it with undiluted perspective and see for myself.

on another note, what's the fastest way to stretch my hamstrings to where I can touch my toes?

Hi Pranaman,

In my experience dynamic movement is the quickest way to increase flexibility. For hamstrings this means touch one arm to a wall or something for balance, then slowly raise your right leg forwards without bending the knee until your hamstring is tight, then slowly lower it. Do this a number of times, then repeat with your left leg. Now do a second and third set, each time moving your leg a little more quickly. You need to be gentle when doing this... when you're really flexible you need to kick the leg forward with great force in order to get your foot up over your head, but when you're just beginning doing that would damage your knee.

Thomas Kurz has a book called Stretching Scientifically that provides lots of theory and practical advice about stretching which I highly recommend.

Best wishes,

JJW

try a rolfing session

take magnesium

try a low carb diet/eliminate food allergy

heat your body up by steam/sauna

you'll be there in no time..

The best hamstring stretches I've found:

1) Place your left heel on the ground with the toes up a little forward and to the side. Keep that leg straight. Bend the right leg, and while sticking your butt out, reach towards the left toes. You should feel the stretch in your left hamstring. Repeat both sides.

2) Lie on your back. Put a belt on the bottom of your foot and hold onto each end. While keeping the other leg down, slowly bring your leg up while keeping it straightened. When you feel tension don't push past it, just hold it there for at least 10 seconds.

There are theories that you should simultaneously strengthen while you mobilize...but with the hamstrings I think it isn't that big of a deal. The puppies just need some love...so anyway I've found these two stretches to be the best.

Sign in to follow this